Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411727 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58455 Members - Latest Member: Sergei

May 22, 2024, 09:47:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Which can make me learn faster? Manual coding or usage of a game making program?
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Which can make me learn faster? Manual coding or usage of a game making program?  (Read 7071 times)
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2010, 03:45:52 PM »

Clean code come with safe design.
or after a cleanup  Panda

You might also want to check out ZGameEditor

thats a great (free) piece of software that i wasn't aware of, thanks!
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2010, 06:23:58 AM »

Clean up = rewrite from scratch Huh? you better release the game as is, no disclosing of the code will protect your shame Wink
The game need to be good not the code.

On topic: i have stumble on this:
http://www.eldergame.com/2010/06/indie-games-prototyping-and-fun-finding/

Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2010, 01:22:00 PM »

Flamebait if I ever saw one Smiley Anywho, we've all argued this before so no need to go down that road again.

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
Trevor Dunbar
Level 10

Working on unannouned fighting game.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2010, 08:22:41 PM »

Clean up = rewrite from scratch Huh? you better release the game as is, no disclosing of the code will protect your shame Wink

On topic: i have stumble on this:
http://www.eldergame.com/2010/06/indie-games-prototyping-and-fun-finding/

Yah because a game is totally awesome if it breaks every 3 seconds then crashes.

Toucantastic.
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2010, 12:16:46 AM »

Clean up = rewrite from scratch
you could/should look into refactoring if rewriting is your definition of cleaning up ....

this book
is the most valuable computer programming book on my shelve, and it's worth its weight in gold!
but i'm feeling your shoutouts aren't meant to be read seriously, right? your just hoping to start an argument or something...
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2010, 06:36:38 AM »

I was very specifics in my claim in my first post:

1. Not a trained coder
2. You do everything
3. Time matter
4. The code work fine and the game does not crash
5. The game matter most for you

I'm right in this case with my current game: I have some familiarity with code but i have no training at all. Refactoring cost time, especially when your code WAS NOT design first. I started with a prototype and end up with a game, everything is global and there is very little encapsulation. I tried to refactor but everything broke and the game crashed, you had to track any single variable, but the code is short and organize enough to keep track of everything for tweak. My conclusion was to get better on the next project but leave this one as is.

I'm not trying to start an argument, I was responding to post like yours to explain why i says that. It's very specifics to one case (ie: no formal code training + time management + alone).

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2010, 04:00:05 PM »

Spontaneous vulnerabilities sounds VERY fun. :D Especially the psychological aspect. I thought of doing something like that once - like making it "impossible" to take a character within range of a fear (and them ALWAYS having one), like spiders, the dark, water, bees, etc.; or at least have them act very different physically when nearby, and have extreme, physical knee-jerk reactions if they took a hit there, or made contact with it for too long.

I also thought of having an ecosystem-like cause-and-effect with the critters, giving them all ways to interact with one another (bees seek flowers, birds chase bees but avoid cats, cats chase birds but avoid dogs, dogs chase cats, etc.); but then that was way beyond what I wanted to do with my project, or at least anything really relevant to it.

(/offtopic)

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2010, 09:53:22 AM »

Yah because a game is totally awesome if it breaks every 3 seconds then crashes.

if the game crashes and breaks every 3 seconds then it's the fault of the game, not the fault of the code. so it'd still fall under 'the game needs to be good, not the code', because you can have clean code that's buggy and crashes and bad code that works perfectly.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic