Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411630 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 12, 2024, 08:47:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytesting[WIP] Planetoids, 3D gravity platformer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [WIP] Planetoids, 3D gravity platformer  (Read 3490 times)
TheSnidr
Level 1

View Profile
« on: November 22, 2011, 05:03:56 PM »

Planetoids
Name is subject to change

This is a project I've been working on for a long time. It mainly takes place on small 3D planetoids, where the player can freely move around in all three dimensions. Prepare for adventures all aroundand upside down when this work in progress title gets published! ...until then, you may enjoy some tech demos I've uploaded for the world to see. I recently started the project all over from scratch, with a completely different art style.

Controls:
Move - WASD
Jump - Space
Hover - Space while in the air
Look around - Right mouse button + move mouse
Attack - Click shift
Charge - Hold shift
Stomp - Jump and hold shift

Download tech demo 6
Tech demo 5 (part of a package)
Tech demo 4
Tech demo 3
Tech demo 2
Tech demo 1

Old pics:
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/4672/utennavndn.jpg
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/2082/mbius.png
http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/extras/image/name/san2/439/492439/original/newpic.jpg
http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/extras/image/name/san2/440/492440/original/pic2.jpg
http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/extras/image/name/san2/18/489018/original/pic3.jpg
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 02:01:20 AM by TheSnidr » Logged
ITS_Mike
Level 3

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 06:41:27 AM »

It's certainly a good start; very impressive for your first 3D game Coffee

I found myself a little sad that, once I hit the jump button at the top of the tower, I couldn't go back and collect the rest of the items I had missed Sad.  It might be a good idea to add some way of getting back down from the moon.

The circular platform near the base of the tower intersects the tower as it moves.  I'm assuming you are aware of this though.

I didn't run into any bugs, and the game ran perfectly fine.  The controls worked well and were intuitive for the most part (camera control was a little "odd" in places, but I assume that is by design).

sevn
Level 0

Game design student

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 10:31:44 AM »

I got stuck on the floating comet rock thing.

Looking around was a bit confusing at the very start.

Reminded me a bit of the ps1 Smiley

Petethegoat
Level 1

Pete Goodfellow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 11:37:39 AM »

My Word!
This is actually really enjoyable.
I'd love to see this fleshed out a bit, I want some proper levels to explore in!
TheSnidr
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 11:40:08 AM »

Thanks! I just added additional camera control in the level editor, which lets me place the camera at certain positions when the player enters an area. One such area was in the beginning (that might be a bad idea though, but oh well) and one was arouund the tower.

And sevn, how did you get stuck? What did you do? I've never got stuck before. Does "the floating comet rock thing" mean the moon?
Petethegoat
Level 1

Pete Goodfellow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 11:44:54 AM »

I presume he just means he couldn't go anywhere after he got to the moon.
TheSnidr
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 11:53:36 AM »

Ah, yeah, the level ends there, seems like I forgot to make that clear.
I'm glad you liked it Petethegoat- there'll be some more interesting levels coming soon!
Ichigo Jam
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 09:42:23 AM »

Thanks! I just added additional camera control in the level editor, which lets me place the camera at certain positions when the player enters an area. One such area was in the beginning (that might be a bad idea though, but oh well) and one was arouund the tower.

I found the one at the beginning quite confusing, as it means the cursor keys don't do much (left and right seemed to roll the camera slightly, up and down did nothing).

The one on the tower is nice, but it would feel nicer if going around the tower left and right movement kept you at a fixed radial distance; currently it seems like every jump I made moved me further from the tower.

Overall it was quite fun, and I look forward to seeing where you go with it!
TheSnidr
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 05:32:03 AM »

Thanks for making me aware of the tower camera, I hadn't noticed the player moves outwards.

Even though the level editor won't be available before the game is finished, I'm very proud of it, so I uploaded a small video showing the creation of a small level ^^ It is, as the game itself, made entirely in Game Maker

Mogget
Level 1

Manbabysitter

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 11:18:28 AM »

Definitely add a shadow to the player object ASAP. Three-dee platformers without a shadow tend to be really hard. Otherwise, shows mucho promise!

Hurray for shameless promotion!
TheSnidr
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 09:58:14 AM »

I've listened to popular demand and added a player shadow! I haven't released a playable tech demo of it yet, but you can see it in this video:

This also showcases the possibility to define custom 3D paths in the editor. This can be used to move the player, but it can also move planetoids in more complex ways than the previous straight line.
onionman77
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 06:48:59 AM »

Not bad! This is looking pretty promising!

The only thing I might note is you might look for a way to enable texture smoothing.
TheSnidr
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 07:43:15 AM »

Thanks! And yeah, I know of a way to smoothen out the textures, but the current ones are very low resolution, so they get completely smudged out. That's easy to fix though.
I messed around with a better lighting engine today, and found a nifty way of making volumetric lighting!
I set the options to the extreme to showcase the effect:

The lighting engine is made by Phantom107

EDIT:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 07:56:30 AM by TheSnidr » Logged
TheSnidr
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 08:36:07 AM »

Holy crap, it's that long since I made this topic, eh? Time passes by quickly. I worked on this project for quite a while after my last post here, but I didn't feel I had enough to make another demo. Then I eventually stopped and started working on other stuff, which you can read about here.
In december I wanted to work on Planetoids again - but I ended up starting all the way from scratch again. Now I have gotten sufficiently far to show you what it looks like, so here's a new tech demo!

As you can see, the graphical style has changed quite drastically, going from trying to make "realistic" graphics to a more cartoony style. Also, the player is now a pig instead of a beach ball. I haven't put any thought into the level design, so the level is very rough. Some objects are even randomly placed. I found 268 points, if you find more than that you're my hero.

Controls:
Move - WASD
Jump - Space
Hover - Hold space while in the air
Look around - Right mouse button + move mouse
Attack - Click shift
Charge - Hold shift
Stomp - Jump and hold shift

As for the next update, it could be in two weeks, it could be next year. I'm casually working on this when I feel like it, and I won't rush anything. Most textures are still temporary.
TheSnidr
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 02:00:44 AM »

Some updates!
I've started learning 3D modelling and made a few alternative player models:

I've also added player/model collisions:

Andrio
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2013, 06:48:54 AM »

I am in love with this so much. It makes my heart melt.

TheSnidr
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2013, 09:25:49 AM »

Thank you Andrio :D
This month's been pretty busy with finals and stuff, but I've pushed in a few minutes to work on this project anyway. The result is, among other things, a bow and an umbrella:

Then I later replaced the umbrella with a flower:

And then I added minecarts!

You'll be able to ride the minecarts in certain mine-themed levels between distant planets, with a small minigame on the way. I have yet to add the minigame, but I have an idea!

I'm still working on this, albeit very, very slowly!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic