Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411632 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 13, 2024, 04:34:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingExpletive Art Games
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Expletive Art Games  (Read 3370 times)
wademcgillis
« on: March 05, 2010, 10:36:43 AM »

Expletive them, seriously.

Download: http://gamejolt.com/freeware/games/expletive-art-games/download/1753/

Screenshot:
deathtotheweird
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 03:38:21 PM »

This is garbage. What was the point of this?
wademcgillis
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 04:42:24 PM »

Art games are garbage. What is the point of them?
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 07:32:35 PM »

To go into the trash and take people's secrets away.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Mentalpatient109
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 09:32:28 PM »

this is silly. youre silly. ive seen much better mockeries of art games.
Zenorf
Level 1

Because it had to be done

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 09:47:03 PM »

What...
What?
Whaaaaaa?
I...
no..

Just no.

P.S. Moi's avatar makes me feel uneasy. More so after looking at that brain gouge of a game.

Failure is not an option, but it's always a possibility.

www.radiationburn.net
FiaStarta
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 05:50:23 AM »

I'm not gonna play that (if it even is really a game), but it doesn't look worse than other art games. In fact, that screenshot looks better than at least 2 games in the forum's main page. I restrained myself from commenting about those, as there would probably be some hippie to tell me that I don't understand art and that a crap pixellated fish is the most amazing thing ever, and that I'm a troll for attempting to ruin all the fun that the author obviously deserved after spending at least 10min making his game.
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 07:33:09 AM »

Joke has been done before, and better

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
CosmicMaher
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 04:08:29 AM »

Art games are garbage. What is the point of them?

pissing you off i hope
bento_smile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 10:53:38 AM »

I like that someone has made a parody of art game parody games. Right? Right?!?  Shrug
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 11:48:53 AM »

I like that someone has made a parody of art game parody games. Right? Right?!?  Shrug
Thet would end up nowhere.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 12:21:23 PM »

Art games have created in you a reaction. The reaction of anger towards art games. That means art games have won.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 01:02:58 PM by Melly » Logged

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2010, 12:43:30 PM »

The only thing worse than art games is getting mad about and/or making fun of art games.

tweet tweet @j_younger
pgil
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2010, 12:59:50 PM »

I like the subtle way you pointed out art games are pretentious and have bad graphics.
FiaStarta
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2010, 01:05:07 PM »

That means art games have won.

"Art" has won already. The most expensive painting is a Pollock, which pretty much looks like someone vomitted all over a canvas.
(thank god no money is going into art games.. yet oh wait I remember a popular art game that has been sponsored by my own country Sad )

I just wished art games would go where art is, in special galleries where they wouldn't annoy anyone.
I don't even understand why it's only now that we're being attacked by snobs. I mean, surely a crap Garfield that disappears when you press ctrl could have existed 20 years ago (ok maybe 20 years ago that crap would have looked more like a game). Is it because snobs are now praising each other, or because programming tools have been dumbed down so much that retards can now use them to express what they should have kept for themselves?

And really, I shouldn't mind, but all that buzz around shit games is like spitting on the face of those who have put work in their games.

I like the subtle way you pointed out art games are pretentious and have bad graphics.

That's pretty much the definition of an art game. If a game author had any talent & it was showing, his game would be categorized as mainstream.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 01:11:48 PM by FiaStarta » Logged
CosmicMaher
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2010, 01:11:32 PM »

Well except it's not like that at all, but alright Smiley
Zenorf
Level 1

Because it had to be done

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2010, 01:13:08 PM »

And really, I shouldn't mind, but all that buzz around shit games is like spitting on the face of those who have put work in their games.

Actually that's a really good point. I thought that about art but never about games. With art games It's always been a case of we all gather round, laugh and point fingers while we probably completely ignore a perfectly good enjoyable, critically praised actual indie game.

I feel a little ashamed now.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 01:45:38 PM by Zenorf » Logged

Failure is not an option, but it's always a possibility.

www.radiationburn.net
CosmicMaher
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2010, 01:15:54 PM »

Good point.
FiaStarta
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2010, 01:34:52 PM »

laugh and point fingers while we probably completely ignore a perfectly good enjoyable, critically praised actual indie game.

..or good game at all. 
I mean we can surely find points to critisize in mainstream games, blockbusters are made for the masses & that doesn't come without compromises. 
But seriously, when it's about visual art, Assassins Creed 2's trailer is a real beauty (I haven't even tried the game). So it hurts when I see things like "he's all about graphics" talking about Au Sable's maker. Maybe his game's gameplay could be praised, but the graphics? Am I blind that I'm missing the beauty here? OR is it just a biased view, "he's a little independent game maker, not making money, so having a very small talent makes him a great artist" vs "they're a huge company, their game is commercial, so they're no real artists, they're just paid to do it"?  Aren't the people who worked on that video, well, real people too?  Would they have been better artists if their game had been free? Or do they stop being real artists as soon as too many people are praising them?
Here I was talking about visual arts, but it would be the same for gameplay, as "art games" are usually crap to play as well, when there's even anything to play.
CosmicMaher
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2010, 01:39:53 PM »

You don't think Au Sable looks good? I think it looks good independent of any criteria like "oh he's indie so he has less money". It flat-out looks good because Amon26 has a sense of the aesthetic he is trying to go for, and the actual visual design skill to make it happen.

I can understand just thinking it looks bad from personal taste, but most artists, myself included, would tell you he has very good composition and use of his visual elements. Obviously whether you buy that or not is up to you, but by any actual standard of visual art, it's very good, and that has nothing to do with his income.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic