Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411673 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 17, 2024, 12:15:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralI just got Far Cry 2...
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: I just got Far Cry 2...  (Read 1000 times)
reetva
Level 5

Bee dee bai do beeeee

View Profile
« on: October 22, 2008, 02:35:05 PM »

And it is amazing. I will report back with more detailed impressions later, but the second real mission in the game served up what was to me the most gratifying single mission in any video game ever. Call me crazy, but I will state my opinion: The "Recon Phase" is what makes this game what it is. Imagine yourself playing Call of Duty 4 single player. It certainly is exhilarating, but there is very little opportunity for different approaches. Now, imagine yourself playing a game that allows you to scout the area. You notice that you are low on ammo, so you scout out an ammo pile and find only one. Unfortunately, there are five guards standing right by it. You suddenly remember that, with a single shot, you can send bullets flying everywhere. You can take this route, but then there will be no more ammo to take. Maybe, you think, you can take out the guards with the ammo pile, then start a fire, blocking the enemies from pursuing you, so that you can rescue the hostage! No, you think, you would have to confront the gun-toting guards when you leave, or maybe the fire would block your escape route. So you take the most plausible idea and run with it: Sneak past all the guards, release the hostage, and sneak back out. That last one is the route I took, and it worked flawlessly, with the exception of the grenade I accidentally threw. No one managed to see me, anyway, so all was well. Now, imagine if I had taken one of the other routes. Would I have survived? Quite likely, yes, but I took the route most suited to me. That is what Far Cry 2 is all about; it's always your choice.

Hello!  I am here to boogie.  Shall we?
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 11:33:38 PM »

Glad to hear it. I've been looking forward to this game a lot.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic