Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411708 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58457 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 20, 2024, 03:38:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsVivid Wolf (being revamped)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Vivid Wolf (being revamped)  (Read 5081 times)
LucasMaxBros
Level 2

My body is ready.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2015, 09:48:01 PM »

If you haven't tried the 2.0 Demo WHY HAVEN"T YA?!: http://www.indiedb.com/games/vivid-wolf/downloads/vivid-wolf-20-alpha-demo

Devlog #11:

Alright! So I got a few people to test my game, and things still went better than expected. While I didn't get many people, I did get some useful info. It seems my game is more than ready for Greenlight, I just need to make a good impression now. Of course, there is more than just Greenlight, but Steam being so popular with games like this, I could haul in more people to try it out or even spread the news about it as I have previously experienced with my first attempt, Quad Knight.

If you want to see a random person, name is Steve Goergen (great guy, does lots of games), play through the Demo here it is:

I was very surprised with the results. He figured everything out within a short amount of time. All things considering, this isn't necessarily a "Beginners" level. This Demo does feature some challenging parts around the last half since the Demo is only one level. But I plan on adding an extra level or set of challenges for the 3.0 Demo, which is currently underway.

From what I gathered, I could probably do something in that first segment to make the player be more quick to use the attack on the colored blocks but he still did it in a reasonable amount of time. That segment is all about figuring out howto get out of it so the player understands the main principles of the game. And once he got out the next tricky bit was discovering what Wolf Mode could do.

It took him a few attempts but he figured out that you could launch attacks upward while on a wall in that form. After that it was quite smooth sailing even during the Spring segment, but he couldn't quite grasp walljumping. He mentioned though that he isn't good at wall jumping in the first place. I could tell that in some parts he was turning around immediately before doing the jump which led to him falling. He did begin to sort of figure it out, I'm sure if he was playing the full game he'd have it second nature by the time he went up against the first Boss.

So I'll be making some minor changes to this particular level later on, but it seems to get the job done! He didn't even die, which is a bonus.

Now then, on to the BIG updates:
First of all, I have added SO many new things. New Sprites, new Objects, even some new Ideas! I have changed the Stars you see in the game to Gems which look a lot better, makes you really want to grab them all. Blocks have a new design, Coins have changed to Pearls, I changed the Hearts and HUD design, and many more I haven't pointed out but eventually will.

Here's a list of all the new Objects I've added:
-Human Blocks
-Wolf Blocks
-Grey Walls
-Rainbow Walls
-Switches/Timer Switches
-Platforms
-Down-Platforms
-Up-Platforms
-Elevators
-Disappearing Platforms
-Bamboo Block
-Switch Colored Blocks
-Side Platforms
-Currents
-Teleporters

I'll try explaining a couple of these over the next few days, but they all add to the game. I still have a couple of ideas I want to implement, but I can make an entire game around these alone if I wanted. I think the most interesting one to talk about first is the Bamboo Block.

These are long, narrow blocks that can be any height. As a block, you can't go though them, but what makes them unique is that when attacked they'll begin to shrink down. You can then get through to where they were blocking you from. They'll grow back after a moment, so it's also a nice way of getting to hard to reach places. A simple but useful Block!

And in other news, I've downgraded Game Maker to an older version. Had to do that twice because the bug that I was trying to avoid was still in one of the older versions. The bug was a collision bug, which really screwed up with making certain objects. But since I no longer had that problem I could make all that I had been meaning to for the past couple of weeks!

So where to go from here? I plan on working on making a better build for Greenlight and anything that could help with that impression such as artwork, new landscapes/screenshots from later levels, and who knows. But I really sat down and thought about this. The words, "What else can I do with this game?" appeared. And then I remembered a game called SUPER MEAT BOY. And I thought, "OH! I could make short challenge stages revolving around the main mechanics of my game and it work out!".

So I plan on not only making these levels that could last you around 5 minutes, but also challenge stages which would play slightly different. These stages, will have you have you play through a couple of rooms in quick succession. The challenge is to collect all the items and get to the exit as quickly as possible. It won't be as hard as Super Meat Boy that's for sure, but you'll have to give it your all to get the best grade possible. I think I could make several stages like this while also making quite a few that are full length and have them feel separate. So more content, YAAAAAY.

Now what I have been trying to work on is figuring out what else you can do. I mentioned my ideas of a Time Attack and Invasion Mode in my last Devlog. I have gone back and forth on if I should have them or not. At this point, I have tested the Invasion Mode...and it really slows down the game. It was an interesting idea, but I've completely scrapped it at this point. I was going to use some of the features from it for the main game (Blocks that take away color), but then the question became how do you get it back? Without that answer, those objects won't be in the game.

However I'm still on the fence about Time Attack, leaning more towards doing it. Mainly because I want the player to be able to enjoy the level if it was fully colored, since you won't get to do that normally. Plus you're going to be collecting/looking for stuff when you play the normal level, where as you'll be going as fast as you can to the exit with little to stop you in Time Attack. AND all the Blocks will shorten your time if you collect them, so there's a lot different to it, especially compared to other games with Time Trials. And.... I can't recall any negatives, other than it will take time to make and trying to figure out how it comes into play with Game Completion.

So I know what I'm working towards, just got to figure out what to work on specifically!

LucasMaxBros
Level 2

My body is ready.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2015, 10:39:21 PM »

DEVLOG #12:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAH! Been 3 weeks and crazy stuff has been happening.

So... first things first, I had some other users bring up some good points about my game and because of some of those points I felt like I needed a break. In fact, I was going to take a long break; as in a couple of months... until I got a special email. While the 'deal' for this email hasn't occurred yet, it probably will. I won't announce anything until it actually takes place but what is apparent is that because of that email, I immediately went back to working on his game!

And man, have there been some changes. Not necessarily in looks, but in mechanics. Let's go over this.

1. Wolf Mode:  So in the game there is this transformation that once you got enough energy or touched a Wolf Emblem you got these new powers that would allow you to do many more things. Specifically, you could run faster, climb walls, throw your attacks, and walk on all Colored Blocks. There use to be more to it, like you could transform into a Wolf and go in smaller areas, but that was taken out because of size difference and story.

Wolf Mode...has been completely removed. Everything about it, including some gimmick blocks around it have been removed from the game. Upon seeing other players and how they reacted towards it, I felt it was too complicated and unnecessary, plus some suggestions gave me new ideas on what I could do to liven up the game in the void that Wolf Mode left after removal...which leads me to point #2!

2. New Attacks:  Ever since Vivid was first created, my friend wondered why your attacks didn't change when you changed color. It was pretty funny that I didn't really consider it until a few weeks ago. But now, besides the original Sword Attack, there are now two new ones for the other colors-

RED: Summon Sword - Short-ranged sword that does a lot of damage and can be maneuvered.
YELLOW: Lunar Boomerang - Projectile that goes horizontally, can go through walls to collect unreachable Color Blocks.
BLUE: Comet Strike - Shot upwards, then shoots down. Good for vertical obstacles. Can let you climb Blue Colored Blocks.

So due to mechanics I had earlier, such as climbing walls and shooting projectiles, I had to do something about that without being complicated. Now before what I currently have, one of the new ideas I was considering was a system that you built upon; basically you would collect color and upon a certain amount you could unlock one of many abilities (Like climbing, shooting, higher jump, etc.), which would be cool for a very open ended level...but that's about it. Plus, I couldn't think of enough new ideas for that and I felt it was too restricting. So I decided to completely get rid of any system I had and just go as simple as possible.

So now we have these attacks that fill the void where Wolf Mode left. The Yellow attack allows you to hit enemies that are further away or collect unreachable color. However, the size of the attack is rather small and small-ground enemies will duck below it. It also can't pierce enemies unlike the sword.

The sword was left mainly the same, but it now does extra damage and lasts just a bit longer.

Now the comet attack might seem useless at first, but once you get a hang of the game, it becomes an amazing ability to have. While it sucks against enemies in front of you, it can take care of aerial threats or break through blocks below or above. But the most amazing thing about it is the wall-climbing ability. If you find a wall of Blue Blocks, use the attack against it and you'll go flying! This can lead to some interesting play-styles and level designs. And unlike Wolf Mode, I can clearly label WHERE you should climb a wall.

The animations for Comet Strike are still in the works, since all it is currently is an orb...kinda boring. But so is the boomerang, it just spins. Not like it's suppose to be fancy.

3. Overworld:  So, the original idea behind this whole overworld would be that it was just a couple levels in a row that you select...and that's about it. Pretty boring. Decided I would go with an actual world. Ocean and all. Began making that, decided it would be a lot of unneeded work and remembered that Kirby's Adventure did and overworld like a regular 2D platformer AND that you could find switches in levels that revealed new stuff.

So I'm pretty much doing that. That would be a lot easier to program than making a whole new system where you moved a pointer from place to place. Especially when you have secrets and stuff. Plus it would be easier to color the world as you made progress.

4. ANIMAL BUDDIES!:  Yeah, decided to create little animal friends that give you new abilities if you found them. Sometimes they'll be all sad and you'll need to find enough color before you can use them. There will be an animal buddy in the next Demo. His name is Fuzz Buzz, he's a small and adorable bee that lets you jump infinitely; in other words you can fly! The Animal Buddies last for the entire stage. I'm still coming up with a few other Animals and what they'd do, cause I'd like to make 6 or so. I have 3 currently planned out: an Armadillo that let's you fly ShineSpark horizontally, and a Gecko that lets you climb any wall.

5. Extra Levels: So last Devlog I had mentioned more things on extra modes/challenge stages and I still intend to make those. I plan on having one or two in the next Demo. The premise of these though have been changed and are a LOT more like Super Meat Boy(You'll die in one hit, though that may change). Main reason is because of the HUD blocking part of the screen since these rooms will be the size of the screen, maybe bigger, and I don't want anything blocked by it nor do I want you to be collecting color since color has a different roll in challenge stages.

In these, there will be an exit and a Timer. However, the exit is locked unless you collect everything in the room. So it's all about collecting everything within a small amount of time as possible. There are 6 small rooms in each challenge stage, each room being a checkpoint. So a lot easier than Super Meat Boy in those regards.

Additionally there will still be a Time Attack mode. Will there be a New Game Plus or a Hard Mode? Probably. It would probably reduce how many hits you could take, checkpoints, and times for the other modes. I'll figure it out.

6. New Enemies, New designs, etc.:  I only have a screenshot of one of the new backgrounds, but it looks very nice (Though one mistake I forgot to fix was that some of the leaves have incorrect stems...oh well!). Additionally there are many new enemies being made (I think about 12-15 new ones, and they have some interesting designs that lead into the story more than one would think).

Man, that was a lot to type. And there's still a lot more to say, but I'll wait on that.

Anyways, we're about a month away before Demo 3.0 and hopefully Steam Greenlight. Even with the current condition the game is, I'm confident it's ready for Steam Greenlight. The designs for 3.0 are almost done, but need to be tested. Then I have to polish everything over the course of a couple weeks AND make a neat Intro Cutscene to hook people in. The story I'm planning for the game is rather adorable. It's nothing huge or complicated, it's just there and makes the experience more worthwhile I think.

LucasMaxBros
Level 2

My body is ready.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2015, 12:41:18 AM »

Not really a Devlog here this time (Though good progress is being made). Instead, have an art dump!

This was just me messing around with backgrounds and what colors they can be. Pretty fun to see what environments I can come up with. I plan on having most of the backgrounds/world themes be based off trees (Red Wood, Oak, Mangrove, Bamboo, Cherry,etc).

In addition, I finally realized what I was doing wrong with the tilesets, and as soon as I added a bit more texture to them and put the background elements under a few filters, it now looks AMAZING. It practically looks like a finished game in one sense. I'm very happy with this and can't wait for people to to play this game with these types of visuals!

I'm also working on more detail oriented stuff like idle animations and better particles t make things look flashier. Got to have everything nice and pretty for Greenlight. Also been making the overworld and working on how you select/complete levels. Got it pretty close to finish! I can now make it so when you enter a level that the door you go through will have a certain number in order to achieve 100%, as well as slots for collecting the Pearls. I can even control how the backgrounds move, are colored, or where you start using these doors. There's also a menu for selecting Time Trials and Hard Mode.

Still got a lot of work to do, but getting very close to being ready!

LucasMaxBros
Level 2

My body is ready.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2015, 06:21:45 PM »

Again, not really a Devlog, but it is an update:

So I've just been working on the cutscene that will be in the main game and perhaps the Demo. I say perhaps because there's a lot of stuff I still want to do with it like effects and better animations. It's sort of stiff right now but it give you an idea of whats happening. Though ultimately I probably won't if only because it's meaningless for the Demo. But it will definitely be shown in the Trailer. So far it's over a minute and a half long and quite emotional for a scene with no dialogue. In fact i plan on trying to use as little(if none at all) dialogue as possible so foreigners can still enjoy the game without need of English.

One interesting thing to come out of doing this is something I wish to not go to waste, which is this:

This is the Wolf named Spirit, she's sort of Vivid's guardian and pretty much a main character. I say that because before she was only a plot point, but because of the animations and effort behind them, I'm trying to perhaps incorporate her into the gameplay. I haven't figured out what it will be, but I think she will act like a Yoshi for Vivid later on. There are a lot of things I could do but for now I must focus on the Demo!

Other than that I've been trying to make sure combat is at least interesting. I'm probably going to have to make the player HP go from 4 to 3 so there's definite risk when getting hit. Other than that, something I'm currently working on is Shields. These are Colored Shields that Enemies might have occasionally.If an enemy has a Shield, that means it can only be hurt by an attack of THAT color. So if there's a bug coming at you with a Blue Shield and you try to use the Red Sword attack, it won't have any effect! Only the Blue attack will knock it out. This could lead to very interesting situations, especially against enemies you usually have an easy time dealing with can become very difficult. The enemies sort of become mini-puzzles where you have to find an opening in order to proceed. You can still jump on certain enemies though.

So all that's left it to work on all the details and make sure everything comes together in a nice blend. I think the platforming is nice, but I do thing the puzzle aspect could be worked on a little bit. But I think I can pull it off, after all the main danger of the game seems to be the Player themselves since a lot of threats come from the player not performing a Color Switch correctly. I may not need to make the enemies anymore threatening honestly, but it will take experimenting to figure this all out!

Also, here's this beautiful picture I made the other day!:

LucasMaxBros
Level 2

My body is ready.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2015, 02:21:20 AM »

DEVLOG #13:

I really wish I could show more images(I do have one!), but most of the stuff I have been doing are really slight artistic touches, haven't been implemented, or it's mainly technical stuff. And this past week has been mainly technical stuff.

(1) SHADERS. Been messing around with them a bit more. Last time I had a shader which made things look okay, but I disliked it as things progressed and got rid of it. However after doing some research I decided that if I could put a gray-scale feature on specific layers of the game, I could achieve a very nice effect and cut down on hundreds of lines of code.

Originally, the premise of the game was that you collected color and restored the land. When you collected a certain percentage of color, it would tell the game to show certain tiles or colors to show your progress. This was mainly a work-around for what I had envisioned, which I'm now working towards making it look like using the shader instead of this work-around. It doesn't change anything gameplay wise, but it will make for better progression and save memory.

Of course, this wasn't easy to figure out. I typed away for an entire weekend to try and get my head around it because no one had quite made a shader like how I needed it and had to ultimately look across the internet and stitch mine together after several tests. But now I have it and I'm SOOOOOOOOO HAPPY. Only main issue is that I can't manually color tiles/backgrounds since it won't gray-scale those and keep the color, but even then I have an easy fix for that.

(2) ATTACKS have changed in looks. And even a bit in gameplay. First of all, the sword had a slight change so that it was more red but the biggest change is that you now SWING the sword. It first points up, then comes down and stops. And it feels GLORIOUS to use on enemies! Especially multiple ones. Just jump at them and swing- BOOM. Dead. Also gave it an after image effect.

Now for the yellow attack I had a boomerang like object...but I wasn't quite feeling it with that one. For one, it's a boomerang. Logically it should fly back, but it just fades away. It also was really plain and odd to use, mainly because it's hit-box was irregular. But now! I present: the BOW & ARROW. Vivid quickly creates a bow and a fast shooting arrow flies off! The cool part about it is that it has a slight delay. Vivid has to summon the bow, then fire it, which takes a moment. So you'll have to slightly predict when it fires while aiming.

And of course, the blue attack was originally...a ball? A star? Uh....who cares about that? You know what else is thrown up in a arch-like path? HOW ABOUT THE AX FROM CASTLEVANIA? After thinking about it, I thought more people would be familiar with the ax and the throw. It's definitely cooler than what I originally had and has a bigger hit box. It's mostly the same gameplay wise, but I did make the arch pattern a bit bigger.

I also redid the sound effects for all the attacks. They are mostly based off Castlevania sound effects as well, but mixed with a bit of the original sound bits used for the original attacks.

(3) COLOR RESTORATION: So to help with the games charm, I looked through some old notes of mine and remembered that one of the things I wanted to do was have plants, animals, or friendly objects that would be uncolored and that if you collected enough color, they would be restored, and possibly aid you. Well I after thinking out some designs and new ideas, I'm going to be adding objects and plants that do this.

Basically, there would be a gray plant (like a sunflower) and it would look gloomy and sad. But when you touch it, it's color will be restored, you get color added to your counter, and it dances in happiness! It's basically a "fancier" way of collecting color, hearts, or such. I might also apply this to certain platform or the such. For instance I could have a sad dandylion that once you recolor, will create a seed that flies off which you can hop on to another platform above. The ideas are endless, but I'll have to plot carefully.

(4) OVERALL TONE: I've scratched down the plot for the game and have the cutscenes thought out for the most part. It will be quite...interesting. See the thing is that I also plan on having the wolf character, Spirit, playable. While I haven't precisely thought out how she'll play, I think it will be some what like Vivid, but with different moves and physics. Such as she would be faster but can't wall jump or fit in small places. I might also make her something like Yoshi, but this can all be thought out later. Ultimately, she's an extension of what Vivid is already.

Anyways, I say "interesting" because I think it would add to the story if for a world you could only play as one character because the other one gets kidnapped or something. It would make for interesting puzzles that can only revolve around ONE character rather than the two together. It would also keep the game fresh and interesting as you played.

I'm also trying to figure out what I could do with a water world. For one, I don't want swimming in this game, so I'm probably going to have a water world but minus the physics. But I might also try something else that's interesting. Again, you effect things in this game depending on your color. So perhaps if you turn BLUE in the water, it might have a special effect on you? I don't want anything to convoluted, so I'll probably keep it simple. I might do nothing in the end, but the thing abut most water levels in games is that things are overall spread out which is perfect for a game like this.

(5) GREENLIGHT and DEMO: Very close to being done, but got to get all those details finished and make sure everything is player friendly! Composer has all the necessary music finished and I've adjusted/added sound effects so they all sound nice and clear. The new sounds for enemy hits/deaths is very rewarding I think. Still needing to work on remaking some enemies and effects so the overall experience is flashier. I think the big thing over this next week of work is the word "flashy". When it comes to games, I'm mainly at the technical end (Though I absolutely LOVE making art and deep stuff...I somehow find myself trying to make the gameplay the best it can be first before making stuff look impressive...so odd).

From here on out...it's all about the flash. Though I guess there are a few technical things left, the biggest thing being the secret stages I'd like to add. Will I do them? That depends on if I think they need to be added to the Demo. So perhaps. I'll see how long it will take me. Other than that, I got to change the HUD again due to the shader, change some tiles and backgrounds, and adjust everything in the right place.

So there's your news for the week. I'm hoping to either be VERY close to release or even have it on Greenlight by the next time I make another Devlog here. See ya folks!

LucasMaxBros
Level 2

My body is ready.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2015, 11:44:59 PM »

DEVLOG #14:

Alright! Demo 3.0 is here! Go to this thread if you'd like to comment about it/play it:  http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=49052.0

I'm currently waiting to see if anybody finds any snags in it, I want to at least be sure that if I have any Let's Player play this game that they don't have something frustrating happen to them. After a few days, I'll launch the Greenlight page! Less than a week until people get to vote, I'm excited!

I've worked very hard on this project for over 6 months now and it's time to begin spreading the news about it over the internet. I'll have to be working hard if I wish to do that. I've found a few people who'll certainly help the cause. I really appreciate it.

Since the Devlog...not that much has actually changed programming wise. I've mainly focused on laying out the Demo Stages so they look nice, nothing distracting going on, and just making sure everything is easy and straight-forward enough yet challenging. It's just been a lot of small details, such as new sound effects and particles.

Now one of my main future concerns is how I'm going to do cutscenes. The method I was using originally just isn't cutting it in my opinion. I want something simple, but has a lot of effort into it yet clean. I might try using images that move or are slightly animated in some fashion. I'll have to look around and see what I could do. I remember Kirby's Dreamland 3 had a nice simple introduction scene that I liked, but maybe I can do something with more motion to it...

So next Devlog should be the Greenlight launch! The Hype is real!

LucasMaxBros
Level 2

My body is ready.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2015, 12:39:43 PM »

DEVLOG GREENLIGHT EDITION:

(EDIT: Was on Greenlight, will be back on Greenlight once game is revamped!)

Yup, it's on Greenlight right now! So please go and vote yes!

It's been several months in the making, had a few people test the demo and have said they like it, even thought it showed signs of polish which is a great compliment. But we now got to go overload with spreading the news about it. That means getting people to showcase it, gets the attention of sites everywhere and just showing a good example.

But I technically have all the time in the world since it's not like this is going anywhere. Should it somehow die down, I can always resubmit it but I doubt I'll need to do that.

What do I expect from all of this? I remember, when I last tried Greenlight (First time it was) I received a large sum of No votes which worried me. While it still does (it was like 75% NO) I did learn that a large amount of people will say no regardless of how good your game is. Usually being around the 50/50 mark. What will I get this time? Heck if I know, just hope it's better than 75/25.

How successful do I think this will be? I also do not know. I also know Steam isn't the only option, so I'm going to have success either way. I hope for a good sum of sales either way.

Now is the time to get active, ain't getting much done just typing. Besides there's still plenty of game to develop, so better get back to it. Please support my game in anyway you can as word by mouth is a great way to get things started!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 03:51:36 PM by LucasMaxBros » Logged

LucasMaxBros
Level 2

My body is ready.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2015, 12:07:33 AM »

DEVLOG #15 (Very important one!):

So... We have some problems. My current experience with how Greenlight is going is quite different from what I had happening last year. Despite my last game being far worse (development wise) than what I have here, it seems to actually be doing some what worse. I barely had any media coverage then, in fact I didn't even have Twitter! But yet, as of day two, even with the emails I've sent and retweets, the votes are slowing down to a stand still.

I know that you need an audience. I've known this for years, but it's so hard for me to manage one. Especially as I'm making a game at the same time. I've been trying really hard to get the attention of others and trying to friend others, but I still have problems. I of course just need a bigger audience, that is key to ALL of the problems. Because no matter how good the game is, it isn't going to get anywhere without others wanting it.

But there are things that I feel just don't add up, even when I thought the numbers would be low, they were still lower than I predicted. For instance, I have it so people can download the demo on IndieDB, which is arguably one of the best places to get a download of a game in the works.

So how many new downloads have I received after the game was posted on Steam Greenlight? ZERO! Not a single person was interested in even trying out the game. I look back to the other game I had posted on Greenlight long ago (Quad Knight), and it received several. In fact, even the downloads that were posted long after I submitted the game on Greenlight had over 36! So how is it that no one is interested in this? At least a few people had taken notice with the artwork and on here.

I suppose one of the biggest reasons is because literally after it was posted, the news of Iwata's death shook the gaming world. I was unable to do any tweets about my game because 1. I didn't want to with the news and 2. Nobody would really pay attention with that kind of news. So the first day...was a mess to say the least.

But I did receive votes and comments. Some people showed interest, some gave critiques, others made weird insults (One person called this a browser game...I don't get it). For critiques, it was the artwork. Apparently, some think it's cringe-worthy or was programmers art(Which is insulting, I've been working on it for 6 MONTHS. No it isn't even in the LEAST like Programmers Art). Some did point out justifiable problems which helped...but that was it for the comments. It did have me think about the art as a whole. I've kept the Vivid sprite the same since March I believe, and I think the game could use something from an art perspective that would do nothing to effect it programming-wise. So I might remake ALL the art this time around instead of constantly shuffling between the two.

One problem I noticed with the art was that Vivid had no shading compared to EVERYTHING else. It's so strange that I didn't notice. But if I did that, it would certainly look better! But even then, that isnt the biggest issue, and this one is something I discovered today on my own.

There's no "real" aesthetic to the game, by which I mean the art is not any sort of form of art or style. I just drew what I saw fit. The tiles? Just shapes with some texture. Vivid? She has an outline, simple design, but based on what? What is anything based on art wise?! Originally when I made this game from day one, I was going to have some Marker, Crayon or Colored Pencil effect...but I didn't like how the art came out so I scrapped it and just made some simple shapes...and it just went from there with a minimalist look.

But I recently had a cool idea, though it's sort of been done before through multiple games. Paper! Crafts & Art! I think if everything had that aesthetic, something like Paper Mario, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Little Big Planet, Yoshi's Story, etc. it would look a lot more complete. So I'm looking into it and hopefully I'll set up a better impression for those who look at the game. There are many possibilities to the design and it would make tile and enemy designs a snap!

But the biggest problem...is audience. I NEED to get one if I wish to even be remotely successful. But this aesthetic promises some good things. Because I'll be focused on art, I'll be posting it more and getting more attention. Plus I'm making it a full on goal to get as many supporters on Twitter as possible before attempting to post the game again (By which I mean if nothing happens in the next few days, I'm taking the game off of Greenlight Temporarily until the game is ready again). I will be aiming for a 1000 followers if possible. And I will be trying to be more active here and help others with their games if possible.

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2015, 03:45:08 AM »

You didn't choose a good day to post your greenlight that's true.

looked at the critics in the greenlight page.
the art is cringe worthy ,  you should improve on making the character and the tiles feels like they belong to the same world. The reason it looks like programmer is the inconsistency and also to be honest , the main character isn't that well made  ,  suffers from a case of programmer art
another browser like game ignore this.
-> pretty sure it's art related.

and i noticed that you're using this excuse :  
Considering the art has been reworked several times already ,  I just wanted a more simple design. I showed it off, and I got good feedback. I disagree with the Tiles looking like Programmer Art. I've redesigned them several times already

i think you need to learn how to look back at your work without all the hard work and passion you've put in it.

You said that you got a good feedback on your character. Who are those people who told you that? Were they really honest. Sometimes it's hard to find honest criticism.

I somewhat agree with the critics about your art. Your game looks solid but the art isn't.
Not to be mean, but this picture alone shows a lot of flaws. the character is anatomically incorrect and even as an intentional anime cartoon like proportion there is something off. Same for your sprites. it looks amateurish.
The title is also off. It's like you put a lot of photoshop effects.

i don't understand why you used the title alone as the banner for the greenlight game.

You said you worked 6 months in the art. Time means nothing.  usually audience is proportional to the art quality.

this looks solid. i think you have more knowledge on animating 4 legged beasts. Quad Knight looked more professionel btw.
LucasMaxBros
Level 2

My body is ready.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2015, 08:03:41 AM »

I literally just posted about how I was going to redo all the art...

And yes, I had some people like the running GIF here on the forums and the other animations on Deviantart as well as some of the screenshots. So some people appreciate it. I already explained what I think was the cause of the art problem at this point. I'm not a bad artist, it's just that I can only truly focus on one thing at a time. Now that I have most of the technical aspects out of the way, Art will better. I predict that it will take up to a month at LEAST to get all of it done and researched.

Quad Knight looked pretty bad. I mean, there were some cool looking things, such as his animations, but the tiles weren't that good and the other stuff was stiff. I do plan on returning to it one day, but I want to get better animation first. Also, you calling my stuff amateur? Look at Quad Knight! I still face palm at the cutscenes I made for one of the Demos...

Also, I will FULLY argue about the Sprites for Vivid (Enemies, you can say so as I can do a lot more with them). Her animations  look good and clean. Can I do better? Probably, but this ain't no Disney animated Video Game. I'm going to redo them regardless though, so who cares.

I still think a bunch of the game still looks good regardless of what everyone has said. I don't think it looks good together, I don't think it's perfect or great, but definitely could be used in something else down the road. And when I said I redid them a bunch of times, I'm just saying that I'm not being lazy here. I'm actually trying unlike what many other games on Greenlight seem to be.   

LucasMaxBros
Level 2

My body is ready.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2015, 03:46:25 PM »

Okay! Not a Devlog again, in fact, it's been over a month since the lat post! But things are being worked on. I have fully secured on what I want to do with the game and have been drawing doodles of what EVERY level will look like, what every enemy will do, just...everything.

So with a new focus, it's time that I begin redoing every art asset in the game. So far, I'm digging the new art a lot. The only thing I feel like posting today however is this sheet which contains 16 different objects/mechanics you'll find in the game. This is concept art, so it's not 100% that all these objects will act just as described:

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic