Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411589 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 07, 2024, 02:13:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsGame Maker Tuts
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 24
Print
Author Topic: Game Maker Tuts  (Read 355954 times)
Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 22, 2011, 05:09:51 AM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

Are you 'freeing' the DLL? You kinda have to do that.

if SS_unload isn't what you're talking about, then I have no idea.  I don't recall enslaving the DLL either... I put it into the folder I have my save file in.

EDIT:  I bet it is my computer, I just had another program give the same error message.

-PENCERKOFF
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 10:14:13 AM by Pencerkoff » Logged

dangerousday
Level 1

iacedrom

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: April 03, 2011, 10:17:44 PM »

Saving and loading is the topic of my question!

It's pretty common knowledge that GM's built-in save/load is awful. Instead, I can write all the relevant variables to a file, perhaps with a check digit to detect tampering. I've got the main mechanics of it down, and successfully saved and loaded data in a dummy project. Now, I don't want to make the file something stupidly easy to tamper with, like
Code:
hasHookshot = true
hasMagicWand = false
maxHP = 100
foundMainMacguffin = false

I was thinking of storing the relevant data in a temporary ds_list, writing the string outputted by ds_list_write() to a file, and appending some kind of check digit just to be on the safe side. Loading goes in the opposite direction: Read the string from the file, check the check digit, if it's bad, nuke the file, otherwise use ds_list_read() and set the variables to the data in the ds_list.

What are your thoughts on this plan? What concerns might I need to address?
orange08
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #322 on: April 09, 2011, 04:46:22 AM »

Good stuff, Chevy and Derek!  Beer!
I found the seamless screen scaling tutorial extremely helpful!  Smiley

GZ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #323 on: April 09, 2011, 08:32:11 AM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

Are you 'freeing' the DLL? You kinda have to do that.

if SS_unload isn't what you're talking about, then I have no idea.  I don't recall enslaving the DLL either... I put it into the folder I have my save file in.

EDIT:  I bet it is my computer, I just had another program give the same error message.

-PENCERKOFF

This is a known SuperSound problem that some computers experience. Here is a post the creator of the DLL made in response to this:

http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=120034&st=340&p=3135513&#entry3135513

Saving and loading is the topic of my question!

It's pretty common knowledge that GM's built-in save/load is awful. Instead, I can write all the relevant variables to a file, perhaps with a check digit to detect tampering. I've got the main mechanics of it down, and successfully saved and loaded data in a dummy project. Now, I don't want to make the file something stupidly easy to tamper with, like
Code:
hasHookshot = true
hasMagicWand = false
maxHP = 100
foundMainMacguffin = false

I was thinking of storing the relevant data in a temporary ds_list, writing the string outputted by ds_list_write() to a file, and appending some kind of check digit just to be on the safe side. Loading goes in the opposite direction: Read the string from the file, check the check digit, if it's bad, nuke the file, otherwise use ds_list_read() and set the variables to the data in the ds_list.

What are your thoughts on this plan? What concerns might I need to address?

This may not be the answer you're looking for, but why do you need to encrypt the file? I've maybe edited a save file once or twice in my life and I'm a game developer. Joe gamer most likely will never mess with the save file if you just name it .sav. The DS List method you put forward will probably do a good enough job to prevent 99% of people from messing around with it. If someone really want to mess with it, they will. They have other tools at their disposal as well (ie. memory editors, bypass the save encoding entirely).

That is unless you are making some kind of online game, but that's a whole different subject altogether.

MaloEspada
« Reply #324 on: April 29, 2011, 10:25:06 AM »

wizards of game maker, i have come to ask you a rather complex question:

how do i do color swapping in a sprite? what i mean is "changing one color into another", in the same sprite.

i know there is a script that does this, but it uses surfaces to do so and i can't get it to work with chevy's scaling script (it flickers and slowdowns a lot).

so i'm looking for any other method that does what i want, or any possible solution that makes the script mentioned above to work with chevy's.

thanks!!
fraxcell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: April 30, 2011, 12:12:46 PM »

This might not work, but see how at the end it says
Code:
surface_reset_target();

Try changing that to
Code:
surface_set_target(obj_view_controller.screen) 
which should be the surface that chevy's scripts use to draw. Just change obj_view_controller to whatever object you have controlling chevy's scripts.

MaloEspada
« Reply #326 on: April 30, 2011, 02:39:17 PM »

that worked, thanks a lot ninjutsu63!
fraxcell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 30, 2011, 05:21:34 PM »

No problem Smiley

Aquanoctis
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #328 on: May 06, 2011, 02:55:36 PM »

Does anyone know if there's a way in GM to find direction from vertical and horizontal speed. I haven't done vectors in a long time (2 years is long... ¬.¬) so I can't remember the equation(s)(?) to work it out manually...Gah!
pgil
« Reply #329 on: May 06, 2011, 03:48:44 PM »

point_direction(0,0,hspeed,vspeed) should do the trick.
Aquanoctis
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #330 on: May 06, 2011, 04:18:42 PM »

Thanks pgil, that works a treat :D
Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #331 on: May 06, 2011, 11:35:23 PM »

Here's a question: how would you go about giving an object a speed and direction such that it has a decreasing bounce?

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 07, 2011, 10:51:51 AM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

Here's a question: how would you go about giving an object a speed and direction such that it has a decreasing bounce?

Lots of ways to "bounce" in games, here's one way.  I usually set up my object velocities like this, so sorry if that part confuses you.

Code:
if x < 0 || x > room_width {
    vel_x *= -.9;
}
if y < 0 || y > room_height {
    vel_y *= -.9;
}

Basic idea is that any collision resulting in a bounce results in a slightly smaller velocity in the opposite direction.

-PENCERKOFF

Desert Dog
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 07, 2011, 03:45:03 PM »

Destral, is that a platform view you have in mind?

Destral
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #334 on: May 08, 2011, 05:04:40 PM »

3/4 top-down (think LttP), but Paul Eres already suggested using zheight in the GML questions thread - I posted there too, figuring this was more a question than a tutorial request.

Destral
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #335 on: May 08, 2011, 05:07:40 PM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

Lots of ways to "bounce" in games, here's one way.  I usually set up my object velocities like this, so sorry if that part confuses you.

Code:
if x < 0 || x > room_width {
    vel_x *= -.9;
}
if y < 0 || y > room_height {
    vel_y *= -.9;
}

Basic idea is that any collision resulting in a bounce results in a slightly smaller velocity in the opposite direction.

-PENCERKOFF

Ooh, nice. I hadn't even considered that you could use *= in the same way you use += or -=. That makes things so much easier. Thanks, Pencerkoff!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 08:03:50 PM by Destral » Logged

dangerousday
Level 1

iacedrom

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 11, 2011, 07:28:34 PM »

I just "upgraded" to 8.1, and I'm struggling to get SuperSound to work. Google brings up a relevant result. Anybody else having trouble with SuperSound in 8.1? Anybody have a fix?
Pasty
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #337 on: May 15, 2011, 10:02:58 AM »

yeah, supersound doesn't really work in 8.1. it's why i haven't updated my game file for 8.1 yet (among other reasons).

i don't have a fix myself but i'm going to wait until tsg1zzn updates the DLL. whether that will happen at all remains to be seen, really - i don't know how active he is on the GMC.

Sheepolution
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #338 on: May 22, 2011, 02:20:14 PM »

If anyone can fix this, he is my biggest hero in my entire life! The problem is.. well.. this:

I know it's already been asked. But the problem is that I have more then 1 tree in the same room. So when a tree is higher then the other, it gets confused and it doesn't work anymore.
My explanation is not really clear, but you can download a .gmk here.
http://updo.nl/file/e11b9127.gmk

Thanks.

Aquanoctis
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #339 on: May 22, 2011, 02:43:24 PM »

You could give the old
Code:
depth = -y
trick a go. I think that's how that problem is generally solved.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 24
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic