Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69381 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 10:41:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesNintendo Switch (formerly NX)
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 59
Print
Author Topic: Nintendo Switch (formerly NX)  (Read 66415 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #880 on: March 01, 2017, 01:43:24 AM »

The OUYA is the most imporant "Gameing System" of the 21st century.
Bad_Dude 2017
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #881 on: March 01, 2017, 03:40:01 AM »

its weird that list has no biggest indie game of 2016, Mega Man No9
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #882 on: March 01, 2017, 08:33:55 AM »

https://www.wired.com/2017/03/review-nintendo-switch

Apparently there a few syncing controller bugs and badly placed plug holes.

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #883 on: March 01, 2017, 08:46:05 AM »

i saw tumbleseed at a bit bash event and i'm excited to play the full version

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #884 on: March 01, 2017, 09:02:25 AM »

There is more to indie than 2d neo retro nintendo Sad
We need more yooka laylee (not the genre, the format)

Bad_Dude 2017
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #885 on: March 02, 2017, 10:10:23 AM »

Did Friend Code save president of Nintendo life?
Are they so greedy or xenophobic they dont want to create/license search engine?
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #886 on: March 02, 2017, 10:56:03 AM »

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/292788/Becoming_a_Nintendo_Switch_indie_dev_will_be_tough_early_on.php

“Right now we are being very selective about who we’re letting into the development environment, and through our portal,” he said. “Whereas with the Wii U and 3DS, we opened that up to everybody. I think our mentality was to cast that big net, [but] you’d never know when the next great piece of content was coming, or where it was gonna come from, or where it was going to permeate.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #887 on: March 02, 2017, 11:37:59 AM »

mmmmmphm i loves me some fine 2011 pc game ports
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #888 on: March 02, 2017, 11:44:53 AM »

I would argue that the type of game Nintendo is curating for the Switch could be considered less indie, and more something along the lines of a AA type of game, where the games still have a high standard of quality, but offer less content than full priced AAA games. To me, the term indie refers better to small one-man projects that became successes against the odds, like Cave Story, Undertale, or even Minecraft at first. Nindies, On the other hand, seem to be games produced under small but well organized teams, with budgets and staff, and could be considered low profile professional games more than anything. I don't want to revive "that" discussion really, but there's more and more semantics to go on when discussing the grade and profile of a game. Plus, I think adding this term to the gaming jargon would help discuss games with a better expectation of quality.

I also don't want to take anything away from the legitimacy of the games that are coming out on the Switch by somehow stripping them of the Indie label. I just want better nomenclature and categorization for our medium. I think that's fair!

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Yeah, that's also a slight problem, but rediscovery isn't an altogether bad thing. Maybe you'll enjoy buying Minecraft for the fifth time! :^)

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #889 on: March 02, 2017, 11:47:20 AM »

what do you mean
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #890 on: March 02, 2017, 11:49:18 AM »

I would argue that the type of game Nintendo is curating for the Switch could be considered less indie, and more something along the lines of a AA type of game, where the games still have a high standard of quality, but offer less content than full priced AAA games. To me, the term indie refers better to small one-man projects that became successes against the odds, like Cave Story, Undertale, or even Minecraft at first. Nindies, On the other hand, seem to be games produced under small but well organized teams, with budgets and staff, and could be considered low profile professional games more than anything. I don't want to revive "that" discussion really, but there's more and more semantics to go on when discussing the grade and profile of a game. Plus, I think adding this term to the gaming jargon would help discuss games with a better expectation of quality.

I also don't want to take anything away from the legitimacy of the games that are coming out on the Switch by somehow stripping them of the Indie label. I just want better nomenclature and categorization for our medium. I think that's fair!

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Yeah, that's also a slight problem, but rediscovery isn't an altogether bad thing. Maybe you'll enjoy buying Minecraft for the fifth time! :^)

So do you think creative "Indie" titles will stand a chance? 1 person teams + high creativity?

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #891 on: March 02, 2017, 11:54:13 AM »

Yes, of course I do. I'm not arguing about the viability of indie games, just that we should fragment our vocabulary a bit more to allow for a wider range of expectations for content and quality when a game comes out.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #892 on: March 02, 2017, 11:56:48 AM »

"AA" or mid budget to me is more like dark souls or crusader kings, so part of the AAA game industry but not huge blockbusters

tho really lots of indies these days have publishers and stuff. the term is really more meaningless than ever.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #893 on: March 02, 2017, 12:05:31 PM »

Hm, so maybe the term I should have used is A (single A).

So, then the definitions should go a bit like this:

AAA - Big budget professional games like GTA, Skyrim and COD that have the budget and team size to crank out big games with lots of quality and content. Tend to be priced higher, but for good reasons.

AA - Medium sized professional games like DS or CK, where team size and budget are lower, but the quality bar is still high, and content tends to be moderate.

A - Games made by a small team, may be published or not, lower budgets, focuses on quality over content and has more creative freedom due to lower expectation. (I argue that Nindies actually belong in this category)

Indie - Small games made by one or two people that have enormous creative freedom due to basically no expectations or budget. May or may not succeed. Indie games can be very obscure, with sometimes a handful of people even knowing about them.

This should at least help set the bar on quality when discussing games and what we can expect from them when they come out.

Bad_Dude 2017
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #894 on: March 02, 2017, 12:39:43 PM »

my rating:
AAA - shit game
Indie - pixel shit
Retro - shit
Dark Souls - best game
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #895 on: March 02, 2017, 12:57:41 PM »

Indie games on the Switch are going to be the same indie games that are accepted on any other console actually. Ports of games that already sold a lot in other systems (Towerfall, Binding of Isaac), or that are being made by proven developers (Snake Pass, Yooka Laylee) or that have some sort of publisher to back them up (Battle Chef Brigade, Dandara). It's open but not open like Google Play or Steam where you sell a flappy bird clone made with Unity Asset store stuff.

Also, Stardew Valley was announced and it was developed by one person.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #896 on: March 02, 2017, 03:54:55 PM »

what do you mean
not just quirky 2d games, 3d game need love too, like happy hell etc...

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #897 on: March 02, 2017, 04:11:29 PM »

Well, aside from Yooka Laylee, there's Snake Pass, Runner 3, Rime, Thumper, Ittle Dew 2, Fast RMX which are all 3D.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #898 on: March 03, 2017, 10:37:42 AM »

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1349158
Nintendo Switch eShops from other regions can easily be accessed

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1349430
[Nintendo Switch] List of Japanese Launch Titles that Support Multiple Languages

You can even use your local country's credit card and purchase games with it in other country's eShops.

This is amazing and a true game changer.
It's even easier than on PS4.

definite yes to other region except US
for US, mixed report. like I can use my UK/Malaysia card for it now, but some ppl cannot

miguli
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #899 on: March 04, 2017, 04:18:29 AM »

Got Breath of the Wild yesterday, but console itself is still being delivered.  Cry
Hopefully atleast in tuesday I can enjoy Hyrule.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 59
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic