Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411562 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 08:39:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTolroko - A John carter & Avatar inspired openworld game
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17
Print
Author Topic: Tolroko - A John carter & Avatar inspired openworld game  (Read 63959 times)
dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 01, 2012, 12:40:39 AM »

We are still in desperate need of an artist or two , please contact me if you want to work on an awesome futuristic scifi game  Well, hello there!. We Need a lot of environment art, character art and animation. A Concept artist would also be much appreciated to help design and expand the game world together with our super skilled writer guy.

PythonBlue
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: November 01, 2012, 02:07:01 AM »

Do you have anyone doing the music for this project? It looks very interesting! Smiley

Python Blue - composer for NeonXSZ
Official Website
Bandcamp
dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 01, 2012, 09:13:36 AM »

Do you have anyone doing the music for this project? It looks very interesting! Smiley

No we do not, if you are interested, please mail/pm me =)

dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 04, 2012, 10:44:25 AM »

Today i have added support for custom environment settings depending on what kind of zone the player is currently in. That is changing stuff like fog, lighting, environment particles when the player enters for example a snowy area..or a forest.

Its now snowing in snowy landscapes, might have to make the snow ..more snowy

Forests now are very bluish and fogy =D ( I parked my flyer in the neighboring desert down there )

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: November 05, 2012, 09:06:40 AM »

That looks pretty cool. Perhaps the forest fog could be more 'purple-ish', but I like the atmosphere and tone of it. Nice work!

dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 05, 2012, 10:00:56 AM »

That looks pretty cool. Perhaps the forest fog could be more 'purple-ish', but I like the atmosphere and tone of it. Nice work!

yea maybe =D, made it less blue atm...and added a firefly particle system...they buzz around making it
all crawly :D. Maybe some day I will have an artist on the project that can actually make stuff prettier then I can ...maybe some day *dreams away* :D
like this:

PythonBlue
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: November 05, 2012, 12:10:06 PM »

Looking even better, dvoid! Wink

Python Blue - composer for NeonXSZ
Official Website
Bandcamp
dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 08, 2012, 03:29:09 PM »

Tales from Tolroko:
My friend Lee Williams has written a few stories based on Tolroko. The idea is that
they will inspire, define and expand the world of Tolroko. They are short stories
describing possible experiences players could have while playing Tolroko.
The writing style is inspired by Edgar Rice Burroughs.

Enjoy!

The Hero http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3416639/Tolroko-TheHero.html
The Trader http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3416639/Tolroko-TheTrader.html
The Castaway http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3416639/Tolroko-TheCastaway.html

dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 10, 2012, 10:54:25 AM »

Yet another tale from Tolroko, Lee just cant stop writing Wink

The Betrayer http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3416639/Tolroko-TheBetrayer.html

dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 12, 2012, 12:49:21 PM »

Ground vegetation added.

Minimap added.

dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 18, 2012, 11:49:43 AM »

Hello there! ITS update time!!

Been working on making the location subsystem better.
The location system handles all game logic for stuff that is not near any player at the moment.
For example ...theres a lot of cities in the world, each city may have simple logic
for updating the economy system or checking out what its neighbor cities are up to. Maybe aggression level against a neighbor city has increased to a very high level, and the city declare war and then spawns an army that will move against the enemy city. This will happen regardless if the player is nearby or not. If however the player approaches the armys location, an actual army (ships, warriors maybe tanks) will spawn there and the player can interact with them. If the army reaches its destination without the player ever being nearby the outcome of the battle will be determined by statistics ( like say a battle in CIV ). but if the player is there, the player could affect the outcome of the battle by completing goals, like destroying an attacking battleship or infiltrating the city and killing the commanding general.

The location system could also spawn things like trade caravans that moves across the world , if you encounter them a trade ship will spawn and you could trade with them or be a pirate and try to take their cargo. If the trade caravan reaches its destination and sells its cargo, the value of the cargo in that area will go down and the player may loose money because of it.

My aim is to have the entire world simulated in real-time this way, if it will work or not remains to be seen =D

dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 26, 2012, 11:40:30 AM »

Did some work on my terrain generation algorithm, it consists of several layers of different fractals
like Fractional Brownian motion and Ridged Multifractal. Its very tricky to get the parameters just the way you want them especially if you have to restart and generate a new terrain every time you change a parameter. so i developed a small fractal rendering application to make the job easier. Pretty happy with the result, it sure looks more real then the old landscapes. Still looking for a way to generate more real looking corrosion though.

The fractal for the terrain looks something like this.

The ingame result looks something like this.

dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 02, 2012, 03:58:03 AM »

I just recorded a new Tolroko "gameplay" movie.

Check it out, and write a comment.

The clouds are new btw, using volymetric lit particles..fancy pancy stuff.

Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: December 04, 2012, 01:51:53 AM »

The terrain in the latest screenshot looks great. If you can get the erosion placed realistically it'll be perfect. Also props for using your own engine!
dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 04, 2012, 02:24:19 AM »

Yea  erosion is the tricky bit :S

dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 12, 2012, 02:22:53 PM »

Hello, its time for a new public build. I have tested this for about 2 min, so don't expect it to be very stable ( I noticed the sound system needs some fixes etc )

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3416639/Tolroko-0.25.exe

new stuff:
* better AI
* pirates can use flyers (but they are lousy pilots)
* aim with gun, crouch etc
* clouds
* guns on flyers
* tons of other stuff i have forgotten.

dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 31, 2012, 04:35:53 AM »

Some new stuff:

Added Palaces in the center of each city, atm its an evil sauron tower Wink (i need artists). Theres a special duke guy living there that can give you special city saving quests. The idea is that the player can earn reputation with the city by doing special quests for it. And by doing so earn their trust and eventually be able to influence them to, for example send their army to take another city etc.

Also added a new small one man flyer =D made by an old friend of mine (Magnus Jönsson). Its fun to fly around, it gives you more sense of freedom compared to the bigger ships.

Heres a work in progress particle system for a rocket engine used by the flyers. looks pretty cool but
needs more work to make it look good when you fly at high speed.

oh and  HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! Beer!

dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 11, 2013, 02:35:40 PM »

Hello!!

Finally got around to actually write a decent  renderer for Tolroko/ZeroFps,
its based on the Indexed light deferred lighting algorithm, it resembles ordinary
deferred rendering in some way, but instead of storing all geometry data in a giant
gbuffer, you store which lights affecting each pixel....aaaanyway, heres some
work in progress screenshots.

Each house has a light source in it, its about 250 lighsources on
the screen.

dvoid
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 12, 2013, 03:55:51 AM »

Desert cities looks cozy at night, need to implement INN's where you can spend the night after
a hard days work.

Rusk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 12, 2013, 04:19:06 PM »

It looks great! :D

Is the terrain mipmapped or is it the same detail level as far as you can see? How do I find a forest, or is that not in the available build yet?

You should lock the mouse inside the window somehow... if you turn too far, the cursor exits the window and you lose control. :p

I got 25-35 fps on my pc, a pretty old gaming computer. Core 2 duo 6600 (2.4 GHz) with a GeForce 8800 GTS and 6 GB ram.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic