Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411588 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 10:14:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEthios: Valiant Plume Saga - A 3d Zelda-Like With a Party of Heroes
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 27
Print
Author Topic: Ethios: Valiant Plume Saga - A 3d Zelda-Like With a Party of Heroes  (Read 99459 times)
pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: July 22, 2013, 03:16:23 AM »

If it's just the mouse movement, you can press C to make the camera act like the Zelda camera, no mouse required.
Awesome, thanks. I'll try that.

EDIT: The C button didn't seem to do anything. I'll try a controller.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 03:26:28 AM by johnki » Logged

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 22, 2013, 12:26:02 PM »

Whoops - Wrong button. I got the command that switches the camera between controller and keyboard mode mixed up with the Free Camera button. To use the latter, you need to set up the button in the Input menu when you first start the game. It's under CamMode.
Trettyhan
« Reply #222 on: July 26, 2013, 10:35:22 AM »

Hello again McMutton. A build! Awesome. I tested it, but didn't have the time to give feedback yet.

Can I report the bugs I saw in a video form? Also my opinion/feedback. I think it would be easier to show you. I can put it on my Dropbox account and share the link with you and delete it after you download it.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 10:12:54 PM by Trettyhan » Logged
CobraMode
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 31, 2013, 02:26:22 PM »

This is just great. It makes me really happy to see all of this art. You're doing a great job, and I'm impressed with how you stick with it. I really like seeing how it has improved over time. The character art especially gets better and better.

I'd like to offer some critique, as I feel like I understand some of what jackson31 was getting at. Something I feel, especially in the darker scenes, is that it lacks interesting variety for the eye, giving it a sort of 'dull' feeling. On top of this, the darkness is making your textures less saturated. To combat this, lights can be used, and perhaps you can imply the darkness while introducing a little more light.

A nice example of variety of lighting is Trine. Take a look at some screenshots. Many of those environments look dark, but they make excuses to light them in creative ways, so it's never dull.

Also a great reference, especially for your game, is Wildstar. Check out this picture.
http://www.wildstar-online.com/media/uploads/images/media-screenshot-images/wdstr_screen_025.jpg
Lots of color, and it still feels good while giving a nice dark underground impression.

Another shot from Wildstar.
http://www.wildstar-online.com/media/uploads/images/media-screenshot-images/algoroc21.jpg
This one has some interesting light colored blue fog giving the depth a bit of a glow, as well as breaking up the darkness with interesting glowing pieces.

So my suggestions would be to use more variety of light, even in the darkness, and maybe if you can, try to imply darkness through use of textures, and some colored lights or fog to give the feel of darkness, without losing so much color and variety.

I don't mean to get down on your work, as I really enjoy it. Just a small critique Smiley

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 01, 2013, 06:35:54 AM »

Aye, Tretty; go ahead! I've a Dropbox account tied to [email protected].

Thanks, Cobra! That's all really helpful; I've never actually done environment work before, so I don't mind at all. Thanks for that reference, as well.
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: August 12, 2013, 08:46:24 PM »

New water:

It's using a reflective bumped specular shader, so it looks quite nice in motion.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: August 12, 2013, 09:56:45 PM »

Looks great, but it's very bright compared to the terrain. Which is ok if it's like a magic silver river. Smiley

Purcy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 13, 2013, 05:48:03 AM »

Great work! Went through every page of this thread and the progress was interesting to watch. You definitely improved along the way and the game is shaping up nicely Smiley
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 13, 2013, 02:25:18 PM »

Thanks, guys!

Made the water a bit darker, and did a bit more tweaking:

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #229 on: August 13, 2013, 02:44:52 PM »

Yeah looks great in motion. Do you plan on softening the boundary between water and land? Like in warcraft 3 for example..

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 13, 2013, 03:25:10 PM »

Aye, I'll need to do something like that, though I'm not quite sure what I can do to achieve the effect. A succession of slightly transparent layers, perhaps?
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #231 on: August 13, 2013, 03:31:00 PM »

Yeh that could be the way, the top-most layer could have the reflection term and be transparent. Then two or three layers below, getting more opaque and darker. I've never done it so I'm not sure. Maybe there's a simpler shader-based method?

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 13, 2013, 04:55:27 PM »

Yes there is but like particle he need untity pro, you need depth comparison which are disable in free. The over way is to do a fading with alpha ...

http://http.developer.nvidia.com/GPUGems3/gpugems3_ch19.html
part 19.5

While it's advance you might adapt some tip from there too (not the first part): http://www.fxguide.com/featured/assassins-creed-iii-the-tech-behind-or-beneath-the-action/

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 14, 2013, 07:12:34 PM »

Well, I hope to get Pro eventually, so I can mess with that stuff then; Should be grand.

For now, I'm doing a bit of work on a trailer. Here's a snippet:
Sam English
« Reply #234 on: October 15, 2013, 05:51:23 AM »

LOVE IT!
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 29, 2013, 03:53:02 PM »

First trailer I've done:

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #236 on: October 29, 2013, 04:27:49 PM »

I like it, good job Smiley

BTW I've seen a really similar in looks game to yours among the IGF entries, but it was a music game. Can't find it now tho  Undecided

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 26, 2013, 02:27:49 AM »

Thanks, man! Was the entry Dungeon Hearts, perhaps?

Made this guy:

And am currently working on his tavern, the Brazen Well:

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #238 on: November 26, 2013, 07:05:26 AM »

Thanks, man! Was the entry Dungeon Hearts, perhaps?

Made this guy:

And am currently working on his tavern, the Brazen Well:

Yes, yes it was. Did you participate in making it too?

BTW I am not quite sure about this white apron on the bar keeper, especially the color I guess.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 26, 2013, 07:44:31 AM »

dungeon heart is a tigger's game and you could some wip in the 3D thread Tongue

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 27
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic