Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411630 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 12, 2024, 07:47:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingWhite Matter
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: White Matter  (Read 531 times)
ostrich160
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 25, 2013, 02:09:38 PM »

Hi guys, so Ive started developing this game, and I've came across a potential problem with it, and just wanted to know what you guys think I should do. Anyway, heres the basic of the idea...

its a 2d top down sandbox survival game set on a world complete with massive decaying cities, mutant zombie creatures, hidden bunkers and a few other features, and the point of it is to survive. However, in the center of the map, a black hole starts from the beginning, and over the course of 1-2 hours real time, it will consume the whole world, so it implements the idea of evacuation, a constant threat, nomads and decided what to take when you need to leave quickly.

So the problem is, do you guys think the game will be bad if your death is on the clock, that you will die within an hour or two and theres no way of stopping that, unless you die sooner by zombies? Would love to hear what you think

Thanks alot
Tom
marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 04:26:57 PM »

just add a way to survive, escape ship? delaying death by an hour or two doesnt really sound like much of a reward Wink . ok maybe something like this: congratulations, you were the last surviving human! unfortunately, no one will remember you.

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 06:39:34 PM »

It sounds like it either needs a win condition (You stop the black hole, you escape from it somehow) or you need to add a good scoring system so players have a reason to do as well as they can before they inevitably die.
soryy708
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 02:41:24 AM »

I agree with marcgfx and Udderdude.
I'd like to add some more ideas to the pool:

The hole grows, yay. Let's say you have a scoring system. Make a way to delay the hole's growth (perhapes reduce it's mass?) through a kinda difficult 'quest'. This way you have the illusion of the ability to gain score infinitely; but why not make these quests increasingly difficult to accomplish? That certainly adds to replayability; just don't overdo the difficulty.

Not that? Well how about a hidden "evil karma side thingy"? Side with the hole, feeding as many things to it as possible, but not dying either. Perhapes the hole could promise to spare you?
ostrich160
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 04:43:10 PM »

I agree with marcgfx and Udderdude.
I'd like to add some more ideas to the pool:

The hole grows, yay. Let's say you have a scoring system. Make a way to delay the hole's growth (perhapes reduce it's mass?) through a kinda difficult 'quest'. This way you have the illusion of the ability to gain score infinitely; but why not make these quests increasingly difficult to accomplish? That certainly adds to replayability; just don't overdo the difficulty.

Not that? Well how about a hidden "evil karma side thingy"? Side with the hole, feeding as many things to it as possible, but not dying either. Perhapes the hole could promise to spare you?

Thanks for the ideas, but in the end Ive decided to go with some different ideas, I just dont think it works as I thought it would, unless the world is infinite, but thats a project for another day when i know more about that
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic