Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411589 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 07, 2024, 02:14:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEXEMPLAR - A comic game about 50s-esque super heroes [New: Tech Demo V3]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: EXEMPLAR - A comic game about 50s-esque super heroes [New: Tech Demo V3]  (Read 5108 times)
rocket5tim
Level 0

outside the frame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2016, 07:04:52 PM »

The game is looking great! Love that rendering style!

OneCoin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2016, 07:09:41 PM »

Thanks so much!

OneCoin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2016, 05:26:01 AM »

We've been a little quiet this week, but that's because we've had heads down. I've been working on the table layout and card interactions and Harley has been working on the Agency introduction cinematic.

Firstly, the table. Last week, it looked something like this:

Now it looks like this:

There are a few mechanical things to notice here. Firstly, the yellow card is being played to the table first. This is a Facility card, specifically, a Barracks. You need these to house an agent, be they Super or otherwise.

Secondly, the red card is a Recruit card. When you start dragging it, the briefcase of available recruit candidates slides out for you. If you have a facility available, the agent is created. Otherwise the recruit card will return to your hand. It's possible that in the final iteration of this the briefcase won't even slide out if you can't recruit an agent.

You'll also notice that the hero is attached to the facility and you can't see them. Don't worry, when we're done, you'll see the agent walk off their card and into the Facility.

There's still a ton of placeholder stuff here, but you're starting to get a feel for what the setting will be like for the player.

As I mentioned, while I've been working on this, Harley, after whipping up these placeholder assets for me, has been working on the intro cinematic. Here's a little snippet of the first couple of shots for you.

ashtonmorris
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2016, 08:51:26 AM »

The art style with this is really refreshing. Best of luck!

Ashton Morris - Composer & Sound Designer

Roah * Bomblsinger * Goliath * Wings of Vi * Lemma * Bit Heroes * Star Command Galaxies

http://www.ashtonmorris.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ashtonmorris
OneCoin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2016, 04:37:39 AM »

A little late with this update. It was a busy weekend with the families.
Last week Harley and I had separate goals.

Harley was focusing on the video sequence more. We don't want to show too much of this and give it all away, but what we do want to show is the little snippet below. Here the player is being introduced to the room they will be in when playing. Sitting at the table, they'll be recruiting heroes, establishing field facilities, commissioning equipment and assigning agents to the world map to deal with events. It all happens here.

While he's been working on that, I've been overhauling the discard phase logic. Previously, other than the placeholder title, it was basically impossible to know what you had to do. That wasn't a big deal, this is an alpha after all, but there are certain aspects that we want to look clear when people see it being played. The original idea was always to have the cards line up across the screen, so I finally decided to batten down and sort that out.

Previously you had to "zoom in" on a card and you were then given an option to discard it. Once you've discarded down to 3 in your hand, you could continue (so many bugs back then)

Now the cards are never dealt to the hand in the first place. The player selects the cards to discard from the lineup, and the continue button appears when enough have been selected. Then all cards move to their positions, be that the hand or the discard pile.

Also fixed a pesky little bug that stopped the gameplay loop from being repeated after the game was finished and returned to the menu. There are still a lot of aspects to implement, with most phases set up as mocked out Promises the just resolve, so that hadn't really been test, but it's nicely cleaned up now.

Next up for me is being able to assign heroes to events which will probably take up all the dev time I will get this week, and then some. After that will hopefully be a first pass at the deck building. Harley will be hard at work on the trailer. I can't wait to be able to show that.

OneCoin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2016, 03:57:13 AM »

We've been working on getting the whole flow of the game's framework in place and working. It's coming along nicely.

While Harley keeps working on the trailer and the comic book tech that we want to show off in the trailer, I've been focused on getting the next stage of the gameplay in, which is assigning the heroes to events. To do that, I needed the transitions working from the table phases, where you are drawing cards, playing cards and recruiting heroes (which we've shown in previous posts) to the map phases where you're looking at the events on a world map and can assign heroes to them. And if the camera was going to move to the map, I wanted it transitioning back to the table like it was supposed to so that the loop was still usable. So I included the transition to the placeholder comic, the automatic resolution of the events (which will be the stage for me to code after the hero assigning) and then back to the table.

Here's how it's looking.

This is running without any optimisation happening yet, everything is just dumped in and running so we're pretty happy with how it's looking and very confident about the performance we expect from the final game.

The next step is to flesh out the interactions for the hero assigning. You can't really tell there, but there are some cards being made in the event scene that are replicas of the two agents that were created at the start of the game. They will be able to be assigned to events that will appear as cards on the world map. If you do, the hero will leave their card on the table. So still lots of work to do here, but we're chipping away at it.

hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2016, 08:15:57 AM »

Epileptic so beauty

benjkers
Level 0

digging for precious games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2016, 07:18:54 PM »

Seems like a quietly brilliant concept. The card ui design and anims are really clean/clear, definitely like the direction.

ACardboardRobot
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2016, 05:28:35 PM »

This looks really nice, be interested to see where it's going.
OneCoin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2016, 07:47:40 PM »

Thank you! We've been on a small break. We both are starting new day jobs and have to realign family routines. We're about to get stuch back into getting a vertical slice demo ready for people to try out.

OneCoin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2016, 02:39:00 AM »

It's been a long time since we gave an update on Exemplar, and there are a few reasons for that, which we've written about here. But we're back on track now and there'll be some new updates and stuff to see on here again in the coming weeks!

http://onecoincreations.com/been-a-while/

jordanchin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2016, 01:06:07 PM »

Oh boy, this looks great. I am pretty partial to card games like this already, but the sort of Incredibles-esque art style is really great looking.

Composer & Sound Designer
www.jordanchinmusic.com
OneCoin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2016, 02:21:52 PM »

Thank you so much Jordan. The game has take quite a turn design wise from a lot of the stuff we've shown here. It's still a card game at heart, and the art style and tech is exactly the same. But it's now much more of a strategy game too. We'll explain all about that very soon.

Thanks again for the kind words and I got your email, I'll respond to that as soon as I get a chance.

OneCoin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2016, 09:14:51 PM »

This is long overdue, again, but let us tell you, and show you, what's happening with Exemplar. This dev log has shown a lot of the "original" design for Exemplar. My last update linked to a post detailing the reasons behind the redesign, what we are calling v3, but not much on what the difference is. So let's take a closer look.

The new design, among other things, has a big advantage for us. It has a much neater vertical slice. The original design had a broad design, it had procedural cards, card playing, an interactive map, and a procedurally generated narrative and comic. It was a lot of systems. And we got a fair way through. We have the procedural cards working, with a basic hero class, agents, male and female and you can see that in the Card Generation Demo that you can download from this devlog. But the map was a long way off working, and the comic, arguably the most complicated aspect, hadn't even been started. So after months of work, we had a long way to go before we had a closed loop that was "playable".

v3 is much more concentric. It has a tight core nugget of interaction that has layers of mechanics on top of that. v3 moves the entire game to the pages of the comic. The comic is the whole thing. The core game is beating a boss. A boss is represented as a panel on the page. They start in the bottom right. Each boss has a "deck" of panels. These panels represent their assets and actions. Maybe one is a crooked cop for example. Or the robbery of a tech facility. After the boss panel is placed, the rest of the double page spread is filled with random panels from the boss's deck.

Eventually players will assign heroes to a boss similar to the v1 concept of the map. Each hero will come with it's own powers and equipment though we'll get into that in a future update. Our first vertical slice will have the heroes generated for the player. For this to work, the number of "attributes" in play will be limited. The design has many (such as strength, intelligence, agility etc) but the point is to limit the scope as much as possible to get to playable as fast as possible.

Now to beat the boss, you need to get his "health" down to 0. You do that by controlling panels on the page. So at the start, the boss owns all the panels. The player then plays powers/equipment or the heroes themselves at the "mission" panels. A power/equipment panel has an attribute and a value. These indicate which missions they can be played on and the number of dice to roll. The missions have an attribute and a difficulty rating, which is the target to reach.

If your power wins, the mission is removed, your power takes it's place and the boss takes a hit.

But if you fail, the power is removed and an injury is played on the mission. An injury blocks you from being able to attempt the mission again.

Again, in a future slice, injuries will be able to be healed with powers (imagine taking a "support" hero on a mission with buffs and healing powers). But remaining injuries on the board after beating the boss are dealt into the heroes "deck" and distributed to the board at the beginning of the next Boss that hero fights. So healing them is important. On top of that, once you have two injuries on a hero, you start having to roll the death dice for each future injury.

As you can see from the gifs, we're a fair way along this playable loop. We still have some win/loss conditions to get in and we need to bring across the art technology from v1 to replace this placeholder stuff. But we feel this new design gives a much tighter strategy loop. We still have to talk about panels of different sizes, hero and base building and combos, all of which are layers on this first slice.

We hope you found that interesting.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic