Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411593 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: FightingFoxGame

May 07, 2024, 09:06:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDink - Pixel Art Platformer
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: Dink - Pixel Art Platformer  (Read 9300 times)
TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2017, 03:46:43 AM »

Love the new creatures, sir!

Great work, as always :D

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
Excy
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2017, 06:30:45 AM »

Sup guys, just another little update on what I've been working on.

Obligatory "I've been writing story" again. I think it's safe to assume now that inbetween every post here, major writing will have been done to the story.

I've been creating a few more NPCs. Here's a Gobbo, pretty much a goblin. They're the inhabitants of the second area you visit. You'll also notice the hermit crab that's walking around, I've been working more on little details of the game, extra tiles that don't do anything other than add graphics.

Also, I've been working on the menu. I've always hated UI design so could anyone give me feedback on this? Cheers.

MaxTexeira
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2017, 10:40:20 AM »

Maybe some frame supports on the menu could help.

Awesome game, i love the character and the pixel art style  Coffee

Excy
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2017, 03:11:37 AM »

Maybe some frame supports on the menu could help.

Awesome game, i love the character and the pixel art style  Coffee

Thanks man, appreciate the feedback Smiley

I was starting to think the minimalist style might work but I think you're right. Now.. what to do for borders..

Lizzard
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2017, 11:16:38 AM »

Hello!

I didn't read through the whole thread but i just tested the game and would like to tell you my thoughts.

The style and art is nice!
I can see myself playing through this game.  Beer!
If you manage to improve the player controls...

Right now it feels too floaty and the walljump is faster than the regular jump, which is weird.
Also if you stand on something that is possible to jump through, using a xbox controller and just slightly pressing down, the player will fall through it. Maybe add a delay of x ms to be pressed, before you drop down.

Regarding the movement. I guess, you currently translate the player by a fixed speed.
Maybe try to make it so the player needs to build up speed. Even a tiny bit will help a lot.
Tell me if you want me to explain more in detail!

Best of luck with the game!

I made "Ratz Instagib"!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/338170/

Currently working on "Roguelite Platformer with Online Coop"
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=65659.0

Follow me on Titter!:
https://twitter.com/LinoSlahuschek
Excy
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2017, 02:26:57 AM »

Hello!

I didn't read through the whole thread but i just tested the game and would like to tell you my thoughts.

The style and art is nice!
I can see myself playing through this game.  Beer!
If you manage to improve the player controls...

Right now it feels too floaty and the walljump is faster than the regular jump, which is weird.
Also if you stand on something that is possible to jump through, using a xbox controller and just slightly pressing down, the player will fall through it. Maybe add a delay of x ms to be pressed, before you drop down.

Regarding the movement. I guess, you currently translate the player by a fixed speed.
Maybe try to make it so the player needs to build up speed. Even a tiny bit will help a lot.
Tell me if you want me to explain more in detail!

Best of luck with the game!

Hey man, thanks a lot! Really appreciate you taking the time to play the demo I have up.

Very good points all around, movement is something I'm tackling with so any feedback is brilliant. I've actually had this quite a lot, that it feels a little floaty, so I guess I should try taking it more in a tight direction. It's mostly just tweaking and fine tuning.

The player does have a little build up to him at the moment but I'd agree that maybe it's too subtle, I'll play around with that too.

It's becoming more apparent that the #1 feedback point I've received so far has been regarding movement. Added to Trello list!

Thanks again! Coffee

Excy
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2017, 01:08:12 AM »

Heyo, low-key update here. I've pushed all the changes into a patch and the latest version is now available to download if anyone would like to test Smiley

http://www.indiedb.com/games/dink/downloads/dink-v003

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic