Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411630 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 12, 2024, 11:16:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSword of Legends - Demo
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Sword of Legends - Demo  (Read 2825 times)
Deadheat
Level 0

RAWR!

View Profile WWW
« on: March 07, 2010, 06:20:30 AM »

Hey guys.

Sword of Legends is a action-RPG platformer with emphasis on exploration and hack & slash gameplay. Join Adon as he embarks on his journey across a vast and medieval fantasy world, learning special sword techniques and equipping a variety of magical items in this classically-themed adventure.

Artwork & Design
Phubans - http://phubans.com

Programming
Deadheat - http://dead-heat.com

Music
David Newton - http://wired.st-and.ac.uk/~wong/

This was basically the stage we got to. Most of the game engine is complete, we were basically just up to developing the story. Maybe one day progress will continue, but at the moment it's currently on hold. Work seems to get in the way of everything now days.

http://gamejolt.com/freeware/games/sword-of-legends-demo/download/1744/

Thanks guys.
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 10:38:09 AM »

Would be great to see more work from you guys. This is great looking and madhouse looks awesome too.

Crimsontide
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 01:11:55 PM »

I get a "Failed to load the game data. File seems corrupt." error ;(
Christian223
Level 1

DRAGON was robot

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 04:39:38 PM »

I played it, the fighting wasn't much fun to me, and there wasn't much exploration either, but the engine has potential. The story didn't capture my imagination, but I got surprised at the ending. The graphics looks too pixeled to my taste, and it also looks very desaturated.

Other than that, it's a great project with lots of potential, great work. (I'm wokring on a game like yours, by the way  Gentleman  Grin)
Deadheat
Level 0

RAWR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 07:45:16 AM »

Would be great to see more work from you guys. This is great looking and madhouse looks awesome too.
Thanks. Madhouse is Phubans own work and not a collaboration.

I get a "Failed to load the game data. File seems corrupt." error ;(
Did you unzip it...?

I played it, the fighting wasn't much fun to me, and there wasn't much exploration either, but the engine has potential. The story didn't capture my imagination, but I got surprised at the ending. The graphics looks too pixeled to my taste, and it also looks very desaturated.

Other than that, it's a great project with lots of potential, great work. (I'm wokring on a game like yours, by the way  Gentleman  Grin)
Yeah it only shows off a small portion of the game engine unfortunately Sad
Crimsontide
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 10:25:08 AM »

Ya I unzipped it.  I'm not sure how else I could have run it.  The executable was in the zip...
thomasmahler
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 11:12:21 AM »

I saw this stuff on that pixel prospector page.

Thought it's freaking awesome - it's like Wonderboy in Monsterworld with a leveling system and more up-to-date gameplay mechanics. Really cool stuff, hope you guys finish it.

Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 11:49:09 AM »

Very cute game! Grin I love the style. Two suggestions:

- Make the Escape key pause the game, not totally quit it.  Sad

- A little detail that would help the retro feeling: make the characters line up with the fake pixels. Right now they're able to move "half" a pixel. I don't know if it is really that noticeable or if I just have OCD  Embarrassed, but I don't think it'd hurt to fix that up.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 11:57:22 AM by Skofo » Logged

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Deadheat
Level 0

RAWR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 03:20:17 PM »

Ya I unzipped it.  I'm not sure how else I could have run it.  The executable was in the zip...
Well you can still click on the executable by playing it from inside the .zip still you know Tongue

Very cute game! Grin I love the style. Two suggestions:

- Make the Escape key pause the game, not totally quit it.  Sad

- A little detail that would help the retro feeling: make the characters line up with the fake pixels. Right now they're able to move "half" a pixel. I don't know if it is really that noticeable or if I just have OCD  Embarrassed, but I don't think it'd hurt to fix that up.

I haven't noticed to be honest, but the scaling definatley isn't 100% if that's what you mean. It's just using view port at the moment and not surfaces.
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 04:00:50 PM »

Oh man the trees and the grass are gorgeous.

hi
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 04:08:48 PM »

After watching a 3D Dot Game Heroes gameplay video, I had an itch for a "lite" Japanese-style action RPG today. This game game scratched it good.

I liked the cute graphics, music was solid too. Extra points for the detsaturated color palette and not using the same ultra-bright colors as every other retro game. Gameplay was smooth and had just enough depth to be interesting without needing too much mental investment to get the hang of it, didn't seem to be overly grind-based either.

The story and dialog were a bit meh, but I guess you were going for that stereotypical "old-skool JRPG" feel and as long as the rest of the game is good (which it is), I couldn't care less. Also, you how about making the damage non-random? I mean, it probably doesn't matter all that much, but still, I think you shouldn't rely on luck-based mechanics unless you have to.

I had a big technical issue too, namely red lines all over the game screen both in fullscreen and windowed mode. I don't have this problem with other GM games, so you might want to look into it. I can post a screenshot if you want. My character also weirdly "jittered" when he reached the end of ladders sometimes.

Anyway, keep up the good work, I'd love to see this finished.
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 09:42:47 PM »

I played through this game a couple of times, and it is evident that the stats probably need hefty balancing. When I leveled up luck I hardly made it through the game, but when I leveled up defense I was nearly invincible, even against the boss.

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
CYS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 11:08:34 PM »

Wow looks really appealing! You guys really have to get this out!

CYS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 11:18:43 PM »

Playing through the game gives me some Metroid feel for some reason. The battle system is pretty solid too. Its a lot more complex than what i originally thought.

I don't know if you are just trying to give a retro feel to it but i feel that the camera feels a bit jittery when you are moving.

Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 11:47:08 AM »

Looks like fun, I'll try it out (when I'm not at work anymore)!

Deadheat
Level 0

RAWR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2010, 06:09:46 AM »

@ C.A Sinclair
The damage being random is basically taking all your relevant stats into account. So generally adding that random element makes it a little bit more interesting. About the line glitches, I guess that's to do with using the view port as I mentioned before. I'll fix that up when we chuck out the next update. I understand what you mean, but feel free to post a screen shot just to make sure. Thanks.

@ Skofo
Yeah it's basically extremely unbalanced. We haven't even really given it a proper play through in the testing department, just basically showing of where we are at  Smiley

@ CYS
It still needs a little bit of tweaking yah. I haven't really noticed the camera jitter to be honest, I'll have a look at smoothing that out. It's on the list! Cheers.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic