Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411562 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 10:10:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNOiSE :: Robots, scyscrapers, cats, lasers, loads of scratching and biting
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Print
Author Topic: NOiSE :: Robots, scyscrapers, cats, lasers, loads of scratching and biting  (Read 30576 times)
ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: July 15, 2010, 06:34:01 PM »

I distinctly remember seeing this in the past, but I don't recall being very excited about it at the time.
I am now excited! Officially.

By the way, are all of those notes about "dating sim elements" jokes? Because if they're not, that's amazing.

My music.
If your Twitter doesn't have enough depression and awkward pomposity, here you go.
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: July 16, 2010, 12:20:08 AM »

By the way, are all of those notes about "dating sim elements" jokes? Because if they're not, that's amazing.

I'm pretty sure the game is a full-fledged cyberpunk erotic game.

If not, I'll be severely disappointed.
Razorb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: July 17, 2010, 07:02:13 AM »

great great art i must say! Smiley got urself another fan!

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: July 17, 2010, 10:12:22 AM »

I have no clue what Big-O with a sombrero thing is but it's awesome.

hi
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: July 17, 2010, 05:44:05 PM »

This looks great.
MattF
Level 0

I eat games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: July 18, 2010, 07:55:50 PM »

Wow, the first image in that first post reminds me of a dream I had starring a robot and cat. They could combine together though...

Looking good!

\"Video games are not a mere commercial product, they are a form of artistic expression involving creation from script writers, designers and directors.\" - Donnedieu de Vabres
kinnas
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: July 26, 2010, 09:21:21 AM »

So after a schoolyear of downtime it's basically a reboot with new art direction, an altered concept and Mika (oh now it's confusing, should I call you Mika or skyy here?) redoing the engine from scratch. These past quick 'promotionals' or mood paintings or doodles are a part of the shift but that's more to do with the themes I want in the game. I guess I'll write up some new information to be added into the first post with that.

So the most obvious thing that's changed can be summed into a beautiful beautiful slogan to be spraypainted onto flags and on the back of your leather jacket which is "Fuck pixel art!"

I'm much more comfortable with a loose painterly style anyways.

This is the quick test I put together in Tiled (Now not in javascript anymore! Thank god for that!) with a quick new handpainted test tileset to see how well it translates over and how it works exactly. This is just basic geometry right now but the hand-painted aspect should come across more as I do objects and stuff to decorate the levels, chairs and statues and whatnots. Looks pretty I okay I think.

However things didn't go too well with repainting the animations for i, here's the first couple of horrible horrible tests I did with that, embarrassing stuff but it's fun to check out the progress.

Oh yeah! I also redesigned I a little bit. I simplified her down so I don't have to do left-right animations for everything and arranged her colour patterns around so they make a little bit more sense to me now. It's not terribly important but I guess her arms now both work as cannons and hands can come out when needed. (Ignore the runframe there, just another embarrassing work in progress shot)

After the terribly depressing endeavour of trying to find a new style for animations I took a weeklong break and came back to approach the problem in a more intelligent fashion and started doing iterations. The topmost one is basically a select tool solo which I think looks too cartoony and vectory, the middle one is the closest to what I envisioned in my mind, a kind of a loose cocky painterly style but I had a hard time getting it to work and it looks absolutely dreadful here, the bottom one is me tidying it up a little to see how that would work.

After some more fucking around I finally arrived at a stylization that looks pretty okay for now. Now I just need to spend a couple of weeks tweaking the animation cause I don't really know how to animate and I'm just winging it as I'm going along.

Still somewhere in my mind I picture it a lot looser, like a moving impressionist painting.

Oh and this is the last piece of art I did for noise before the downtime, I don't think I posted it here?

It's a quick sketch for how the architecture works in this world, it's a bit more gamey and interesting than the phallic blocks of windows standing shoulder-to-shoulder next to eachother approach which is in fact kind of boring.

Also:
Curse you Tigsource for having such a stupid forum engine that decides the forum template is more important than the content! Is it too annoying to keep scrolling to the right to see the pictures? I should probably rearrange the image materials so they fit better to the arbitrary annoying moods of the forum.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 09:27:09 AM by kinnas » Logged

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 26, 2010, 12:13:57 PM »

I'd suggest redrawing each frame individually if you want a more 'painterly' aspect, and encouraging it to not follow the exact same lines; it would give it that 'doodle' look, where everything subtly wiggles.
Bremze
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 26, 2010, 01:02:17 PM »

Kiss

I usually refrain myself from white noise posts, but I have a soft spot for games that try to hit a more painting-ish look. The art is amazing and I can't wait to see more.
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: July 26, 2010, 03:26:44 PM »

Will she somersault-jump like Samus? Smiley

Almost
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: July 26, 2010, 06:37:49 PM »

Loving that rat style.

A game of mine: Ten Second War
skyy
Level 2

[ SkyWhy ]

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 27, 2010, 02:10:35 AM »

Also I'm juggling work and two projects so a bit slow on the updates but shit is being made (yes, shit, not magic Big Laff ). More on the other project as it progresses. Smiley

tim-bo-jay
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: July 27, 2010, 10:31:41 AM »

When can I buy this as a large wall poster? >_> I'll admit I may have fallen in love with it and want to do unspeakable things to a poster version...but that isn't important! <_<
Aquanoctis
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: July 27, 2010, 01:15:05 PM »

That stuff is so inspiring Kinnas. I really like the new art direction. And what do you mean you don't know how to animate? That's looking pretty great to me. One thing to improve it would be to try and convey the weight of the object of bit more. For example, making the parts where her feet land on the floor longer, to portray the fact that she shifting her weight around.
Keep up the awesome work guys!  Kiss
Ego_Shiner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 27, 2010, 08:54:25 PM »

honestly i would dig this so hard if it was part painting, part pixelart but the painting is great too

*nuuuuuuuuuuuudge*

Lo
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: July 28, 2010, 12:13:26 AM »

Mika knows I love you anyway, but I think re voicing it is necessary. I love you, Kinnas.

kinnas
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: July 28, 2010, 12:23:10 AM »

Thanks for all the kind words and feedback! I'm gonna fuck around with the animations and styles a little bit more but... guuuuys, I'm sorry but I'm gonna go and pick up my (collectors edition  Cool) copy of Štarka Zwei now. Behold as work screetches to a halt and noise is lost in time forever.

skyy
Level 2

[ SkyWhy ]

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 28, 2010, 03:35:25 AM »

Ishi: To be fair, I have no idea will she somersault when she jumps. She did no do that before but maybe now that everything is changing?

Also I really love the idea of "moving impressionist painting" or how ever kinnas described it earlier. Sounds just too epic. Makes my mind go boom. Was working on the project yesterday, should have something ready for kinnas in couple of days. Hopefully.

EDIT #1: I've been making progress with some tool blahness and soon should have something for kinnas, oh joy  Kiss After that I can FINALLY start working on the actual game. Heh. Smiley That should be fast and once I get this tool stuff out of the way I should make progress quite quickly since the basic building blocks are there already. Just a matter of putting them into another language.

EDIT #2: Shame on me, I was d~~k punching myself for hours because of a simple mistake: misplaces files to ../Application/Library when they were supposed to be in /Library.  Facepalm Work continues.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 12:46:30 AM by skyy » Logged

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 24, 2010, 12:43:03 PM »

All of this is looking amazing. Kiss

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: August 24, 2010, 01:34:09 PM »

d~~k punching