Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411609 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: NESIA

May 09, 2024, 07:21:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeSlow moving projectiles and the dance
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Slow moving projectiles and the dance  (Read 3523 times)
bigbear
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2017, 02:01:36 PM »

One thing that makes shooters (3d and 2d alike) stand out from others IMHO is slower moving projectiles that allow for dodging and maneuvering. This slow projectile dance is what I try to capture in all of my shooter games. I was first inspired by Tribes, and then by Infantry. Instead of just aiming up a target and firing, one had to engage in an elegant dance with one's opponent, strafing and dodging their stream of fire while trying to force them into yours. These games also had 100% projectile inheritance, which pairs nicely with manage-ably low velocities.
xinasha
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 01:55:25 PM »

Reminds me of people playing certain heroes in Overwatch...definitely adds a depth to the gameplay where now it's not just about your aiming skills, but also your predictive ability as you judge what your opponent will do next.
bigbear
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 07:45:37 AM »

Yes! I forgot to mention that. And to ask everyone what their favorite example of slow projectiles is. Also wanna say don't get me wrong, I love fast projectiles too (I played a lot of Counter-Strike), but the Spinfusor disc launcher from tribes is an iconic example of dodging and shoot. (Plus, SKIING)
Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 01:27:08 AM »

Yes! I forgot to mention that. And to ask everyone what their favorite example of slow projectiles is. Also wanna say don't get me wrong, I love fast projectiles too (I played a lot of Counter-Strike), but the Spinfusor disc launcher from tribes is an iconic example of dodging and shoot. (Plus, SKIING)
the rocket launcher in UT2004 was JUST fast enough to be challenging to dodge but it was still humanly possible to weave your way through an incoming barrage of rockets...NOTHING in that game made you feel more of a badass than dodging  multiple spreads of rockets, closing in, and melee killing someone. Very similar actually to dodging the discs in tribes. 2k4 and tribes actually had a lot in common, they're part of the rare group of fps games that were mostly about movement mechanics and tactics.

It's crazy too how once you've played both games for a while you can make insane shot leads, firing a disk/flak ball/rocket a long distance at a fast moving target without really thinking and you just start mentally auto-leading to the exact spot they'll be at. I knew someone who was crazy good with the mortar in tribes and could straight up NAIL someone skiiing at full speed with it...he didn't even know how he was able to do it, it was just instinct because it was his fav weapon.

-Fuzzy Spider
bigbear
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 08:39:33 AM »

I played UT2k4 a bit but something about the game flow couldn't keep me hooked the way Tribes did. But I did enjoy that rocket launcher. And yeah in Tribes there were some impressive snipers and such, but nothing like the crazy mortar users who somehow subconsciously do differential equations to know where they're gonna be Tongue Or mid-air to mid-air spinfusor head-shots.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic