Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411707 Posts in 69401 Topics- by 58456 Members - Latest Member: roeyskatt

May 20, 2024, 10:09:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWeb hosting woes
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Web hosting woes  (Read 6454 times)
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2008, 06:46:52 AM »

Sorted!

AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2008, 01:57:18 PM »

I used 110mb for a while. I can say it's not bad.
interesting...according to the website and some reviews (they link to a review site called free-webhosts.com) this seems to be a good one...
no drawbacks?

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2008, 02:05:35 PM »

110mb has a maximum file size of 8mb. Meaning if your game is larger than 8mb, forget it.

Also no MySQL, which means no forums, no wiki, no high score table, no content management software, no blog, etc.

It also has a 150-day inactivity limit. If you don't check on your site at least once every 5 months, they delete it.

But as far as free hosts go, it doesn't seem bad. I couldn't live without MySQL databases though, they're pretty essential. And most of my games are larger than 8mb zipped.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2008, 02:13:16 PM »

I just looked into 110mb more, and another problem is it only allows certain file types. Here's a list of file types it does and doesn't allow -- types not allowed include .MP3, .RAR, .WMA, .WMV, .MOV, .EXE, .CAB, .AVI, etc. -- they have a list of only 600 allowed file extensions.

They also apparently have a history of adding ads to people's pages without notice; in 2006 they for a time added google ads to free sites even though their FAQ said they would never do that. They took them down eventually, but would you really trust a company that would break its own promises like that once? They might do it again.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 02:54:01 PM by rinkuhero » Logged

Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2008, 02:58:29 PM »

Rinkuhero: I actually went and tried 110mb. I was planning use of free file hosts for my games, the 110mb site would just be a kind of HUB. Since I'm modifying a free template, I could always migrate it elsewhere eventually, if it becomes too restrictive. The biggest hurdle for me was to actually go ahead and launch the site, which I needed an idiot-proof process to help with.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2008, 03:06:55 PM »

I guess it could be used as a hub, one could keep the forums, blog, files, etc., all external if one needed them. Though I still think it's a lot of hassle considering how cheap web hosting is nowadays. Only 10 years ago or so, web hosting cost about 100x as much, even factoring inflation in. So it's strange not to take advantage of how cheap it is now.

Renton
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2008, 03:08:48 PM »

By the way, do any of you guys know a good and cheap site for hosting? ChevyRay was talking about one some weeks ago, but I think it was a short term deal.
AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2008, 03:21:18 PM »

By the way, do any of you guys know a good and cheap site for hosting? ChevyRay was talking about one some weeks ago, but I think it was a short term deal.
when i launch my site i think i will choose hostgator.com ...(they seem very good according to some personal recommendations, the reviews on the net and awards...also the hosting options are pretty comprehensive)
they start with 5$
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 03:28:33 PM by AuthenticKaizen » Logged

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2008, 03:25:34 PM »

about cheap hosting.
well check out mediafire.com
maybe do some research but they seem to be good and got also some awards.
like a filehoster with menu option unlimited bandwidth and storage and 100 mb per file.

they could also be interesting for i like cake. for his stuff.  Gentleman
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 11:26:35 AM by AuthenticKaizen » Logged

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2008, 03:29:47 PM »

See above! That's what we've been discussing for most of this thread already Smiley

Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2008, 03:30:00 PM »

Rinkuhero: I know Smiley, it's probably easier to just pay for it, but see it as a free demo, if you like it, you buy the game. I want to see if I have the spirit to put a site online and care for it. Then I might buy into a real package.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2008, 03:36:54 PM »

Ah, that's true. I also started using free hosting, I used Xoom back in 1999-2000 to start my first site. It suddenly was gone one day, without notice, when Xoom went bankrupt -- they didn't even give people enough warning to back up their sites, and didn't even notify them by email when they vanished. That kind of left a bad taste in my mouth for free hosting.

Hilariously, I just read on that Wikipedia page that they only offered 100 MB of bandwidth per month. I think I use more than that now most *days*.

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2008, 05:41:56 PM »

I was about to ask how you used nearly 100 Mb a day, then I checked my own traffic use Shocked It really adds up! I'm already at 7.2Gbs this month (though I'd say two thirds of that is IndieFAQs)...

I use Hosting365.ie, which is pretty good for what it offers (€4.50 a month for 50Gb bandwidth, 2Gb storage, good utilities like Horde), though it seems from their website that they've gone very corporate and no longer offer basic shared hosting...

I actually have way more bandwidth than I need at that, so I often offer hosting to other people who need it. Lurk, let me know if I can be of any help! Beer!

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2008, 05:53:14 PM »

Well, the Immortal Defense demo is around 18 MB. So even just 5 downloads a day is nearly 100 MB.

medieval
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2008, 09:55:46 AM »

Nearly Free Speech sure looks interesting  Shocked I've been having my troubles with my current host lately, so if it breaks once more, that is what I'll be moving to!
Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2008, 08:59:05 PM »

I use serverpoint, which is cheap, reliable and generous with their bandwidth limits.
dmoonfire
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2008, 09:37:53 AM »

I use Dreamhost, but I was up to 6 TB/month before they switched me to the "unlimited" plan. Dreamhost also has the Files For Life thing which is a pay once for unlimited downloads of any one file. It might appeal to some people. Yeah, they sometimes get overloaded, but for what I pay (250/2 years), its pretty good deal for me.
SeiferTim
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2008, 09:43:49 AM »

I recently started using http://www.nearlyfreespeech.net - it's really inexpensive - I had $5 from a refund in my PayPal account, which I used to get started, I've set up 3 sites with a mySQL DB, about 6 months ago, and I have $3.39 left in the account.  Plus, I've never had any of my sites go down that I've noticed, which is much more than I can say for any of the numerous free services I've tried over the years.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2008, 11:48:45 AM »

I use Dreamhost, but I was up to 6 TB/month before they switched me to the "unlimited" plan. Dreamhost also has the Files For Life thing which is a pay once for unlimited downloads of any one file. It might appeal to some people. Yeah, they sometimes get overloaded, but for what I pay (250/2 years), its pretty good deal for me.

You mean you actually used up 6 TB/month? How?

dmoonfire
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2008, 12:14:12 PM »

Only used about 2.5 TB/month, but every week you are with Dreamhost, they increase your disk quota and bandwidth. And I've been with them for a very long time, so I had a pretty good allocation though I really stopped paying attention at the 6 TB point. Smiley

As for how I use the 2.5 TB, well, I host sites for friends and family. I have a few Debian repositories, and I mirror various random things. Plus, I have my own sites and forums, my wife's photography and movie sites, the family sites, my brother's image collection, and the like. Somewhere in there, I managed to fill it up. Smiley Which means I'll offer to mirror the Commonplace compilation when someone creates it, just like I did for the last one.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic