Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411632 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 13, 2024, 07:15:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingReturn - now released
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Return - now released  (Read 1940 times)
graebor
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: April 19, 2013, 12:24:18 PM »

Click here to play (only uses mouse): http://www.graemeborland.com/gamecontent/return/

Hello all!

This is a game I've been working on this month, my goal is to have it done before May. It's coming along but I am looking for feedback and suggestions of all kinds (especially on the difficulty and controls) to give it more of a push over the next week before I'm done with it. Suggestions on what to name it are also welcome Smiley Audio is in the works. I'll also be making a bunch more levels of course, this build just has the first few. What do you think so far?

Edit: Met my deadline of releasing during April. I replaced the link in this post with a link to the now finished game Smiley
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 03:28:03 PM by graebor » Logged
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 12:31:18 PM »

Pretty cool, kind of like real-time space billiards or something.  I played through all the levels.

My one issue with the controls is when you have multiple units overlapping, it can be difficult to select just one, or keep the selection from switching to another unit.  Unfortunately I don't really have any suggestions for this at the moment.

Also you probably already know this, but "Give up" shouldn't be an option on the "Victory" screen.
graebor
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 12:53:22 PM »

Yeah, I have been struggling with how to resolve the overlapping units problem. And I agree "give up" sounds weird after you win, since it's just an option to return to the title screen, I will change the text. Thanks for trying it out Smiley
graebor
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 06:17:51 PM »

I've updated the wip build with the following changes:

- New control method, using click and drag rather than just click. Feedback I've got so far says it's a vast improvement over the old method.
- Fixed a couple cases where you could get stuck in walls
- Added more levels
- A few other small fixes and tweaks

Play it at the same URL (http://www.graemeborland.com/gamecontent/wip/) and let me know what you think! Smiley
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 06:35:17 PM »

Got my first "You lost" screen .. takes way too long to show up and the response time on the "Try again" button was pretty ridiculous, too.

Make it snappy as the "You win" screen please .. Beg
graebor
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 03:32:27 PM »

That screen moving slowly was the result of a bug where if a unit died while selected the slow motion effect would persist, it's been fixed now in the final build Smiley Thanks for your feedback.

I'm happy with this game and am done with it for now, the final build is at http://www.graemeborland.com/gamecontent/return/
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 03:53:06 PM »

Congrats on finishing it.
Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 04:50:52 PM »

Loving it  Smiley

You should make a full game of just the combat  Wink
AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 03:30:57 PM »

Very well done, no complaints.

mychii
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 07:36:51 PM »

Congratulations on the release!

It looks decent. My only feedback would be the camera movement by the mouse, it's kinda annoying for me while I'm trying to aim/observe. Maybe lerp-ing it a little would help.

Above all, nice game. If I may suggest, having a game like this for mobile would be super nice. Gentleman
Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2013, 01:45:43 AM »

If I may suggest, having a game like this for mobile would be super nice. Gentleman

That was more or less my thought after a few stages as well! It's easier to control with a graphics tablet than a mouse, which to me says that it's probably more suited for a touch interface.

I played up to the first stage where there's multiple switches to pass through. I generally don't like games that remind me too much of RTSes, but it was quite fun. I thought of it more as "crazy golf with bad guys" than "space billiards", though!

(Man, where did all the crazy golf games go?)

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
graebor
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 03:21:42 PM »

Thanks for the feedback, folks!

If I may suggest, having a game like this for mobile would be super nice. Gentleman

Pretty much everyone I've talked to has said the same. The controls would just go so well with a touchscreen. I have no experience developing for mobile, but I'd love to revisit this game in the future, tune it up, add more levels etc, and release it for mobile Smiley
ThunderMare
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 01:55:07 AM »

Yes this was my first thought when i saw the game. 

Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2013, 01:55:36 AM »

This game has mobile written all over it Smiley

I played for like 20+ levels and it was very entertaining, and the learning curve is very balanced. Specially liked the slowdown while holding mechanic.

Btw, when you're near walls the enemies just smash against you like a thousand times per second and instantly kill you; it seems a bit unfair.

Congrats! Great game

Working on HeliBrawl
ThomasMorrison
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2013, 06:40:38 AM »

Had a good time with this game, glad to hear it's done.

A few things:
- I really liked the sound (both music and sfx etc) they were well polished
- I wish their was a way to aim units WITHOUT time being slowed down (holding shift or something maybe?)
- Clicking very quickly with a wide radius makes you somewhat invincible in 1v1 battles

I enjoyed the game, especially how it handled having both puzzle and combat components which kept the gameplay fresh.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic