Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411621 Posts in 69391 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 11, 2024, 12:19:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsUnity3D: Video Tutorials by Alec
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Unity3D: Video Tutorials by Alec  (Read 67383 times)
Theotherguy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2010, 06:09:43 PM »

You just add a collider yourself in the GUI, then set the properties there.

Component -> Physics -> Sphere Collider

You can edit a collider in script either by using

this.collider
or just
collider

Or you can probably do something like:
var sphereCollider = GetComponent(SphereCollider);

Oh I see! But how do I listen for collisions using it then? I know that collisions are handled using the "OnTriggerEnter" and "OnTriggerExit" etc. methods, but I'm not sure how to decide which collider I am getting the collisions from. If a gameObject has any colliders, do all of them call those methods?

EDIT:
It looks like game components can only have one Collider. This is very confusing.

You see, what I am trying to do is have a collision sensor attached to a game object which does not in any way affect its motion and instead just registers collisions which I can then use to handle collision events. My aim is to make a basic range sensor in which an object can find other game objects, and then follow the closest one that has certain properties.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 06:13:38 PM by Theotherguy » Logged

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2010, 07:19:41 PM »

For that you'd want a trigger. You only get OnTriggerEnter callbacks if you have the collider set to be a trigger. Triggers go through stuff.

Otherwise you use OnCollisionEnter.

To get multiple colliders, you'd set up a hierarchy. (parent other gameObjects with colliders to the main gameObject)

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2010, 05:12:06 PM »

New tutorial up! Smiley

http://infiniteammo.ca/blog/tutorial-tuesday-collision-and-messaging/

At time of writing, some of the youtube videos are still uploading. But in a few hours the whole thing should be ready to consume.

This one is a fair bit more complicated, so if you have any questions please let me know. (I may even do another video to explain it or something)

If you have any "requests" (specific things you'd like me to talk about) for next time, let me know about that too.

Gentleman

Cagey
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2010, 09:51:26 PM »

It appears that the zip file for Schpooter is corrupted. I wasn't sure if it was just me, but there have been a couple of people on youtube with the same problem.

The first tutorial was awesome though! Thanks Smiley

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2010, 10:10:35 PM »

It appears that the zip file for Schpooter is corrupted. I wasn't sure if it was just me, but there have been a couple of people on youtube with the same problem.

The first tutorial was awesome though! Thanks Smiley

I'm guessing it's only broken on Windows? I'll try to get a fix up tomorrow. Smiley

Cagey
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2010, 10:21:50 PM »

Na, I'm on Snow Leopard. I tried downloading it in Firefox instead of Chrome, but it was still borked. Not sure whats going on... it appears to be downloading a corrupted zip of the Schpooter app.

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2010, 01:51:59 PM »

I reuploaded the project file, please let me know if it works now or not. (seems to work okay for me)

http://infiniteammo.ca/unitytutorials/UnityTutorial02.zip

Cagey
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2010, 03:50:30 PM »

That worked. Thanks Smiley

Rskennan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2010, 12:04:20 AM »

I just want to thank you for these tutorials. I usually dislike video tutorials for things like blender, since I learn abstract things best by reading, but for some reason your stuff goes over well with me.

Anyway, the latest tutorial on messaging and colliders is exactly what I needed to find today. I had gotten the logic of how my interactions would need to work in unity, made my prefabs, and promptly got stuck since I come more from the right brained side of things. This kind of "do this, do that" instruction is very helpful for helping me exercise the other half of my brain.

I'll watch the last 2 or 3 videos in this tutorial a couple more times, but I'm on my way to getting it. And this coming from a guy who hasn't programmed since 8th grade with a TRS-80. :D

Thanks.   
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2010, 12:08:23 AM »

Beer!

skyy
Level 2

[ SkyWhy ]

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2010, 05:07:21 PM »

Thank you.

I personally don't use Unity, but I find it so interesting to see how technology works so I ended up sitting down, installing Unity and following through your tutorials. Just to at least have the BASIC OF BASICS knowledge on Unity too just in case I might need it.  Shrug

You never know where the road may lead you.
Great job with the tutorials. Easy to follow and you take time explain how stuff works. Rock on  Hand Thumbs Up Right

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2010, 10:20:27 AM »

Here's a new one! I released the project files for my GammaIV entry: (with video overview) http://bit.ly/dpB9zn  Beer!

bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2010, 10:55:18 PM »

Wow! Thanks Alec - amazing resource! SmileyHand Thumbs Up Right

Makes me a little sad that I'm in the middle of three projects none of which are using Unity... maybe next time.

LeFishy
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2010, 06:41:15 PM »

Wow! Thanks Alec - amazing resource! SmileyHand Thumbs Up Right

Makes me a little sad that I'm in the middle of three projects none of which are using Unity... maybe next time.

ahem...

Yeah maybe I should watch these Tongue
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2010, 05:40:52 AM »

Here's a new one, about the built-in Unity GUI stuff. (basics)

http://infiniteammo.ca/blog/tutorial-thursdays-super-simple-title-screen/

Gentleman

Eraser
« Reply #75 on: May 08, 2010, 03:31:06 AM »

Here's a new one, about the built-in Unity GUI stuff. (basics)

http://infiniteammo.ca/blog/tutorial-thursdays-super-simple-title-screen/

Gentleman

Having a tutorial for a GUI of 3d models would be much appreciated, as your video hinted at for a future tutorial. I imagine all I'd need to do is figure out how to check if a model has the mouse over it / click on it and I'd be able to do whatever other effects I want myself.
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2010, 08:44:13 AM »

This doesn't cover mouse stuff (yet), but it does cover using 3D models as menus as well as iTween, which is a fantastic, free Unity library.

http://infiniteammo.ca/blog/tutorial-thursday-3d-menus/

Hint about using mouse stuff with 3D menus... See the OnMouse* functions in this list:

http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/ScriptReference/MonoBehaviour.html

Choco Man123
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2010, 04:13:40 PM »

So I love the tutorials Grin  and you are open to suggestions for the future so I thought I'd post my thoughts. I think it would be totally awesome if you could do an AI tutorial. Keep it up! Wizard
Eraser
« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2010, 08:13:49 PM »

The only thing that's currently bugging me about Unity is (based off of a forum post on the unity forums) that it doesn't do real time lighting with, I'm guessing raycasting so light will actually not go through walls (and other models) to cast shadows.
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: May 18, 2010, 08:21:46 PM »

Huh? No realtime engine does true raytracing. But you can make walls cast shadows and stuff...

Only in Unity pro though.  Cool

Unity 3.0 is going to have crazy fast lighting options (deferred, and crazy shadow mapping stuff)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic