Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411673 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 17, 2024, 04:35:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralIndie games on newly announced DS!?! (DSi)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Indie games on newly announced DS!?! (DSi)  (Read 4191 times)
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2008, 09:29:29 PM »

http://kotaku.com/5057870/nintendo-announce-new-ds-the-nintendo-dsi

OK, so a new DS has been announced, and there's one big thing that's got me interested: the DSi has an SD card slot so they're creating "DSiWare", and one of the prices is "free".  None of the other standard prices are over 800 points, so they seem to be trying to keep things cheap as well.

Now, I don't know any companies that go around giving away games for free, so I wonder why they would create a "free" category if they didn't want to open it up to some indie development (the only people willing to give away games for free).

I find it all quite interesting, as this could end up legitimizing DS homebrew, instead of it being pseudo-criminal due to it's use of unofficial flash drives.

The official inclusion of a flash drive may also pave the way for GM on the DS; YoYo has explicitly mentioned that this is something they want to happen, but have been very coy when it comes to their discussions with Nintendo.  Maybe that's the connection with the "free" price (although I doubt that GM is popular in Japan, and the DSi is coming out there first on November 1st).
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 09:58:45 PM »

Now, I don't know any companies that go around giving away games for free, so I wonder why they would create a "free" category if they didn't want to open it up to some indie development (the only people willing to give away games for free).

I imagine the free games will be demos and advergames. Sadly. Nintendo tend to hold their SDKs pretty tightly.

It's pretty cool though.
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 10:07:37 PM »

You're probably right.

I don't think we should discount the YoYo thing just yet though.  They seemed very head strong about it whenever they posted that idea on their company blog (and they did mention it numerous times).  This integrated SD card may actually make it a possibility, as I don't think there was any reasonable way to transfer games onto your DS with the old model.
Biggerfish
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 11:40:48 PM »

If it were possible, it would be great to see what you could do with the camera (if they make interaction with it possible).

But I really don't understand why you need 2 cameras.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 12:05:06 AM »

...what's with the little i on the end? I hate lowercase i's in products.

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 12:07:43 AM »

I doubt that there will be free downloadable homebrew just like that. I want someone to crack the firmware through the SD port or something, like they did with the PSP, though; no extra hardware for homebrew would be awesome.

And... Two cameras? Are you sure, Biggerfish?

Xion, it's probably for 'eye'.

Biggerfish
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 12:15:13 AM »

According to dsfanboy

Comes with an external 0.3 Megapixel camera (for 640 x 480 pixel pictures) and a VGA camera located on the hinge, directed towards the user. You'll be able to edit pictures using the touchscreen.

And looking at the pictures, one facing out, one facing in (maybe there will be webcam like features, who knows?).

I've been thinking about getting a DS for a while and was waiting for something like this in case I bought it just as a new model came out, but it's $50 more and I don't really know if it's going to be worth buying this over a DS Lite.
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 12:30:14 AM »

Please tell me the store games will work on my old non-lite DS. Or that they're coming out with a GBA->SD adapter. Lips Sealed

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 01:36:47 AM »

Please tell me the store games will work on my old non-lite DS. Or that they're coming out with a GBA->SD adapter. Lips Sealed
I guess it depends - if they rely on the GBA slot you're fucked. If they take advantage of the new features you're probably also fucked. Do your GBA games with in your Game Boy?

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 04:32:18 AM »

I'll prolly get this eventually, mostly due to the store, but I'll keep my lite for gba games.

Hinchy
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 05:30:39 AM »

it looks honestly like this is more of a Game Boy to Game Boy Color transition - my guess is that some games will be coming out with both DS compatibility but enhanced DSi features, and only eventually will there be DSi-only games.
laserghost
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 10:03:52 AM »

GM games for DS would be sweet. I really hope they actually do something like that.

Man, that camera is going to make Pictochat even scarier.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 12:20:28 PM »

GM games for DS would be sweet. I really hope they actually do something like that.

Man, that camera is going to make Pictochat even scarier.
Then I could simply trace a picture of my penis instead of a crudely drawn one.

You know that's all anyone uses it for.

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2008, 01:53:35 AM »

With the thinnest pen.

Dim_Yimma_H
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2008, 05:16:17 AM »

Yeah it would be awesome if GBA games could be transferred to it, since using the cartridges won't be possible. It's becoming a waste to have several generations of consoles only to be able to play old games.

...At least I like to play games older than 5 years Smiley

If it were possible, it would be great to see what you could do with the camera (if they make interaction with it possible).

I come to think of Perfect Dark, which was intended to allow Game Boy Camera pictures mapped on the player characters' heads, but they never included the feature.

Something like that might be cool.

But I really don't understand why you need 2 cameras.

Maybe it's a parody on DVD players, of which each person owns about 3 different ones.

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2008, 12:24:37 AM »

Hopefully they don't phase out DS games with DSi only games, that would be harsh.

I seriously doubt that will happen. This seems to be just an upgrade as was the case with the DS to DS lite transition. Obviously there will be games that utilize the camera so would be DSi exclusive but other then that I don't think that Nintendo will shot themselves in the foot by forcing existing DS owners to grab one of these because of the inability to play new games. Who knows though Nintendo does make some strange business decisions sometimes. I just wish they would have eliminated the damn gap between the screens and made the screens much bigger then they did. I could really care less about the camera though...

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Tobasco Panda
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2008, 09:37:41 AM »

I imagine the free games will be demos and advergames. Sadly. Nintendo tend to hold their SDKs pretty tightly.

It's pretty cool though.

God... unfortunately cause the DS Nitro tools are pretty goddamn amazing. When I got a chance to use them on a project a couple years back they blew my mind.  There is a whole other level of sprite development that sprite based PC games never touch, which is memory packing. If they do get to that point maybe I (or someone else) will do a thread on how to do so if applicable.

And yes it is two cameras...

I'm picturing a game kind of like the Eye of Judgement, but where you can look through the DS at cards to see the creatures above them. Basically take a snapshot, then figure out the angle of the cards and render the creatures above them, then print to screen.
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2008, 05:21:10 PM »

Well, know that it's possible to do Head Tracking with just a web cam/camera, maybe there will be some crazy Head Tracking games for the DSi (probably not, as there aren't even any for other consoles, even though a Head Tracking game would sell incredibly well due to the "cool" factor involved; HD Rez with Head Tracking on PS3 is what I desperately want).
Biggerfish
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2008, 01:31:43 AM »

Moving your head while trying to play DS sounds very hard.

Or that they're coming out with a GBA->SD adapter.
I would think they'd just have you re-buy the GBA games through the online store or just ignore them, while it may be a kick in the face for some, it does mean access to games you might never have gotten for others. But I honestly have no clue whatsoever.

Also, Japan release is tomorrow/next few hours I think, so maybe we'll hear some more detailed news about it then?
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2008, 12:34:01 PM »

Moving your head while trying to play DS sounds very hard.
I think you're missing the point of why head tracking is awesome: you don't use it to make games that require you to move your head, you use it so that games always show you the proper perspective, thus making the space appear 3D.  For a full 3D effect, both head tracking and 3D glasses have to be used, but head tracking alone (to take into account your head's relative position to the screen and maintain perfect perspective) is quite impressive and immersive.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic