Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411632 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 12, 2024, 10:06:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingGravity Game Thing
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Gravity Game Thing  (Read 813 times)
Danz0r77
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 25, 2013, 09:36:27 AM »

http://danieltansey.co.uk/graviton/web.html

Ignore the bugs / gfx etc...

Would anyone play this if it was presented better?
marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 04:23:45 PM »

would help to know what on earth I should be doing Wink

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 06:40:30 PM »

All I'm getting is a black screen here.  I can hear some music, though.  Also the Unity logo appears.
David Finseth
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 11:31:02 PM »

All I'm getting is a black screen here.  I can hear some music, though.  Also the Unity logo appears.

I am getting a very similar screen. Music and some buttons to select a level but nothing works.
Danz0r77
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 12:19:16 AM »

would help to know what on earth I should be doing Wink

Sorry, should've explained a bit better! Did you get into the game then? It's basically mouse controlled only - click and hold over the asteroids to move - and the aim is to collect the gems.

I think you may be getting the black screen because I set the mode to streamed so it can take a little while before it properly loads - you should see the level select buttons though - not sure why you're just seeing a black screen Udderdude..
marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 02:19:47 AM »

it takes a while for the buttons to work. the game itself is hard to handle, i never had a feeeling of control. i think it would be essential to be able to give yourself a direction while hanging from that thread. i finished a few levels, but i got stuck on one when i could not find more gems. it would be good to have some indication as to where they are. so far its no fun, but the general idea is interesting. so keep working on it Wink

Ruxar
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 09:52:16 PM »

The mechanic has some potential, but you need to close of the levels a bit to give a bit of direction. 

Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 01:59:23 AM »

so far its no fun, but the general idea is interesting. so keep working on it Wink

I'd say more or less the same thing - maybe 'not very fun' rather than 'no fun', but there's certainly potential.

I have one question, and two suggestions. Firstly, is it intentional that clicking more or less anywhere prevents you from falling and gives you a little boost upwards? It made it not very hard to avoid death, one just has to click and hold on asteroids only for a little bit to avoid building up too much sideways momentum and adjusting oneself into the right X alignment, then falling onto the gems and clicking back up, or vice versa.

One big suggestion I would make would be to introduce parallax on the backgrounds, otherwise it's very hard to judge speed when there's nothing else visible on-screen. Unless that's intentional, since it's probably the case in space?

The other would be to increase the diameter of the clickable zone for asteroids, unless you're aiming for this to be a mobile-only game in the long run. Clicking precisely on tiny little round things can work on mobile 'cause people are directly using their actual fingers, but with a mouse pointer and mouse acceleration and hand-eye coordination being broken across two separate divides and all that, it's much harder on the PC, and it can be pretty frustrating to miss something you thought you'd got because your hastily-moved mouse was slightly out of position.

...I can't count, OK? I'd also suggest rather than having a big red floor, draw a boundary so-far away from the ship in every direction, and fail the player if they stray too far. If nothing else, there's presently a somewhat annoying situation where you move too far to the side to be able to see any asteroids to click on, but haven't fallen and died yet. It's possible to stay alive by clicking continuously or click-and-holding, but you can't do anything else. I'd suggest it's bad form to have a fail state which requires the player to commit suicide to proceed!

Also why is gravity acting upon the player but not the asteroids and gems? :3

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic