Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411581 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 05:36:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioRed Bull Music Academy
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Red Bull Music Academy  (Read 765 times)
Slide20xl
« on: February 07, 2012, 06:29:52 AM »

Hey guys;

I'll keep this as brief as I can;

The Red Bull Music Academy is an international music festival that brings together 60 musicians from around the world to one city for two weeks of inspiration and musical collaboration. (That's one group of 30 per 2 week period - so it'll be a month of new music for the city).

I went to Madrid last year as a participant and this year's RBMA is going to take place in New York. It was pretty fantastic. And yes, it's free. (Last year the age was 18, so feel free to check and apply next year if that's an issue).

I'm nowhere near as accomplished as some of the guys around here, (though I was the closest thing they had to resident chip-musician and I was one of the most classically-trained participants), so I'm pretty sure you guys have a shot.

The application is was about 60 questions last year or so and you'll need a half-hour of music. (Questions included "Draw your position in the musical universe).

Note that you'll be asked to perform live in New York if you like. (I ended up taking a video of a music based crowd-controlled video game I developed with some friends of mine).

If you're curious, I sent in the track BitGarden, the music that appears on my "Demo Disc" at bandcamp, a (midi rendition of) a short minimalist piece for string quartet,  and a (very rough) recording of a somewhat neo-romantic(?) etude-like piano piece. I also let them know that I can play viola, play piano, write rap lyrics, freestyle rap, and improvise (on piano and viola, in jazz and somewhat classical styles), along with my love for Mahler, Ravel, Lupe Fiasco, Joshua Morse, Hideki Sakamoto, Hideki Naganuma, and Ke$ha. Etc. So my "angle" was, er... diversity. Yeaaaah.

In other news, I'm up for collaboration and writing for games if anybody likes what they hear, though I can't guarantee that I'll always have time. (I discovered this upon trying to keep up the VGSoundtracks twitter and trying to keep up with that "favorite video game soundtracks" thread)I also hope it's cool with everyone if I end up tweeting at / trying to contact people that have been in my music collection for a while. (Aka my influences, aka people I need to apply to this). I'm also on Facebook and twitter.

Lastly, I'm still relatively new to the whole forum thing - so email me (Slide20xl at gmail dot com) if you want/need something and I'm not keeping up over here.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 08:04:42 AM by Slide20xl » Logged
Calum Bowen
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 06:34:45 AM »

This is interesting. Thanks for bringing it to people's attention.
Just to let you know your links are all a bit messed up!

Slide20xl
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 08:05:24 AM »

Whoops.

Thanks for drawing my attention to that.
Slide20xl
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 09:40:53 AM »

I'm going to bump this because this program is really a fantastic opportunity. Srsly.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic