Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411632 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 13, 2024, 06:20:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingPrison Ball
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Prison Ball  (Read 1829 times)
Desert Dog
Level 4

View Profile
« on: March 14, 2010, 07:07:58 PM »

Prison Ball
Created by Desert Dog
Music by Caleb Cuzner
Brief Description:
Prison Ball is a fully 3d, and fairly high paced breakout game, which come with it's own, in-game level editor. With many different power-ups, different and interesting types of bricks, and over 150 levels, you'll hopefully be entertained for quite some time.

Features:
    *150 + levels.
    *Many power ups
    *great variety of bricks
    *3d in-game level editor
    *fully 3d gameplay
    *much much more!

Download, or instant play link: [please rate if you can]
http://www.yoyogames.com/games/119171-prison-ball

A few Screenshots:

Final Note:
If you have any feedback, or perhaps you just want to let me know how you enjoyed the game, then please post and let me know! I'd love to hear from you.

Please enjoy!

~Desert Dog
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 07:30:01 PM by Desert Dog » Logged

deathtotheweird
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 09:27:02 AM »

Music was quite unbearable. I had to mute it to be able to play this. The graphics are pretty ugly but I liked the 3dish effect you had going. But the game is still just a breakout clone, and I found it pretty boring. It doesn't do much to differ itself from other breakout clones, so it didn't do much for me. If you search for breakout on the yoyogames site there are 477 clones, just on that site alone.

The level editor was pretty cool though.
knight
Level 3

aka dude4k

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 11:10:30 AM »

I liked the effect when you broke a block and the rocket. The lightening is nice but the gradients are ugly. The game play is basic it would be much nicer if you had done something more innovative with it. Like allen said the level editor is cool.
gunmaggot
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 12:28:55 PM »

I played this for four hours straight, maybe more, and I didn't see all the levels.  Jesus Christ.  I also never came close to getting a game over, so you might wanna bump up the difficulty - a lot. 

Is there some kind of combo system there?  I noticed that sometimes I get no points for hitting a brick at all, but they rack up when I destroy a bunch in a row.  You should visualise that - let the player know the scoring system.

I agree that it needs some novel mechanics.  I thought it was at its best when there were 100 balls on screen and they were all on fire.  Make that happen more often or something.
Frostblade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 02:43:12 PM »

The gradients could do with being replaced, although I'm not sure what might be better. It's a pity you can't render edges as lines in GM, really, since I think that'd be perfect here; I can't imagine any "pixel art" textures that wouldn't look jagged and confusing at such a small scale.
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 04:41:27 PM »

I thought this was a really great entry into the breakout subgenre. I especially liked how the bricks would lose a brick from their stack when hit. Putting in a level editor is always a good idea - and you really used it to maximum effect with the stunning number of levels.

I downloaded it and played it on my machine, not on the site. It was kind of jarring to see it as a windowed program, but without the windowframe.

But first, a specific bug - on "The Old Mine" level, which was the second one I played, on the bottom row, on the rightmost side, those two blocks were invulnerable. I spent a bit of time focusing a variety of differently powered balls on them, before I gave up on them - but I didn't need to get rid of those bricks to finish the level.

The music was neat at first, but quickly became repetitive and grating. It's not bad, you just have way more content than tunes!

The number of powerups was amazingly varied - again, kudos for the surplus of content - and a bit baffling to start with. There was also a lot of them on the levels I played, and some of the little icons were too obscure for me to figure out. Some text feedback on picking up a powerup would be a nice addition. I figured out most of them, I think, but I'm still not sure on a few.

The controls were a bit odd. I liked the mouse control of the paddle, but that tended to swing my mouse around the screen some so that when I got rockets, I'd click and then suddenly the window would lose focus, pausing the game. It's a simple game and it seems odd to recommend mouse/keyboard hybrid control, but being able to paddle-direct with the mouse and use the keyboard to trigger the actions would be ideal. Maybe just enabling both types of input would work? Been a while and a few versions since I last toyed with GM...

It was kind of weird that the thick support for the paddle doesn't have a hitbox for the balls or powerups. The lighting was a neat effect, but it was also kind of out-of-place except for the fireball powerup - there didn't seem a reason for the lighting to change as I swung the paddle around.

I also agree with gunmaggot, it's not difficult enough. I found myself desperately wanting the speed or multiball powerups just to speed the levels up a bit. The speed powerup in particular seemed to put the ball at a more "normal" difficulty - the only other way I'd lose a ball was by forgetting about while firing off a barrage of missiles.

Again, very well done! I liked it a bunch.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Desert Dog
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 06:31:38 PM »

Quote from: gunmaggot
I played this for four hours straight, maybe more, and I didn't see all the levels.  Jesus Christ.  I also never came close to getting a game over, so you might wanna bump up the difficulty - a lot.

Shocked 4 hours? I think I should be feeling really pleased about now, but I'm mainly surprised, haha. (but still pleased!)

About the difficulty, well, one of my testers would even say the game was hard. I don't think I really adjusted the game, though, because I feel that it's about right. I'm aiming for casual gameplay.

Is there some kind of combo system there?  I noticed that sometimes I get no points for hitting a brick at all, but they rack up when I destroy a bunch in a row.  You should visualise that - let the player know the scoring system.

If you hit a tall block, it'll fall a bit, but you don't get points. Once it's destroyed, you get good points (more points than you would for a small block)
I guess I should have made it you get points for every hit.

I agree that it needs some novel mechanics.  I thought it was at its best when there were 100 balls on screen and they were all on fire.  Make that happen more often or something.

Haha, yeah. I remember reading about when 3d first came in, and the old '2d scrollers' were getting left behind. To keep up with them, they just spammed bullets, thus the 'bullet hell' genre was created.
I kiinda had that idea here. Ball hell! You keep playing, maybe you get a 4 ball power up, and you try to keep them in play, until you get another muliplyer...

Maybe I executed it a bit wrong. :p It's hard to get a good balance.

@Frostblade: I did take a shot at a cell-shaded look, but I'm no graphic artist, and it just looked horrible.

It was kind of jarring to see it as a windowed program, but without the windowframe.
Yeah, I should have spent a bit more time on this, maybe. Fullscreen is definitely encouraged.

But first, a specific bug - on "The Old Mine" level, which was the second one I played, on the bottom row, on the rightmost side, those two blocks were invulnerable. I spent a bit of time focusing a variety of differently powered balls on them, before I gave up on them - but I didn't need to get rid of those bricks to finish the level.
Hmm. They are, indestructible, and you don't need to destroy them to pass the level. (although, they will actually be destroyed if you hit them enough times!) These, and the spikes, and the 'ball' factories, are all not necessary to be destroyed. They don't spark, or anything, if you hit them, but the player still isn't to know they can't/don't need to be destroyed. [most of breakout games have indestructible blocks, of some sorts]

The music was neat at first, but quickly became repetitive and grating. It's not bad, you just have way more content than tunes!
I think it currently varies (while trying not to loop) between 3-5 songs (exact number escapes me). Perhaps I should expand on that.

Some text feedback on picking up a powerup would be a nice addition. I figured out most of them, I think, but I'm still not sure on a few.
On the menu it has a 'help', which explains them, although who reads the help?!? :p

I personally, enjoy figuring out&guessing powerups. Shoot. I forgot to add a 'bad' powerup, which kills you. Those are always fun. >=D

The controls were a bit odd. I liked the mouse control of the paddle, but that tended to swing my mouse around the screen some so that when I got rockets, I'd click and then suddenly the window would lose focus, pausing the game. It's a simple game and it seems odd to recommend mouse/keyboard hybrid control, but being able to paddle-direct with the mouse and use the keyboard to trigger the actions would be ideal. Maybe just enabling both types of input would work? Been a while and a few versions since I last toyed with GM...
Again, fullscreen is recommended. :p

Shoot, it would have been dead easy to have space do what left click does, as well. (since space does it all, anyway, when you pick keyboard controls)
That's a good idea, maybe if I update it, I'll change that.

It was kind of weird that the thick support for the paddle doesn't have a hitbox for the balls or powerups. The lighting was a neat effect, but it was also kind of out-of-place except for the fireball powerup - there didn't seem a reason for the lighting to change as I swung the paddle around.
Yeah, maybe the paddle should be just a paddle. Tongue

About the lighting, I think it's nice to have the explosions light up, and that, and I think the lighting does wonders for the blocks. (their graphics aren't exactly, spectacular! Lighting seems to help cover up)

I also agree with gunmaggot, it's not difficult enough. I found myself desperately wanting the speed or multiball powerups just to speed the levels up a bit. The speed powerup in particular seemed to put the ball at a more "normal" difficulty - the only other way I'd lose a ball was by forgetting about while firing off a barrage of missiles.
Not the first person to report losing because he was too busy shooting rockets, haha! (I've done it myself, too often!)

As mentioned, I was really trying to casual gameplay, meaning I almost don't want the player to lose.. perhaps I went to far that way.

But hey, thanks for the feedback guys! Absolutely fantastic stuff! I know the graphics are could be improved, but that's just what I have to work with, haha. I'll improve!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic