Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411632 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: Onsku

May 13, 2024, 08:06:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingA platformer where the floor's rising
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: A platformer where the floor's rising  (Read 2072 times)
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« on: March 13, 2010, 09:43:45 AM »

Haven't thought of a name.
ORIGINAL
SLIGHTLY UPGRADED

At first it was called Let's Get Outta Here, but it's also bin called Claustrophobia, Claustrophilia, Claustronaut, Escape, Excape, Esc, OHNO!, Caught in a Trap, and I can't think of a good one.
You have to get out before being crushed by the rising sand. It's bin this tiny little game I've bin adding to whenever I get sick of the ACTUAL game I'm workin on. For months it was just gray blocks, then one day I woke up and thought "SAND!!!" and now it's a game about sand.
I'm not the best programmer in the world, and this is the type of game that needs good programming, so this isn't the best game in the world.

The main reason I'm makin a thread is because I've got 18 levels so far and can't think of any more good ones. I think I need to introduce a new mechanic, but I can't think straight long enough to come up with one. Any ideas?

Oh, and I'm gonna make her hair wave about like real instead of the crappy animation that's on it now.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 04:00:36 PM by I_smell » Logged
st33d
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 10:29:12 AM »

Pretty good harsh fun. My main complaint though is how sticky the wallslide is. It gets you killed pretty much all the time. Some of the breakable blocks are pretty unforgiving in that respect.

I managed that in another game by making the wallslide only sticky for a second or so before it lets you go. Pushing into the wall also served as a brake, so you stuck to it for a moment and then dropped off.

If you just went for a second of stickiness before letting the player go, then that wouldn't break your levels, and it would stop the walls feeling like they're covered in glue. (I know pushing down breaks the slide, but it still looks and feels very weird.)

As for new elements, you could bring a lot to it with traps.

Spikes could instantly kill you, but could be traversed if the sand rose over them.

Crush blocks you've already got the mechanics for in there.

The level could fill up with other elements - water (allowing you to swim out), lava - instant death if you touch it.
MaloEspada
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 10:29:37 AM »

Reminds me of spelunky a bit, haha. The intro animation is really cool.
I found the lack of a "restart room" button bad, cause sometimes I KNEW I WAS GONNA DIE but i couldnt just restart.

I don't like the walljump either, actually I just dont know how to use it properly. Instructions would be nice too.
st33d
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 10:51:40 AM »

I realised that "space" was the restart button after getting stuck a few times. I assumed that seeing as you could get trapped, the programmer would have left it in somewhere.
Zaphos
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 10:58:04 AM »

I like it Smiley

agree about the wall jump feeling sticky.  Although it helps that you can hold down; it feels like the controls are a bit weird and sometimes it doesn't work ...

I stopped at a very small stage where I needed to break one of a row of destructible blocks, then go down under and get a key, then come back up -- I found it very frustrating to actually fall down through the block I broke, because if I take the time to do it while motionless then I'm too slow and can't get to the key without dying, and if I do it while running I don't fall through the gap.

edit: okay, went back and beat it (I think, I played till it appeared to loop back to the start screen ...); once you're used to the controls and you realize you can press down it does feel pretty good!
One additional strange thing to comment on -- when trying to jump up a set of 'stairs', you often end up apparently wall jumping off the stair base, even though you were standing on the ground when you jumped, sending the character backwards ... I think perhaps you should not do the wall jump in this case (ie whenever a regular jump is possible).
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 11:07:37 AM by Zaphos » Logged
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 11:17:45 AM »

This isn't going to be terribly helpful as feedback...

I like the idea, and it's fairly smooth, but there is just something wrong with the controls and I don't know what. Maybe because the character drifts or bounces really high from breaking blocks, but something just feels frustrating.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 02:57:50 PM »

Allright; version 2. I tried to fix the wallslide. It switches off After a second of sliding.

I made it SLIGHTLY more clear that SPACE was retry. It's still not very clear though.

Also you could erratically flick away when you smash a block- I've sorted that now so you move a lot slower once you bounce up.

Oh and I took out the camera shake, because it made the game unsure of where you were. It's a shame though cos that really was awesome Sad

As for new elements, you could bring a lot to it with traps.

Spikes could instantly kill you, but could be traversed if the sand rose over them.

Crush blocks you've already got the mechanics for in there.

The level could fill up with other elements - water (allowing you to swim out), lava - instant death if you touch it.
I'm thinking about traps. Spikes would work, but it's so obvious that I'm hesitating it. Being able to run across em when they're under sand is a good idea in theory, but really you can only do that when they're in a horizontal line. And I think I could only do that trick once.
Spikes would introduce precision jumping though, so you're still right.

Crush blocks: You avoid crush blocks by sprinting forwards. In this game, you're sprinting forwards all the time, so I think that'd be an ineffective trap.
THINKIN ABOUT IT THOUGH- I could have crush blocks with spikes on that zoom horizontally when you're on-line with em. Then you'd have to jump over them. Actually I think there's
a few different things I can do with that.

I can't do water levels, because I hate them. Lava I'm not sure about. You'd have to run upward to get away from it; but I can't think of anything else I can do with that.
Xecutor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 09:30:44 PM »

I like character animation a lot.
I like idea too.
But IMHO wall jump is still a little unreliable.
I played N+ a lot and didn't have problems with wall jumps.
Good job anyway!
lasttea999
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 09:33:32 PM »

Hard, but fun. The hair animation is kinda weird...

I would agree with Hangedman - the controls seem kinda weird - but maybe it just takes getting used to?

st33d
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 04:56:32 AM »

I figured out what you're doing wrong with the wall slide.

You're checking the entire side of the character for wall contact, so when the player so much as stubs their toe, they go into a wallslide. Check for wallslide from the waist up, then you won't have the issue of getting caught on steps, and levels will still work.
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 11:42:23 AM »

It's a bit frustrating for now, but I'm sure this game will be pretty neat in the end. Maybe there should be a bit more time in the first few levels to let the player learn how this works? I dunno!  Droop

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic