Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411651 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 10:44:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)flash games on mac
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: flash games on mac  (Read 1913 times)
Sigma
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: June 23, 2010, 10:56:57 PM »

will a flash game developed in windows run on mac?

increpare
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 11:00:35 PM »

yes
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 11:26:57 PM »

Not if you compile it to a Windows executable.

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 12:52:45 AM »

Not if you compile it to a Windows executable.
Although note that Flash CS4 (and presumably CS5) have an option to produce a Mac projector (.app) file when developing on Windows!

(And of course you can always just use the .swf as usual.)

Sigma
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 08:39:47 AM »

i have tested a game which was originally developed in windows in mac and everything was loaded properly but the key ctrls are not detected. so whats the case when it is published on a website?

increpare
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 11:19:35 AM »

i have tested a game which was originally developed in windows in mac and everything was loaded properly but the key ctrls are not detected. so whats the case when it is published on a website?
I don't know.  Anything might happen.  Why don't you try it out?  Or, if you post it here, we can try it out.  It sounds like you're doing something wrong (or, as likely, that there's a bug in flash that you'll have to work around). 

Flash should function the same whatever platform you try it out on (though stand-alone flash projects not embedded in browser windows have access to additional functionaliy), though in practice some issues arise. 
Sam
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 02:06:26 PM »

Curiosity got the best of me.

I don't have a Mac to try things on.  Only thing I immediately notice is that anything involving the Alt key doesn't work, as it passes focus to the menu bar of either the browser or the standalone player.  But I don't think Ctrl has that kind of function on Macs?
PGGB
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 02:11:28 PM »

Interesting, it recognizes cmd and ctrl as the same key.
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 02:16:16 PM »

Yes, the command key on Macs is used the same way as the control key on Windows, so games designed to use the control key on Windows should support the command key on Macs. The flash player for Mac additionally supports the control key the same way it does on Windows, for lack of any other thing the key could be assigned to.
increpare
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 02:30:19 PM »

works fine for me (letter keys, and ctrl) on osx/firefox.
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 04:08:39 PM »

Yes, the Flash player is released on every platform possible. An SWF file produced on a PC should run on a Mac, Linux, and any other platform that has the Flash player installed. You can also compile flash files into executables for each platform. (these executables will be specific to their respective platforms)

Caveat: The Flash player's performance is not the same for all platforms. So if your game is fairly performance intensive, it is quite possible that it won't run as well on some platforms. Generally, the flash player runs much faster and more efficiently on Windows than it does on Mac or Linux. Do not be surprised if your games lag badly on Mac and Linux.
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 04:14:58 PM »

Generally, the flash player runs much faster and more efficiently on Windows than it does on Mac or Linux.

I know this is common wisdom, but I wonder if it's actually still true now that most Macs run on the same kind of architecture as Windows. Has anyone seen any recent benchmarks here?
Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 04:32:37 PM »

Yes, the Flash player is released on every platform possible.

BSD users would like to disagree.

What would John Carmack do?
bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2010, 10:00:17 PM »

I know this is common wisdom, but I wonder if it's actually still true now that most Macs run on the same kind of architecture as Windows. Has anyone seen any recent benchmarks here?

I haven't seen benchmark data for this, but where Linux runs on the same architecture as Windows, Flash still underperforms. (Of course that might be because Adobe don't put much effort into the Linux port.)

PGGB
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2010, 02:50:38 AM »

I haven't seen benchmark data for this, but where Linux runs on the same architecture as Windows, Flash still underperforms. (Of course that might be because Adobe don't put much effort into the Linux port.)

No benchmarks here either, but it is really noticeable with both videos lagging a lot for no apparent reason and non-trivial games being not very enjoyable. Oh that is on the Mac.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic