Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 15, 2024, 02:01:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBattle Buggy Glitch [Top Down Shooter][Download Demo]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Battle Buggy Glitch [Top Down Shooter][Download Demo]  (Read 4367 times)
Kidash
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: June 30, 2016, 07:24:28 PM »

As an army of one, destroy waves of enemies across different arena-style battle grounds. Strategically collect weapons and perks to increase your chances of survival. Test your skill against bosses that are determined to eliminate you before you can blink. You only have one life.

Demo Available on GameJolt
http://gamejolt.com/games/battle-buggy-glitch-demo/162355

Here are some snaps and video link (at the very bottom)

« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 07:47:04 AM by Kidash » Logged

Kidash
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 08:48:54 PM »

Chopper AI in the making.

bdsowers
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 08:32:55 AM »

What are the big red circles for? They seem a little unnecessary.

I like the beginnings. I've made a couple similar games myself, and there's a lot of fun stuff you can do here.

Kidash
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 08:53:59 AM »

What are the big red circles for? They seem a little unnecessary.

I like the beginnings. I've made a couple similar games myself, and there's a lot of fun stuff you can do here.

The circles are just for testing. Line of sight for the choppers. Was trying to figure out what range would be best before they went aggressive on the player.

I welcome any suggestions you might have  Smiley

Kidash
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 06:16:21 AM »

Testing out random perk and random weapon generation.  Cry so many bugs to get through. But I got about 20 unique weapons (unique in how they work) and about 10 perks so far. Still experimenting with perks that aren't so common in other games. hooray for progress.

Kidash
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 06:39:26 AM »

Finally figured out how to manage random perk and weapon pick ups... Game Maker is just so awesom.  Beer! Tired Coffee
Here's a quick snap of what things look like.

Kidash
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 05:23:15 AM »

Boss Battles
What's an action game with bosses, right? Dealing with waves of minions is fun. However, to give the game a little more spice, boss levels (I think) will make things that much more interesting. Hand Any Key Hand Joystick

These guys will serve as the first boss. Starting off with a lot more frustration than expected... muhahahahahahahahaha. My Word!

Plans for a demo
Truth be told, I want to put a small price on the final game. I'm working on a demo to get guys who like these kinds of genres excited. Well, hello there!

It will have a couple of stages leading to the first boss battle. Perks and guns won't all be there. Even after release, the thing I want to do is keep developing for as long as the updates can remain relevant. I figure I can use the demo to showcase potential. Beer! Coffee Screamy

Kidash
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 09:52:22 PM »

A small change. I didn't like how the first type looked. No No NO Cool Cheesy Who, Me?

Kidash
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2016, 11:55:44 AM »

Before game dev, I was actually into graphics. If you are interested, you can check out my deviant art page http://kidando.deviantart.com/ or my dribbble profile https://dribbble.com/kidando

One of the hardest things I had to do was identity design.

I learned a couple of things about colors and what not, so I thought I'd put something together for Battle Buggy Glitch. Since the theme is somewhat tron-ish, I went for this 80s style look.

Decided to go for that 80s style logo...ish. I like it. Looks like I'm keeping it.

Kidash
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2016, 12:49:37 PM »

Last update for the day  Tired
Title screen intro. The shaders add a nice and subtle effect. I love Game Maker

Kidash
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 11:54:01 AM »

A lot of "little" features have been added, including room transitions (Player is persistent, carrying over all his perks, weapons and loot over to the next stage).

General code cleanup so that I can begin adding more classes of enemies.

I was going to go for randomly generated stage layouts... but my goal is really to have this small game out as soon as yesterday. I might revisit that as an extra mode if it actually does well.

Kidash
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2016, 12:21:58 PM »

The weapon system is actually quite interesting.
Each projectile type, handles differently from the other. Not just in damage and firing rate, but in other ways as well. Like this guy below.

I can't really say much without giving much of it away, but with a current arsenal of 20 weapons, picking up the right items will determine whether or not you make it to the last stage Smiley

Hand Any Key Hand Any Key Hand Any Key Hand Any Key Hand Any Key

Kidash
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2016, 08:25:12 AM »

Pause menu, death menu.
Keeping things simple for now.
It's been a process having to unlearn the unproductive ways of focusing on so much detail during the early stages of development. Personally, focusing on polish before figuring out whether the game will make sense or not can really set you down a path of regret. IDK... What do you think?

Hand Any Key Hand Joystick Beer! Tired Coffee

Kidash
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2016, 08:59:38 AM »

Making video game music is kinda tough. Respect to all those indies that nail it.
I currently do the tracks in FL Studio which I have been using for a while (Way before becoming a game dev). However I really feel like I could have someone else do that. Especially someone who has got mad-crazy skills in a number of genres. But getting those guys doesn't come easy (especially on the bank). But if... I mean WHEN game dev begins to pay off, I will definitely set aside significant budgets for music. I don't know... I just love great music in games Mock Anger Mock Anger Mock Anger Mock Anger

Here's a video of the track I just made called Battle Buggy Glitch. Demo almost complete now. Just need to tie in the title screen, create a splash page and a demo-end page.

A couple of stages and a boss fight. That should be awesome, right? Hope you like the song

Tired Beer!

Kidash
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2016, 10:31:19 PM »

Not much to add in this update. I have extended the demo gameplay to just one more level/stage. Just to hint at the possibility of variation. Smiley.
Plus added in a lot of 8-bit nes-type sounds for the fx. Works great.
Now... time to do last minute cleanups and to finalize pause menu buttons.
Shooting for releasing the demo this weekend.

Kidash
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2016, 11:18:09 AM »

So, how do you help players get familiar with the game? Do you teach them every single thing? Or just enough to get them going? In-game tutorials or do you dedicate a room/scene to show them the basics? I did the latter. Welcome to buggy bootcamp.
Final touches now. Hand Joystick

Tired Beer! Beer! Coffee Gentleman My Word!

Kidash
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2016, 11:32:35 PM »

Decided to end the tutorial section with a Blue Pill / Red Pill choice. I'm a huge fan of The Matrix. In fact, just finished watching all 3 movies again (for the millionth time).
Just a little fun Smiley. Wondering if this counts as an Easter egg?

Kidash
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2016, 12:02:42 PM »

Finally. After weeks of anxiety and hard work, demo is finally here.
 Beer! Beer! Beer! Beer!

Download and play from GameJolt
http://gamejolt.com/games/battle-buggy-glitch-demo/162355

GarBenjamin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2016, 12:47:57 PM »

Looks quite solid so far. Kind of reminds me of Bit Blaster XL. Great job!

Play Play Atlantic Crisis [BETA] in your browser!
Kidash
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2016, 06:55:24 PM »

Looks quite solid so far. Kind of reminds me of Bit Blaster XL. Great job!

Thank you Smiley

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic