Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411558 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 10:48:33 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesEDGE Games and Tim Langdell ( Mobigame's Edge pulled because of the word Edge )
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 112
Print
Author Topic: EDGE Games and Tim Langdell ( Mobigame's Edge pulled because of the word Edge )  (Read 425594 times)
Oddbob
« Reply #480 on: June 10, 2009, 03:26:36 AM »

You can over here Smiley
Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #481 on: June 10, 2009, 03:30:06 AM »

Hmm, I stand corrected.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #482 on: June 10, 2009, 04:29:45 AM »

Edit: Apparently there is some truth to the teenage wasteland story. Here's a casting call dated last year: http://freecastingcall.com/casting-calls-and-auditions-in-hollywood-ca/seeking-actors-for-pilot-presentation-teenage-wasteland.html

Check out the plot:
The plot for “Teenage Wasteland” has everyone over the age of thirty dead due a solar flare and the beaches of California become lawless and all the surviving youths form tribes of martial artists, break dancers and skateboarders.

Okay, let me get this straight: a solar flare, which normally causes harmless things like the aurora borealis and harmful things to anyone not protected by a planetary atmosphere, somehow releases enough energy to burn through the Earth's atmosphere and subject the entire population to deadly amounts of radiation, yet everyone younger than 30 survive?  What?

I'm going to pretend I hallucinated the second half of that really long sentence.

games are full of scientific impossibilities though -- mushrooms that make you grow for instance. it's an interesting premise for a story. it reminds me a bit of evangelion, where there was something about only 13-year-olds being able to pilot giant robots

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #483 on: June 10, 2009, 05:16:12 AM »

Well, that particular idea in a movie context is ripped wholesale from Logan's Run.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #484 on: June 10, 2009, 05:38:49 AM »

i thought logan's run where they killed you after a certain age -- that's more dystopic than post-apocalyptic

Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #485 on: June 10, 2009, 05:47:56 AM »

Yeah, Logan's Run isn't really like that, but it's a popularly recycled theme in 'young adult' sci-fi and I'm sure I can recall more than one shitty kid's show that used the premise.
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #486 on: June 10, 2009, 05:48:08 AM »

i thought logan's run where they killed you after a certain age -- that's more dystopic than post-apocalyptic
It's good enough for me! Ready the lynch mob!

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #487 on: June 10, 2009, 05:50:19 AM »

another similar one was lord of the flies -- kids stranded on an island reverting to their tribalistic nature -- i think that one was the best take on this idea i've read

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #488 on: June 10, 2009, 05:52:24 AM »

Well, that particular idea in a movie context is ripped wholesale from Logan's Run.
It's more likely a straight rip of The Tribe. I think in The Tribe though it turned out the adults were killed by a virus.

Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #489 on: June 10, 2009, 05:54:07 AM »

I'm reading Lord of the Flies right now, I wonder why I didn't mention it. That was probably the first, and best, the rest tend to be all "yay the adults are gone let's eat candy and/or dye our hair and make clothes out of hubcaps".
Ninomojo
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #490 on: June 10, 2009, 06:44:30 AM »

I find it funny that his website says that "many hit C64 game will soon be available on WiiWare". You can't get C64 games on WiiWare.

Exactly. That's how you know he's either not a registered Wii developer, or if he is he hasn't read the basic WiiWare documentation. A real pro. Big Laff

Ninomojo
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #491 on: June 10, 2009, 06:46:29 AM »

You can over here Smiley

Are you talking about C64 games on WiiWare? Don't get confused with Virtual Console, it's not the same.

Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #492 on: June 10, 2009, 07:19:11 AM »

Also, what the hell is Mythora 2? There isn't even a mythora 1.

And he says he fuckin made Alien Syndrome.

AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #493 on: June 10, 2009, 08:35:25 AM »

To add to Adam's statfest a bit, using my epic knowledgebanks of doom:

http://docs.google.com/View?id=dfnb2s7p_1cmhxprcp

Excluding compilations, I get it to 99 unique titles.

Let's break it down a bit further:

Total number of reissues in the list: 15 (listed in ### light blue)   
Total number of titles coming soon: 5 (listed in ###  canal street pink)
Total number of compilations: 3 (listed in ###  dirty orange)
Utilities: 6* (listed in ### aqua-ish)
Total of games published in the recent past (roughly the past 15 years): 5 ** (listed in ### yellow-y)
Out of total games published, titles I'm unable to verify but have included assuming good faith: 3
Entries I was unable to find details of Edge actually publishing: 2 (listed in ### naughty purple)

*(number quite possibly larger than Tim has listed in his own personal softography)
** (6 if you include phone port of Bobby Bearing made, I guess,  in Poland)

[edit]

Tidied up the Google Doc a tad. Just numbering actual released games (and a couple I'm giving the benefit of the doubt on as I can't find evidence to the contrary, so I'm going with good faith here).

77 Games total.

Good stuff Grin

cup full of magic charisma
aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #494 on: June 10, 2009, 08:53:16 AM »

even though yea, he's only really released 71 games or so. They are still all separate SKUs so he could _technically_ defend that by defining "games" as separate SKUs and etc.

Though... that doesn't make it any less misleading to the general game development population. Building a career on technicalities and gotchas is a sad life indeed.

AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #495 on: June 10, 2009, 09:34:10 AM »

Yeah, claiming to have "personally worked on several hundred SKUs" is enough of a stretch or collection of technicalities that I'm happy to call it a lie.  His COMPANY published SEVENTY games TWENTY years ago.  There is NO evidence that Tim himself had anything to do with those 70 games.  The only evidence we have of the developer relationships from back then is that Tim tried very hard to screw over the folks who were doing the porting and original development for those games.

But hey, Tom Buscaglia is probably right, Tim was "making games" before we were old enough to masturbate.

Seriously embarrassing.

AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #496 on: June 10, 2009, 09:41:30 AM »

Also just requoting my favorite bit of his bio on the IGDA directors page:

Tim has worked on almost 200 titles over his career to-date

Shrug

fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #497 on: June 10, 2009, 09:42:23 AM »

WHEN IS THE IGDA GOING TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS?

MorganRamsay
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #498 on: June 10, 2009, 09:55:06 AM »

Just wrote a big-ass post summing up the Langdell events thus far:

http://tigsource.com/articles/2009/06/09/tim-langdell-and-edge-part-two

Let me know if I'm missing anything or if anything is incorrect or could be clarified.

You can directly link to my post about the governing documents. I think links to the actual Bylaws (PDF) and Code of Ethics (PDF) would be more useful though. Or a brief "call to action" explanation about what remedies are available to IGDA members. An online petition doesn't sound worthwhile -- change is more often and more effectively made from within organizations, not outside them.
aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #499 on: June 10, 2009, 09:58:03 AM »

Just wanted to post this comment in case some of you didn't completely exhaust all the resources from Derek's archival post. It's from the comments in Jacob's post. I thought it was a pretty sound description from someone who seems to know their shit about the ins and outs of Trademarks.

Quote from: Alex Whiteside (from comments section of Stephen Jacob's gama blog post)
I've been compelled to register to clear up some schoolboy-level misunderstandings of trademark law that are being propagated here. As a disclaimer, my own background in IP law is only as much as I've picked up on mandatory training (to ensure we don't cause a legal fiasco in our jobs) and has more to do with patents, which are a much more cut-and-dry field.

The idea that someone can "register" a patent and then anyone who uses it is "infringing" is a common fallacy that comes from confusing trademark law and patent law. Trademark registration is simply a way of publishing your trademark so that others can avoid infringing upon it and provides no additional legal protection. If anything, it is for the legal benefit of others, who can avoid wasting money developing what turns out to be someone else's distinctive mark. All trademarks, registered and unregistered, whether they have that little "TM" sign or not, are equally protected.

Trademark "infringment" is a civil offense that's decided on a "reasonable" basis. Essentially, someone infringes on your trademark if their actions can be reasonably expected to lead to confusion between themselves and your business/products/whatever in practice. For example, if I release a product called "Coca Cola", then obviously that will confuse any reasonable customer into believing that it's made by the Coca Cola Company. You could argue that the product is a cheeseburger and not a soda, but that probably won't fly because the "Coca Cola" name itself is so tightly bound to the Coca Cola Company in the public consciousness. I would obviously be trading off Coca-Cola's reputation as a business.

However, suppose that tomorrow a children's book company decided to call itself "Caterpillar", with a cute little green caterpillar as the logo. That word is the trademark for a hugely successful and well-known brand of hydraulic equipment, and a great deal of licenced merchandise tying into that image. However it's extremely unlikely that any reasonable individual would confuse the two companies. The word "Caterpillar" is not distinctive enough, and not unique enough, for that confusion to arise when the two companies are in entirely different lines of business. Therefore that would not constitute an infringement.

As another example, suppose you have a company called "Venice Blinds" that produces blinds to be sold under store own-brands. Another company calling itself "Venice", and producing blinds, would likely be confused with the original by buyers for retail chains, and therefore that trademark would have been infringed upon. However a blinds company called "Spiffy Blinds" could put out a set of Venetian blinds called "Memories of Venice" direct to the consumer. Given that nobody in consumerland is aware that "Venice Blinds" exists, there's no risk of customer confusion. If "Venice Blinds" was a household name, it might be that a reasonable person would belive that "Memories of Venice" was somehow derived from Venice Blinds' product range, and we're back to infringement.

As you can see, trademark law is very context-sensitive, and it is very much based upon the public awareness of the mark. Trademark law is engineered to ensure business cannot trade off each other's reputations. It's not like patent law, or a registered design, where someone is given an exclusive right to something in exchange for registration.

We have a special case here in that EDGE Games' web-site attempts to present Langdell's licencees' products as his own, and therefore he is acting contrary to his obligation, as a trademark holder, to protect his mark's distinctiveness. If Edge is his trademark, he is obligated to ensure that people know that those products were not actually his. In fact he is doing the opposite, and therefore his trademark is diluted. This would not lead to a very positive outcome if he was attempting to defend the mark in court: defendants could argue that his claim was in bad faith.

To exacerbate matters, he uses the distinctive marks of EDGE Magazine as his own logo and a huge amount of former EDGE Magazine website content (much of which still links back to www.edge-online.co.uk) for his own business, which means that in all likelihood he's infringing on Future Publishing's trademarks in the form of the distinctive EDGE Magazine "E" symbol, which is much more strongly linked with that magazine than it is with EDGE Games.

Mr. Langdell has no reason for accusing the Edge iPhone game of "copyright infringement", as some sites have reported, which is an entirely different tort. I suspect mistranslation somewhere.

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 112
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic