Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411630 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 12, 2024, 03:03:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingGarfeild Adventure
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Garfeild Adventure  (Read 8201 times)
CosmicMaher
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2010, 02:22:01 PM »

I can agree with that. I like discussing abstract art for its compositional and purely emotional values, but you can only symbolize so much with some color and shapes. Unless you're a game because then you also have mechanical interaction ala the marriage.
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2010, 02:33:23 PM »

Too deep for you.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2010, 02:41:23 PM »

There are people staring at abstract art in galleries, and they're dead serious. And no one will ever dare to give his real opinion about the crap he's watching, as he'd pass for uneducated.
I guess the reason no one says anything bad about abstract art in a gallery is that most people aren't dumb enough to pay for and/or waste their time on something they know they're not going to like.

Also, there's people bashing "modern" art everywhere and for some reason, each of them thinks they're the only one fighting against a "tyranny of shit" or something, that they're the one person on this planet seeing through the scam that so many mindless sheep fall for, which is an attitude frighteningly close to what they accuse modern art of being.

But alas, this is not an art game, it's a silly joke so stop getting your panties in a bunch, or if you're trolling, prepare to have your E-skull caved in by the almighty banhammer in the near future.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 02:45:07 PM by C.A. Sinclair » Logged
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2010, 02:48:42 PM »

The control key doesn't do anything at all on safari/macintosh

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2010, 02:51:59 PM »

Aaaand we go headfirst into art discussion.

WHAT ARE THE ODDS?

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2010, 02:57:24 PM »

Aaaand we go headfirst into art discussion.

WHAT ARE THE ODDS?
You know what? I reall fucking hate art discussions, but I constantly find myself getting drawn into them, it's like an addiction.  Crazy
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2010, 03:15:00 PM »

There are help groups for that my friend.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
CosmicMaher
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2010, 03:52:27 PM »

Well back on topic, this...uh...experience was very odd...
PaleFox
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2010, 04:03:03 PM »

I am here to talk about a very meaningful game that has been released by our good friend Radix: Garfeild Adventure. At face value a very simple game, but there are hidden currents of meaning. Look deeper:

Garfeild Adventure is among the great works of appropriated imagery, and its message will, I think, touch you. Playing is an exercise in futility: the protagonist plays Garfield, but in a twist the player is not the hero; it is Jon who represents the force of good, and the player must destroy that good and calm so that he may "win" the "game." One must turn against the person who raised one and destroy him or her, that is the message here. But look deeper:

as in another great work, Execution, the player is given a choice, but not an obvious one. Truly to play is to win is to lose, but to not play is to negate both possibilities and thus win the true victory of self-renewal. This brings me to a major point: the title is misspelled, yes, and this might lead one to disparage the game, but look deeper:

this error is not a mistake, but a sign that Garfield is at nature flawed, that he must come to terms with himself, so that he may begin to heal the damaged he must have suffered as a kitten (symbolized by the spiders). This flawed nature is also the cause of the idiosyncratic imagery and graphical design of the game; the interesting design choices highlight his inner turmoil and -- possibly -- schizophrenia.

Play Garfeild Adventure.
CosmicMaher
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2010, 04:57:37 PM »

Facepalm
increpare
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2010, 05:45:13 PM »

Someone (by which I mean Fuzz) should frontpage this for some hilarious flames.

Why the hell would you want to do that?  I don't think that a fear of upsetting people should affect whether or not to post something, but posting something with the chief purpose of pissing people off?  That's incredibly condescending.  There's enough hate and posturing around here already, guys...
Fuzz
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2010, 06:06:31 PM »

Someone (by which I mean Fuzz) should frontpage this for some hilarious flames.

Why the hell would you want to do that?  I don't think that a fear of upsetting people should affect whether or not to post something, but posting something with the chief purpose of pissing people off?  That's incredibly condescending.  There's enough hate and posturing around here already, guys...

actually i was planning on frontpaging it anyway, because i liked it
increpare
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2010, 06:21:16 PM »

actually i was planning on frontpaging it anyway, because i liked it
That's a great reason to frontpage it!
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2010, 07:04:14 PM »

How could you be so incredibly silly as to take this in any way seriously?

Maybe you're not, but believe me, some are.

There are people staring at abstract art in galleries, and they're dead serious. And no one will ever dare to give his real opinion about the crap he's watching, as he'd pass for uneducated. This is slowly happening to games here, so some of you need to get their faces slapped for them to wake up. Both the little brats who make shmups that delete files, and the snobs who are praising them, so that they will continue doing it.

WARNING! A HUGE FRONTPAGE COMMENTER APPROACHES!

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2010, 08:49:07 PM »

Garfeild message seems pretty clear to me, maybe fiastarta is too young to grasp the cultural references.
Berlin wall being one of the most obvious ones here.
I think I'm gonna go and delete my account to show my appreciation in a cultured way Gentleman

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2010, 10:33:39 PM »

I thought Odie was the most interesting image in the game - his drooling, vacant grin as he stands uncomprehendingly over the corpse of his master reminded me of Lovecraft's 'Blind Idiot God', a symbol of the universe which is not only uncaring but unknowing, unconscious. While Garfield represents the self-destructive urges that actively attack Jon from within, Odie represents the outer torment of an existence that does not give a shit, nor is able to give a shit due to its own base stupidity. The blackness that follows Odie's appearance tells us that Garfield too shall in time disappear into the endless futility of Odie - that is, evil and hatred and constructs of mankind, which vanish when mankind is gone. But the Odie-Void is eternal.

Mentalpatient109
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2010, 11:32:31 PM »

so yeah id say this pretty much changed my life.
bento_smile
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2010, 05:16:43 AM »

Oh, this game! I laughed and then I cried!  Cheesy
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2010, 05:54:36 AM »

I wept and then I laughed. Now with a handful of kleenex and a blotchy, ruddy visage, I salute you, Radix. The experience was simply sublime.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
FiaStarta
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2010, 10:52:57 AM »

But alas, this is not an art game, it's a silly joke so stop getting your panties in a bunch, or if you're trolling, prepare to have your E-skull caved in by the almighty banhammer in the near future.

Nice, claiming that the game is pretty much a joke designed to waste people's time, thus trolling by definition, in order to accuse & threaten commenters?
Bye pretentious fuck. If you keep flooding this forum with crap I won't be missing much, I can read the same at pigscene.com.

Oh & "super sad fish", "speedlight monkey", are they art or jokes too? Please tell me, because I obviously can't tell art from jokes. I wouldn't want to pass for a retard again you know, please tell me when you think a game is art so that I can agree with you.

Are fake moustaches & monocles still trendy btw? I'll have to find myself an avatar with chest hair art or whatever is hip among mac hippies with their beatles haircut, for me to show I'm part of your artsy community who's the authority on art vs jokes.
Who's the fashion guru around? Please, I need to look like him, I wouldn't want to miss the next meme he's coming up with.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 11:07:53 AM by FiaStarta » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic