Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411630 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 12, 2024, 07:24:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingJump, Copy, Paste
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Jump, Copy, Paste  (Read 2369 times)
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« on: March 10, 2010, 12:47:08 PM »

Hello, gentlemen!  Gentleman

It seems it's time for another platformer-with-a-twist, this time in a similar fashion to Flickerstrings! Jump, Copy, Paste features a mechanic that at least I haven't seen earlier, and it circles around copying and pasting parts of the game levels. The game was supposed to have a story of some sort, but due to an immensely infuriating and nonsense glitch I decided to get done with the game quickly.

* CONTROLS *

A + D = move about
W = jump
Left mouse button = choose the area to copy, release to perform. After copying, you can select a new area with another left click.
Right mouse button = paste the copied area.
R = restart
Esc = Quit

Hey! There is a slight chance that you'll encounter a very random and weird-looking graphical glitch. If you do, please report what you did before the glitch appeared! Smiley

Download the game from this link.

Download page.

Screenshots:

« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 01:12:10 PM by Hempuli‽ » Logged

TwilightVulpine
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 01:34:40 PM »

Interesting gameplay concept, but letting the player copy areas of indeterminate size makes it a little messy. Why not to restrict the copy to multiples of the tile size used and, when pasting, to snap it to a grid?
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 01:41:05 PM »

I loved it, took about 40 minutes.

I think on the first copy bit, it would be useful to specify "drag with left mouse button" because (through a glitch) just clicking with the left mouse tends to copy the entire screen.

hi
Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 01:49:36 PM »

I loved it

I loved it.

Kind of weird how pasting "background" will erase some things but not others.

TheDustin
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 01:57:09 PM »

I'm looking forward to playing this when I'm not on a Mac, will give detailed criticism after I get a playthrough or two in.
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 05:42:18 PM »

Looks great, plays fine, great mechanic. TwilightVulpine has a good point, you could really create great puzzles with a limited or predetermined size for the copy paste. But still, good job Smiley

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 03:44:43 AM »

Dom2D, TwilightVulpine: Indeed, that would allow some nastier puzzles, but I wanted to give the player as much freedom as possible while still having some sort of puzzle elements around. I'm not sure how well I managed at that, though.

Zaratustra: Could you explain a bit, apart from the player, what you couldn't copy?

Jr Hill: Sure thing, I'll fix those!

Thanks for the comments!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 03:57:40 AM by Hempuli‽ » Logged

TwilightVulpine
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 08:54:42 AM »

Zaratustra: Could you explain a bit, apart from the player, what you couldn't copy?

I think he meant some objects can be only copied, but not erased (by pasting background over it. You can't erase portals and boxes, for an example I suppose that lamps shouldn't be erased, but copying them by mistake can make the level unsolvable(at least until you die) and I did not see a purpose for copying them. I'm not sure if doors and coins should be copyable too.
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 09:28:52 AM »

Everything you see there, apart from the guy and the counters, are copiable, unless they've been fixed to darker wall tiles. But yeah, I see what you say about the lamps. They serve no purpose other than decoration, but I didn't think anyone could get stuck with them. Wink

TwilightVulpine
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 09:39:06 AM »

Everything you see there, apart from the guy and the counters, are copiable, unless they've been fixed to darker wall tiles. But yeah, I see what you say about the lamps. They serve no purpose other than decoration, but I didn't think anyone could get stuck with them. Wink

I thought I couldn't paste over lamps, but checking again I think I was mistaken. Facepalm

Edit: I will check again later. I remember having some problem with the lamps in a level with boxes and portals, but I need to make sure it wasn't just something I thought I couldn't do or if I didn't copy correctly before placing over the lamps. Either way, it doesn't stop from placing walls, so it wouldn't be a problem, I think.

Edit 2: Just checked. The game is fine, I was the problem.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 01:46:31 PM by TwilightVulpine » Logged
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 05:40:12 PM »

Heh, nice stuff, once again; clever, and very well executed.  There were some tricky puzzles in there, and it was enjoyable to the end.

And I think the messy nature of copy/pasting by eye was just fine, and am glad you weren't restrictive about the size of the copy/paste box.  I think it's best when games keep the restrictions off of their interesting central mechanics, and instead find other ways to keep things challenging.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic