Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411656 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 06:21:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)What do you make your games with most frequently?
Poll
Question: Which do you use the most?
Unity
Flash
Flash w/ Flixel
Flash w/ Flashpunk
Silverlight
Java
Game Maker
Construct
RPG Maker
Visual Basic
Love
Python
Ruby
C
C++
C#
DarkBasic
PureBasic
QBasic
Blitz Basic/Plus/Max/3D
Delphi
Fortran
Cobalt
Assembly
Other game engine
Other coding language
I make modifications to existing games/engines

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: What do you make your games with most frequently?  (Read 8789 times)
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2010, 05:11:37 PM »

It's what you use most frequently, not everything you use.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2010, 05:28:18 PM »

It's what you use most frequently, not everything you use.

that IS what I use most frequently, the list would be MUCH larger otherwise

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2010, 08:27:56 PM »

Always C++. Currently with SFML for everything.
I've bought two bricks on OpenGL 3.0 and 3.1 and GLSL, but I haven't read too much yet, and it's been a while since I worked with them the last time now. Busy working on a game in SFML.
My goal is to make a custom engine using OpenGL and SDL, eventually.

Overkill
Level 3

Andrew G. Crowell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2010, 09:07:15 PM »

I do backend game engine work with C++, but I write most of my game logic in scripting language frontends, such as Python or Lua. This way I can squeeze the performance out of the things that matter (rendering mostly), and bang out the actual game parts quickly in languages that lend themselves to rapid development. Easy to read, easy to rewrite later, and typically somewhat reusable.

That said, I have no problem coding in C++, but my work-flow often goes several orders of magnitude slower than it'd go with a few scripts, and rewriting old projects tends to always be a moderate undertaking. The main thing for me is really that everything has to have large design assumptions, library dependencies, and ugly workarounds.

I'm not going to yell anyone for using C++, it definitely has its merits, and I still use it! However, I try to avoid writing in it whenever possible, for my own productivity's sake. But do whatever suits you best.

Anyways, who cares. Make games.

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2010, 11:15:46 PM »

Love & flash. Higher languages FTW Big Laff but seriously I need to start getting down and dirty with c++ more often..

Toeofdoom
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2010, 03:58:48 AM »

Mostly C++... I prefer it over java, unity, flash, python and microworlds in most (not all) cases so I only put C++ down.

Jules_K
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2010, 11:25:43 AM »

Some time ago this would've been C++ for me, but I have to say I like Python more and more, especially for prototyping. Lately I also work a lot in Java, mainly because we use it at university almost exclusively...
Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2010, 01:19:13 PM »

Game Maker. Still learning to use it too, so chances are I will be for a while yet.

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
Desert Dog
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2010, 03:45:19 PM »

Game Maker,
and made something with the Flashpunk library.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2010, 11:28:04 AM »

unity and love

and..who put down assembly?
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2010, 03:02:38 PM »

Yours truly. I use Blitz almost all the time, but the language I toy around in the most is assembly. (never done anything close to impressive with it, though. I just find it a refreshing mind exercise to think in an entirely different language.) That's why I frequently write interpreters just for fun - to make a language that's totally useless but utterly different from the norm.

Ack, I should have included BrainFuck in the list. That's probably #3 for me.
Eraser
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2010, 05:23:22 PM »

Currently GM and Pascal for me. I'm sort of interested in learning C++, but I'm on the fence.
Lon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2010, 07:50:36 PM »

I have finished few games. I think I completed 'Rock, Paper, Scissors',  'Tic-Tac-Toe' and 'Go' (though no AI opponent, maybe for next semesters AI class) in my programming classes, all written in Java.

I have experimented and attempted a space shooter and platformer using Processing (Basically Java, but with some extra functions).  I'm thinking Ill right a generic, well designed and organized: FPS, Platformer, ShootEmUp/SpaceShooter, TBS, RPG and RTS as to increase my experiance/skills, and to have some code to start with when designing games. (rather than having to reinvent collision detection every time)

I am also curious about LOVE, SDL (I've been using C++ all semester for my classes), and ZGameEditor.

“We all sorely complain of the shortness of time, and yet have much more than we know what to do with. Our lives are either spent in doing nothing at all, or in doing nothing to the purpose, or in doing nothing that we ought to do..." -Seneca
JamesGecko
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2010, 01:45:27 AM »

I am also curious about LOVE, SDL (I've been using C++ all semester for my classes), and ZGameEditor.
I adore LOVE. Alas, my LUA is quite weak. I wish the library had a Python port.

SDL is neat, but very "do it all yourself." Takes a while to get things rolling.

ZGameEditor is... different. Think demoscene. When I messed around with it, it looked like you created graphics by starting out with a simple 3D geometric shape, then applying a bunch of transforms to it until it actually looked like something. Similar thing with textures; start with some noise, then do a bunch of filters. Really neat; I had a hard time wrapping my head about how bend it to my will.
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2010, 02:48:21 PM »

Currently GM and Pascal for me. I'm sort of interested in learning C++, but I'm on the fence.

C++ will do you solid if you want to make your games cross-platform. It is one of the higher-level languages that has very little problem with cross-platform compatibility. Pretty much everyone supports it. The only real problem with it is all the low-level memory management you will have to learn to keep track of. Personally, I can't stand that stuff.

I've been making my software with Flash / AS3 + Flixel. I had learned some pretty advanced AS3 a year or two ago for my day job, so I was already familiar with how it worked when I stumbled across Flixel. I LOVE Flixel. It has a really solid underlying structure for 2D game development, and tons of documentation and examples.

I drastically prefer Object Oriented langauges (.NET framework, Java) to the more procedural ones. (C, C++) Yes, I know C++ supports OOP, but it's implementation annoys me. I'm actually working on bringing Flixel to C#. (via SDL.NET)
Crimsontide
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2010, 03:18:55 PM »

I use C++ exclusively, with a dabbling of assembly here or there.

I've been working on my own language in the mean-time, but that won't be done for a long time...
Stoney
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2010, 09:18:41 AM »

I use FreePascal and C++ most of the time. (Where it's more like 60% FreePascal, 20% C++ and then other languages.)
Since FreePascal wasn't an option on the list I chose Delphi, becuase of the similarities between those two.

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2010, 10:55:20 AM »

Flash at work, C++ at home.  My Word!

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2010, 12:14:48 PM »

Flash at work, C++ at home.  My Word!
> Flash.
> Work.

Oh, dear. Where?

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2010, 04:24:50 PM »

In a very little company that still have to make a name Wink

(but not indie--it's not interesting for people here)

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic