Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411631 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 12, 2024, 07:07:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingValthirian Arc
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Valthirian Arc  (Read 1604 times)
Nessiah
Level 1

Today is a gift that's why it's called the present

View Profile WWW
« on: March 05, 2010, 03:47:26 PM »

Valthirian Arc is a game developed with Lucidrine. The Player takes on the role of the Principal of an Academy in a magical fantasy world, known as Valthiria, and takes on the role of overseeing the training of the students and managing the school itself, teaching the young warrior and mage apprentices to cast magic and wield weaponry.

Enroll new students, train them, grade them up, give them examinations, take care of their mood, accept quests from nearby villagers, and make your Academy the most famous, prestige Academy of Valthiria!

Valthirian Arc Features System-Generated Characters to populate your academy, so there are hundreds of possibility of what your students become. The map is also Generated, you won't encounter the same field each battle Smiley.

Play it over here!:
http://www.arcadebomb.com/play/valthirian_arc.html
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/529514

I hope you guys will enjoy it~!   
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 07:24:58 PM by Nessiah » Logged

MaloEspada
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 07:04:47 AM »

The art is all yours hmm, yes?
It looks goddamn beautiful. Will try in a few hours.

EDIT: Ok, I played it a bit til I got a level 10 student. It's fun and reminds me A LOT of Final Fantasy Tactics Adv. The mission style, the class upgrades, even the tunes are reminiscent of that haha. Not that it's a bad thing.

The art style is fine, which I could play longer to see other classes.
I couldn't figure out how to use spells in battle though...

I think it's a fine game, but would be better as a downloadable instead of play-online?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 12:09:42 PM by rdein » Logged
BinaryMind
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 04:15:59 PM »

I second the artwork. Awesome!

I had two problems with it: sometimes I had to maneuver around the ponds to get where I wanted to go. This wasn't so much a problem until a few of my characters were left behind stuck there. There could be some automatic tracking around those things or something of the sort. Also, I found myself wandering looking for the remaining enemies a bit too often. A minimap showing the remaining or even a counter would be helpful.

Still, this is a pretty good game. It was super-easy to get into. And the whole Rune checklist thing will probably keep me playing until I get them all Tongue!
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 05:48:31 PM »

I spent most of my day at work yesterday playing this, and I recommended it to a couple personal friends as well. I really enjoyed it. The art is very cute, very well done.

I did come up with the following suggestions.
- The voice sounds are random. It was kind of jarring to hear the female voices when I didn't have any female characters onscreen / left alive (and vice versa for males). That could be fixed.
- The "Gather" thing seemed like a great alternative to implementing more complex, effective and costly pathfinding - but why should the player be forced to use in game resource (mana) to pay for the decision of the coder? Seems kinda unfair.
- Some next/prev buttons when you're on the "organize student" screen would be a terrific improvement. Even better if it was next/prev, and next/prev in party.
- The quest offering was too absolutely random. There was one occaision when all four quests were the exact same one, and a few occaisions where they were all errand or all hunt type. This got to be a real problem for my school when it happened 3 times in a row and the missions were all too hard for my characters, and then the fourth week, I got wiped out by the Apprentice. Sad

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Nessiah
Level 1

Today is a gift that's why it's called the present

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 07:28:35 PM »

Thank you very much for the feedback everyone! We greatly appreciate it :D *reads everything again*

I did come up with the following suggestions.
- The voice sounds are random. It was kind of jarring to hear the female voices when I didn't have any female characters onscreen / left alive (and vice versa for males). That could be fixed.

I'll tell Fandrey about this :D But if it gets irritating you can turn off the music voices Smiley

- The "Gather" thing seemed like a great alternative to implementing more complex, effective and costly pathfinding - but why should the player be forced to use in game resource (mana) to pay for the decision of the coder? Seems kinda unfair.

Ah yes, We're sorry about this, we were pressed in time and fandrey isn't really good with Pathfinding Sad

- Some next/prev buttons when you're on the "organize student" screen would be a terrific improvement. Even better if it was next/prev, and next/prev in party.

Noted :D

- The quest offering was too absolutely random. There was one occaision when all four quests were the exact same one, and a few occaisions where they were all errand or all hunt type. This got to be a real problem for my school when it happened 3 times in a row and the missions were all too hard for my characters, and then the fourth week, I got wiped out by the Apprentice. Sad

Ah! I'll see what we can do about this, thank you very much for the input!
We'll make VA2 much better! Thank you very much!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 07:37:28 PM by Nessiah » Logged

supershigi
Level 7

No Yoshi is an Island

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 10:51:08 PM »

Hey is this Archeia?  I saw your post over at Spongen (I go by the same name over there).  Died was telling me that you're a really great artist Smiley  Anyways, I'll definitely check this out later, it looks great!  What program did you use to develop it?

Laura Shigihara | Composer and Game Designer
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter
Zaphos
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 11:29:37 PM »

Very pretty!

The writing seems to have some issues with grammar -- for example it says "the student has grow some stats" when you grade UP a character.  And, looking at the quests I see "... in one of our project."

The battle system feels a bit ... oversimplified?  Maybe it gets more interesting later.

Some amount of pathfinding would be nice ...
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic