Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411532 Posts in 69382 Topics- by 58438 Members - Latest Member: isabel.adojo

May 02, 2024, 11:13:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralHow do games affect relationships?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: How do games affect relationships?  (Read 9181 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2008, 01:57:58 PM »

I don't think you're bad, I just think you don't know how to word things politely, or at least know how but don't make the effort to do so.

And of course you're in a relationship, everyone is in at least a few relationships with family and friends.

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2008, 02:00:21 PM »

Significant relationships are most definitely not essential to human existence, I don't know how you could have come to that conclusion.

I disagree. I think that the human race wouldn't have gotten this far without building social relationship between other humans and using their experience and knowledge to survive together. I am a very independent person but even I think it absurd to think that human existence could survive without a social network. Human existence needs social relationships to survive if at the very least that just means procreation.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2008, 02:06:18 PM »

Significant relationships are most definitely not essential to human existence, I don't know how you could have come to that conclusion.

I disagree. I think that the human race wouldn't have gotten this far without building social relationship between other humans and using their experience and knowledge to survive together. I am a very independent person but even I think it absurd to think that human existence could survive without a social network. Human existence needs social relationships to survive if at the very least that just means procreation.
Sorry, meant "to a human's existence".

Random fact: female ferrets are another story.

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2008, 02:11:01 PM »

That could be debated as well but I would accept that declaration more than the entirety of human existence.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2008, 01:27:44 PM »

I think saying that your significant other comes before games no matter what is kind of dumb.

I mean, obviously, if there's a crisis or something shut the damn game off and be there for them.  But in my everyday life, games are a part of me. 

I play games alone sometimes, and my girlfriend understands that I enjoy this and gives me the space.  During these times I'd rather be playing the game then be with my girlfriend.  Not because I "like them better" or anything, but because I'm a human being.  I'd say that's much healthier than always dropping games for your girlfriend, unless of course you don't even like games all that much in the first place (but then it'll be replaced by something else).

I guess what I'm saying is that if I had to choose between girls and games I'd choose girls, but I'd have to find another hobby pretty quick or I'd go insane.

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2008, 04:11:51 PM »

You ever seen someone with no social interaction? Hermits go bonkers, man! So it may not be necessary for human existence, I think it is for human sanity. And by definition, not much IS necessary for our existence. Fluids, food, and air, yeah?

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2008, 09:37:43 PM »

You ever seen someone with no social interaction? Hermits go bonkers, man! So it may not be necessary for human existence, I think it is for human sanity. And by definition, not much IS necessary for our existence. Fluids, food, and air, yeah?

Actually, children are known to have severe health problems if deprived of human contact and would certainly not be competitive in adulthood in any evolutionary sense of the term without it.

Also, more literally, a huge reason we as a species survived to become the dominant species on Earth is our social nature.  So humanity's existence probably does depend on it.

fullspectrum
Level 1

Rogue Harvester

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2008, 01:11:08 AM »

I think saying that your significant other comes before games no matter what is kind of dumb.

I mean, obviously, if there's a crisis or something shut the damn game off and be there for them.  But in my everyday life, games are a part of me. 

I play games alone sometimes, and my girlfriend understands that I enjoy this and gives me the space.  During these times I'd rather be playing the game then be with my girlfriend.  Not because I "like them better" or anything, but because I'm a human being.  I'd say that's much healthier than always dropping games for your girlfriend, unless of course you don't even like games all that much in the first place (but then it'll be replaced by something else).

I guess what I'm saying is that if I had to choose between girls and games I'd choose girls, but I'd have to find another hobby pretty quick or I'd go insane.

Spot on. Think I'll copy and paste this in an email to my girl.. Grin
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic