Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411582 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 01:43:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsInfinite Odyssey
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Infinite Odyssey  (Read 3390 times)
Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2017, 02:41:11 PM »

Well I can tell you, you have a great system. It would definitely be worth your time to play Persona 5 (which just came out recently). But honestly, you could just continue as you are and I think it would turn out really well.

To boil down the Persona system - it's really pretty much what you described. You can spend time with various characters to enhance your bond with them; along the way, you end up getting into that characters backstory, problems, etc, with various smaller and bigger plot points along the way. You gain various bonuses as you progress in ranks, and the top rank (10) completes the bond, giving various rewards.

Actually though, your system improves upon that - because really the only "branch" you have in any storylines are to decide whether to follow the romance or friendship option with certain potential partners. And those differences are always just cosmetic - no real impact on the rewards you receive, or the overall storyline, etc.

I appreciate your approach toward the characters - it's much needed.  Beer!

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
EdenAeternum
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2017, 04:56:17 PM »

Well it's always good to know I'm at least headed down the right track!  Beer! If I have a bit of extra time I may peek down the Persona route to give it a whirl. I don't have any plans at the moment to go down a romance option with any of the NPCs, but I know we're planning to continue supporting the game post launch so we'll be adding additional features down the road as we go. I'm dumping all the eggs into the basket so hopefully by the end of this journey, we'll have something spectacular and full of charm.

I greatly appreciate your kind words and support, in addition to the others who read along! It's so easy to get caught up in everything that it's revitalizing to remember people are following along and they're full of their own excitement.
EdenAeternum
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2017, 06:23:53 PM »

Just finished the rough draft on one of the story arcs. I won't ruin any major surprises so I'll only post the first half. Friendship ranks go up to fifteen so this gives a general flow of some of the dialogue and how personal stories branch into their different paths. I posted up until the choice to branch in a direction, but I won't post the resolves for the different choices and how they'll change the aspects of the game. Wilhelm is tied into the very beginning as your caravan leader as you go through the brief tutorial. The player is encapsuled within the mists for fifty three years to emerge as though not a day has gone by, though Wilhelm is now an old man as he lived every day while you were preserved within time and space. Wilhelm continued on to become the mayor of Valorfel, one of the human outposts. (It is worth noting Valorfel is the default name of the town. It ties into the lore I built up for the game with all of the events leading up to the character's present date. You can be a dick and change it but know I will personally hold a grudge and consider you my nemesis! ...Don't worry, it doesn't take up much of your time.)

Minor Spoilers Below! Read at your own risk.

Wilhelm Story Arc

[Friendship Rank 2]
   [Condition: Enter Wilhelm’s screen after 6pm]
[Wilhelm]
“It’s dangerous to go out at night but that wouldn’t stop you, would it? Since you’re out, unless you’ve somewhere to be I wouldn’t mind the company. Think of it just like old times, eh?”
[Player approaches Wilhelm by the fire]
“I cannot believe after all these years you have barely aged a day since we first set out for Valorfel. The town has fallen twice, I have loved and lost—but you’re as youthful now as I was back then. You look good for someone well beyond their fifties. *chuckles* I can only imagine everything going on in your head; to wake up fifty-three years in the future and to lack even an understanding of why.”
[Wilhelm sips his drink]
“Do you miss anything from the past?”
[1] I miss my family.
   [Wilhelm] I’m sorry about that, I know it must be difficult. For what it’s worth, they may still be out there if you ever decide to go looking for them. Family—family is important. When they’re gone, they’re gone. You’ll only have those memories to hold on to.
[2] I miss my friends.
   [Wilhelm] Aye. There’s little in this world that can rival the bond of a true friendship. For what it’s worth, I’m sure they never forgot you. I know a few of us were looking for you for quite some time. What I don’t understand is we checked that cave several times, yet that was where you awakened. They’re not the same as the others you used to know, but I know in time you will make strong bonds with those living here. They’re lucky to have you.
[3] I miss all the memories I never had the chance to have.
   [Wilhelm] That’s a fair assessment, but it’s a lateral thought. For every opportunity you missed, another will open itself to you. While you can’t replace the time you lost with your old life, you have a second chance for a new life. You can change the things you desire most. I’m not saying to forget everything from before, just don’t forget everything you’ve yet to enjoy.
[4] It’s better to leave it in the past.
   [Wilhelm] Part of me is glad to hear you say that, though I am a touch concerned. The past has a way of resonating into your future… I’m glad to see you’re adjusting with everything that has happened to you, just don’t be afraid to remember who you are. I cannot say whether Destiny exists or not, I believe you have something special in store for you.
[End Branching]
[Wilhelm sips from his drink again]
“Listen, [playerName]. The house you’re in now—the former tenant—She—
…Y’know, I think we’ll save that for another time. I’ve already kept you long enough. Thanks for hearing an old man ramble on. When I look at you, I remember those days long ago. I remember those days you first enlisted into my caravan. It’s nice feeling young, even at my age. I don’t know that I would change much about my life, with few exceptions. I hope you grow to feel the same.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 04:21:53 PM by EdenAeternum » Logged
Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2017, 09:21:56 AM »

Wow. Reading over the dialogue options and responses for the Rank 2 event, the writing you have is already very clear and insightful. I wouldn't have expected this level of polish/power in the dialogue at this stage, but I already feel compelled to know more about the characters, the story, etc. The dialogue feels genuine and heartfelt.

I don't want to belabor it, but I think you've really got something here.

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
EdenAeternum
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2017, 04:22:10 PM »

[Friendship Rank 5]
   [Condition: Approach Virah’s grave while Wilhelm is visiting.]
[Wilhelm] End Branching]
She was an incredibly kind woman, and she loved to watch her plants grow. It brought her such joy, and I think you possess the same knack for farming that she had. When she died during the cataclysm, I couldn't bear to look at our house again. She was going to be my wife, and when she was taken from me I never regained that light. She would be furious with me for letting myself become this way. It was no coincidence that you were to be put up in that house. You have that same light about you that she had-- that same look of determination within your eyes. It's almost as if destiny had chosen you specifically, and although you never knew her, I think she would be proud of you. I want you to have something-- something of hers. I haven't been able to make it in the years since her passing, but you… she would be honored for you to have this. This is the least that I could do considering all that you have done for us. [playerName], thank you. Thank you for everything. And thank you, for breathing a little more life in this old man.
EdenAeternum
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2017, 04:36:54 PM »

Soooooo, no clue why but the format is messing with the text logs showing the character dialogues. I just noticed several are spliced together making little sense and desecrating full paragraphs. Bear with me as I try to figure this out because it looks fine in the previews then goes to crap after posting. In the mean time, while I try to figure this out I have something else for you. I'm trying to post a lot this week to make up for my absence and to remind you things are still progressing!

I want to go over the building aspect a little bit here as there's two different forms of building. You have item creation, and then you have structure creation. In town, there is a carpenter named Flynt. Flynt sells recipes but he also creates the larger objects for your estate. If you want to upgrade your house, build a stable, or any other structure, that's your guy! Just be sure to catch him during his business hours, he does try to have a life as well you know! When you build structures, you first choose the plot to set it on, and then starting the next morning Flynt will spend the duration of time to finish building it. That's right, he will work through day and night without sleep to build your precious piece. While he's building it, the object will actually change as it's being built in phases. Most structures will go through 4 phases. A quarter piece, a half piece, and a three quarter piece, with the last phase being the finished project. Here's an example of what that looks like.

Some objects will just take a few hours, others could take a day or two depending on what you're building. Flynt also sells some crafting recipes for furniture that you yourself craft. Inventory crafting does NOT go through phases. It's a much more simple "click and go." It's a very time consuming feature as I'll have to draw several images for each structure but I think it's an enjoyable aspect and it adds a little more fun to watching your estate grow.
EdenAeternum
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2017, 06:05:01 PM »

Another week has come and gone but progress has been well on its way. I managed to crunch a lot of numbers to work out how certain drop rates are affected, in addition to some planning on how the animals and farm raising will work out. There's a lot down that rate I'm still sorting so that'll be something to cover down the road. In addition to those, I've dedicated some time this week to crops and textures. I've learned a few things this week. For starters, with crops I have had to abandon a lot of my old teachings. In pixel art, high saturation is typically shunned and regarded as a "rookie" error. However, with small details, thats the best way to make certain crops stand out. Here's a couple images of the "loot ready" phase for some of the crops.

We've got turnips, beets, a tomato plant, potatoes, a pumpkin, a watermelon, leeks, grapes, broccoli-- you get the gist. This is probably about a good quarter mark of what'll be in the game. I've been doing a lot of research on the plants to get good seasonal and growth data to try and get some ratios drawn out.

With that mentioned, here's the bridge leading into your town! I'm not going to ruin things for you, but keep a watch on structures as time passes in the game. Objects that were blocking the route at the beginning will open up in time or as conditions are met. Areas you passed in the beginning may have hidden routes as time wears things down.
EdenAeternum
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2017, 05:00:15 PM »

Just a short update before I start moving into bigger pieces and completing older ones (thinking about the crafting interface table). This week I've been working on interface design structure. Above is an example of the date and time as well as the icons from dawn to daylight and the calendar date change. Mind you, this was just a demo to check the animations and make sure everything is working! Daylight does not start at 12 and the calendar would change at 12 am versus 12 pm. If you have forgotten from previous posts, I am using neither: a traditional seven day week, nor the regular names (Monday, Tuesday, etc). Begyndan translates to "Day beginning" "Middan" translates to "Middle Day" and Endan translates to "End day" but I think you catch the drift. Also subtle mention, the calendar color (green in this case) is different for each season.

I also have a little interface work here for the cooking menu. Just as crafting gets the little work bench display, I felt cooking needed a little something itself.

Instead of just the names I want to make a restaurant style menu that organizes cooking foods into "Appetizers", "Drinks", "Entrees", and "Desserts". I'm organizing and planning various recipes so I'm still playing with sizes and dimensions to get the right feel. That's it this week. Like I said, I was keeping it short this week. It'll take some time to get the remaining interface pieces completed but at least I'm juggling classes and drawing like a sir  Gentleman
EdenAeternum
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2017, 05:05:08 PM »

It's not enough to carry a weapon on hand, or swing with valor. A survivor will need to know their opponents well, and they'll need to know how to live off the land and scavenge for resources.

Sharklets may look adorable, but the energy from the rift has morphed their genetics and they no longer survive only in water. Up close they attack swiftly with powerful jaws. Try to flee and they will belly slide after you with great tenacity.

Despite a derpy appearance, the Shamaleon has a variety of defense mechanisms. From afar it belches poisonous bubbles. Up close, it attacks with a spiked horn and a tail lash.

Slimes have adapted to using camouflage. They disguise themselves as plants or rocks until their prey gets nearby. Use caution when traveling in lush areas, as they pull the leaves inside and immediately attack.

Deadwood's are a multi threat enemy. Get up close and they will hammer into the ground, destroying targets in close proximity. From afar they cast nature magic, and can snare their prey.

There are a variety of rumors circulating the Knobolds. They travel in groups, each wearing a different rank of masks. Where you find one, more or surely nearby. They attack up close, with range, or with magic. There is safety in numbers and they will surely outnumber you.

Knowledge is part of the battle, but it is not all of it. You will need to live off the land. Most everyone uses water buckets or watering cans to maintain their crops, but for some reason you are attuned to the Mists Shard. It has unlimited watering capacity, and can be enhanced to water larger fields. Don't mind the face the cloud makes when summoned. It always feels better after "draining the tank."

When all of these options have been utilized, be sure to gather resources to hold one last advantage. Every so often Seed and Feed sends packages airmail to customers in other towns. Every so often one of those packages floats over town. Perhaps befriending someone will lead to the ability to "borrow" a few of those packages. It is life and death afterall.

Setting this information aside, I wanted to create enemy models that were familiar, and some that are my own. I've grown quite tired of the same slime, rat, bat, skeleton, etc models. This is a fantasy world. It should be fun, exotic, and different. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with sticking to archetypes, I'm just saying I'm tired of the usual archetypes and it's more rewarding to give new mechanics to old faces.

The watering can method has been used in several games. I don't want to be a knockoff of another game, so I want to switch the animations up a bit too. I originally wanted to do aquatic spirit animals like a sea turtle spirit,or a manta ray spirit but it just didnt fit. Too many details into too small of an area made it illegible. It dawned on me, why shouldn't the player have special abilities? They're linked to the mists afterall.

Last I wanted to bring some of the fun and excitement inspired from Animal Crossing: The balloon packages. Seeing those sailing over my town always excited me and gave me adrenaline. I never knew what would be inside until they ruined it with crap balloon furniture. One of the NPCs has a backstory involving the Seed and Feed company. Befriending them will give you beneficial information to the ins and outs of some of their operations.
Josh Bossie
Level 3

Fly Safe, Pup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2017, 05:55:38 PM »

Love the style of your devlogs, and the art is very cute!

EdenAeternum
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2017, 06:08:17 PM »

Thanks! Always appreciate having fans and kind words of encouragement Smiley I've seen your stuff before. You post on Gamedev as well right? Your project reminds me of Earthbound in so many great ways.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic