Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411615 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 10, 2024, 05:41:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallGeoff Gibson launches 8bitfunding
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Geoff Gibson launches 8bitfunding  (Read 6089 times)
wogan
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2011, 10:24:27 AM »

Geoff Gibson from diygamer has just launched his new website "8BitFunding"..
He's written on diygamer:
The concept is pretty simple, a developer will create a project with a video, description, and perks. They will then market that project to their fans, friends, and family in an attempt to secure funds for their project. The idea is that people will like the project, see what they can get via perks and then contribute accordingly.

and 8bitfunding is here

Currently it looks like there are 7 projects on there.. they range in scope quite dramatically... and range in $-goal a fair bit also (from $1000 to $20,000... but with Zeboyd Games claiming it'd cost them $3000 to do the 2-3 day job of porting an XNA X360 game to XNA PC, $20,000 for the complete development of a game is almost a bargain!!!)

It's basically "Kickstarter for games".

Opinions? Ideas? Scepticism?

Yeaaahhhh WOGAN!
Peevish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 11:06:03 AM »

My game is right here.

The site is still a bit buggy, but the launch announcement just went live an hour or so ago and I've got $20 pledged already, so that's exciting.

Kickstarter uses an invitation-only system, but 8-Bit Funding is open to anyone who can put together a pitch that isn't a scam. I'm curious: if it gets the kind of attention I'd hope it gets, will it devolve into a free-for-all as every indie under the sun tries to crowd-fund a project?

Nevertheless, I'm very excited that it exists right now, and I'll be watching the next 30 days very closely. Best of luck to anyone else who made a project page!
floatstarpx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 11:11:42 AM »

Yeah, we got on-board for the launch too (HERE)... We've got some fun perks including a "Get your face in the game" which I hope will be popular.

To be honest, I know very little about kickstarter or similar sites... but this looked like a good way for us to be able to improve certain areas of our game (and offer pre-orders/cool perks/whatever) - so we thought we'd get involved.
Booger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 11:31:36 AM »

I'd say it must be a requirement to film yourself making the pitch.  That's the surefire way to weed out those who want to make a quick buck -- there's a face we can hunt down if the dev doesn't make good his promise!!!

Even a camera-shy anti-social hermit like myself would force myself in front of a webcam and explain my project in a down-to-earth manner if I had a project I really feel passionately about.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 01:14:17 PM »

I don't know if this will work as well for just videogames, time will tell.
Will people be willing to give $20,000 to a project that might take ages to get finished or peter out like most amateur videogames projects do?
Is it USA only?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 02:11:59 PM »

I believe it's anywhere that PayPal operate. Or that's the impression they give in the IndieGamesBlog interview anyway.

Peevish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 05:20:33 PM »

It's international, that's one of the points they stress. You can read a bit more in the IndieGames.com interview: http://www.indiegames.com/blog/2011/01/8bit_funding_a_new_pledge_site.html
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 08:50:25 PM by Peevish » Logged
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 06:13:45 PM »

I say that because kickstarter is for usa projects only, noone outside of USA should donate to kickstarter projects IMO.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 08:51:49 AM »

o

Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 11:41:49 AM »

I'd love to see a record of all the projects that have been funded by these initiatives, and their status 6-12 months since receiving funding.

Are there any good examples of pledges being fulfilled?

twitter: @docky
bento_smile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 11:46:29 AM »

I wish people would post more about who they are or give links to past projects they've completed. Sad If I don't know who people are why should I give them money? I don't know if they've finished a game before, so can I trust them to finish one that's up for funding? A video is all well and good, but it doesn't show me that you can make games.
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 11:50:30 AM »

I wish people would post more about who they are or give links to past projects they've completed. Sad If I don't know who people are why should I give them money? I don't know if they've finished a game before, so can I trust them to finish one that's up for funding? A video is all well and good, but it doesn't show me that you can make games.

Yep, exactly. This site got me thinking about how I would try to raise funds for my project with this, and I will certainly try to show people my past games, put up a video of myself and other devs talking and release a new screenshot or video once in a while to show the progress.

bento_smile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 12:20:28 PM »

Why is Dreamcasters' Duel asking for funding on both 8bit and Kickstarter?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1684194740/dreamcasters-duel
http://www.8bitfunding.com/project_details.php?p_id=62
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 12:25:00 PM »

To get more attention and thus more money I suppose.

DJ_Link
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 02:18:38 PM »

Will people be willing to give $20,000 to a project that might take ages to get finished or peter out like most amateur videogames projects do?
Is it USA only?

It's worldwide. My own project is there http://8bitfunding.com/project_details.php?p_id=64. Altough we are asking for 20k We are estimating 10 months of development, it's not a several years project.

tametick
Level 3

Could take weeks, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2011, 03:34:34 PM »

Is it USA only?

It's worldwide. My own project is there http://8bitfunding.com/project_details.php?p_id=64. Altough we are asking for 20k We are estimating 10 months of development, it's not a several years project.

I'm in Europe as well (Austria) - that was obviously a pretty important reason for picking 8bf rather than kickstarter for my project.

Dustin Smith
Level 10

Eskimo James Dean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2011, 07:09:09 PM »

to put it bluntly, i wouldn't spend a cent on anyone that hasn't already made a game i've enjoyed immensely. i'd throw money at jajitsu, for example, because jables's adventure was a great game with a lot of promise. random person off the internet? not so much.

ink.inc
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2011, 11:15:39 PM »

to put it bluntly, i wouldn't spend a cent on anyone that hasn't already made a game i've enjoyed immensely. i'd throw money at jajitsu, for example, because jables's adventure was a great game with a lot of promise. random person off the internet? not so much.

Pretty much, yeah. Unless the developer has already made something near and dear to me (Petri Purho and cactus are the only two that come to mind immediately), my money's just too dear for me to drop it into what could potentially be a never-ending hole.
tametick
Level 3

Could take weeks, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2011, 11:46:41 PM »

Pretty much, yeah. Unless the developer has already made something near and dear to me (Petri Purho and cactus are the only two that come to mind immediately), my money's just too dear for me to drop it into what could potentially be a never-ending hole.

I think they are a lot less likely to actually need your money, given their renown.

ink.inc
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2011, 12:19:13 AM »

I was speaking in hypothetical terms, but you're right. Still, if the event ever occurred, I'd be there to support em. I've enjoyed far too much of their crap to do otherwise.

Good luck to all of those who've entered, though. 
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic