Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411572 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 09:47:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat are you playing?
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 486
Print
Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 904758 times)
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5960 on: October 06, 2014, 10:30:13 AM »

Got back into Drox Operative.
Its like Diablo, but you play inside 4x strategy game.
Last game I lost all but one organic races to robo nazis, including my own dragon people. I waged war on those suckers. When game declared fear victory, I decided to stay in sector and hunt every last one of them. That was really satisfiing
jtfjtfjtf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5961 on: October 06, 2014, 11:16:24 AM »

Playing Star Command for ios. It's very short.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5962 on: October 06, 2014, 11:51:44 AM »

batman arkum asylum. Pretty good but I'm not sure if the combat is as amazing as everyone says, I'm still really early in the game so maybe it will evolve.

the combat mainly "feels good", it's not actually mechanically that great. same for the stealth. welp what i DO like about the stealth is that they found a way to NOT make stealth sections a total show stopper, as they are in most action games.

but tbh how much you're going to enjoy arkham asylum hinges pretty much 99% on how much you like the idea of playing as batman and doing batman stuff.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5963 on: October 06, 2014, 01:41:52 PM »

I felt like the combat shined best in challenge mode where it was more of an arcade game for a high score than a survival challenge. Combat in the campaign was just sort of flavor, not an actual obstacle. It begged replayability in a way like Flappy Bird.

CA has is exactly right that the stealth sections are more about pretending to be Batman than being particularly difficult. Even in Arkham City (which has harder stealth segments) the story mode stealth sections are more fun diversions than actual challenges. It's in the challenge mode that they actually get hard with all sorts of bonus restrictions. When you do the stealth sections, you get the most out of them if you try to do a wide variety of takedowns with gadgets and the environment and have fun watching the reactions of the bad guys as you whittle down their ranks.

I really enjoyed getting all the medals on the challenge mode stealth segments, and was glad they split them into a different mode rather than trying to make them harder in the story mode. They put a lot of effort into making a variety of take downs and ways the bad guys will react, and challenge mode shows you all those possibilities by making them objectives.

Final Fantasy Theatrhythm is pretty fun, though it has a really open style to it that's a bit disorienting at first. There's a whole gimmick where you equip your party with abilities and items to help you survive the different songs or earn more items to unlock more abilities. Most of the abilities are used in the Chaos Shrine, which randomly strings together two songs and you can unlock new characters by completing the stages with the right stats to reach and defeat bosses (who have randomly generated drop tables). Other than unlocking the characters, getting high scores and finding trophies, the game doesn't have much structure. The credit roll can be achieved without clearing all the basic songs, and after that it's pretty much up to you to decide how to play. You can even skip the whole RPG gimmick and still get perfect scores on every song if the unlockable characters don't matter to you.

I also kind of like the cutesy art style. It really suits the game well, and is a great way to bridge the gap between the different games.

Kind of disappointed that the game has almost as many songs as DLC as it has in-game, though, but on the other hand they mostly suck.

It's really fun to pick up and play a few songs and then put it down and forget it.
Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5964 on: October 06, 2014, 11:53:16 PM »

Been playing Smash Bros mainly now. I'm nowhere near as good on the 3DS as I was on a Gamecube controller, I think the main problem is pulling off the quick smash attacks now that there isn't a C-stick.

Smash run is fun, but the enemy layout seems to be completely random and has no proper buildup in difficulty, so you can get stuck in place like the hotplates while a large powerful enemy just stun locks you.
I really like the variety of end games for smash run, the warp star one is too easy though since the AI still doesn't know how to steer them.

Conker534
« Reply #5965 on: October 07, 2014, 07:51:23 AM »

smash 4 is so fucking weird for me.

i play a shit ton of melee, and if you know anything about that game its really really fast. ive mained fox since a little shit and i was really upset that the new fox is just bad. i played shiek for a while in the new smash and hes (she?) is okay, but bowser is my dude now. ive lost like 4/80 fights as bowser, i really love his play style.

its hard to move on from fox but if i want to get into this game at a deeper level i guess i have to. Sad
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #5966 on: October 07, 2014, 07:56:06 AM »

Final destination, no items, fox only ... that's why he has been nerf, now kill me

Conker534
« Reply #5967 on: October 07, 2014, 08:00:42 AM »

nah marth and shiek and falco are just is good as him

idk i feel disrespected by nintendo as a fox main, but i will admit the meta should be a lot more interesting without fox as a top tier forcing everyone else to play fast characters

shiek and zero suit samus may force that kinda meta though
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5968 on: October 07, 2014, 10:51:38 AM »

Really enjoying the new Smash Bros.

Nintendo/Namco did a great job with the new characters, they are all very unique with very distinct play styles. Been playing mostly with Rosalina and Duck Hunt and enjoying even the for Glory mode with no items and final destination only which I usually don't like.

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5969 on: October 07, 2014, 11:18:06 AM »

hey guys
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5970 on: October 07, 2014, 11:18:58 AM »

have you heard of that weird artsy first person game where dude recorded his dreams?
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5971 on: October 07, 2014, 11:20:15 AM »

It was CS: Zombies all along
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5972 on: October 07, 2014, 12:15:12 PM »

Unfortunately, with all my backlog to pick from, for some reason I couldn't help but go with Skyrim.

...The opening sequence was excruciatingly poor.

olücæbelel
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5973 on: October 07, 2014, 12:28:03 PM »

It is, Extra Credits even used as an exemple of a bad opening sequence:

but the rest of the game is good... full of bugs but good.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5974 on: October 07, 2014, 02:37:33 PM »

batman arkum asylum. Pretty good but I'm not sure if the combat is as amazing as everyone says, I'm still really early in the game so maybe it will evolve.

the combat mainly "feels good", it's not actually mechanically that great. same for the stealth. welp what i DO like about the stealth is that they found a way to NOT make stealth sections a total show stopper, as they are in most action games.

but tbh how much you're going to enjoy arkham asylum hinges pretty much 99% on how much you like the idea of playing as batman and doing batman stuff.

yeah I'm not a big batman guy. I was warned about those stealth sections too.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5975 on: October 07, 2014, 02:42:26 PM »

yeah I'm not a big batman guy. I was warned about those stealth sections too.

ya i'm not either, so i was lukewarm about the game (even tho i enjoyed and finished it). but i could totally see how it would be a batman fan's dream game. i mean, as a fan of spaghetti westerns i kinda feel the same way about red dead redemption haha.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #5976 on: October 07, 2014, 03:02:49 PM »

I'm mild batmlan fan and I'm amazed how the game feel like you are batman, I like teh combat in the demo but for some reason the final games seems a bit more clunky, aslo detective mode is a jokes, they also put to good use idea from "art games" walking sims, the part about the dead parents (even though I hope it becames way more sophisticate in future games in general, we need to get past walkin sim), Haven't play city (but own it since eons).

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5977 on: October 07, 2014, 04:30:26 PM »

Unfortunately, with all my backlog to pick from, for some reason I couldn't help but go with Skyrim.

...The opening sequence was excruciatingly poor.

It gets better. Personally I didn't mind the long wagon ride, but I sure could have done without seeing the guy beheaded right in front of me...

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5978 on: October 07, 2014, 07:06:44 PM »

I'm mild batmlan fan and I'm amazed how the game feel like you are batman, I like teh combat in the demo but for some reason the final games seems a bit more clunky, aslo detective mode is a jokes, they also put to good use idea from "art games" walking sims, the part about the dead parents (even though I hope it becames way more sophisticate in future games in general, we need to get past walkin sim), Haven't play city (but own it since eons).

AAA games have been advancing "Walking Sims" for ages. Metal Gear Solid's use of non-combat interactive scenes drove much of its success, and the much beloved Portal uses it in great degree (inspired heavily by similar segments in Half Life 1 & 2). Bioshock did it too, in all three games (Bioshock 2 served as inspiration for Gone Home).

Arkham Asylum did it well (I particularly like the bits where you enter locked locations and get laughed off by the guards, only to sneak up on them later while they're gloating) but the parents scene didn't do anything that hadn't been done previously. Eternal Darkness did the hallucination thing better a console generation ago, for example.

Did you feel Asylum did something unique there?

Skip Arkham City if Asylum didn't thrill you. I felt like it was more or less the same - the better stealth segments and the fun boss fights (Mr. Freeze) are balanced by a boring overworld and some really awful sidequests that end on cliffhangers. Those cliffhanger sidequests were especially dreadful.
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #5979 on: October 07, 2014, 07:45:48 PM »

Arkham City has probably the most aggressively dumb story that I have encountered in a videogame since 1992.

I just played through Shadows of Mordor.  It's half Arkham fill-in-the-blank, half Assassins Creed.  The Nemesis system is a neat introduction of procedural narrative into an authored AAA game, but it's still pretty light weight.  The most interesting component of it is their art system/record keeping.  There was one guy that kept hunting me down and our history was:
-He was a random grunt that killed me
-I killed him
-He came back to life and killed me again
-I burnt him alive, and killed him
-He came back to life and killed me again, this time with horrible scars
-I killed him again
-He came back to life, with burn scars, a hook for a hand, and a bag over his head to cover up his deformities.  At this point I gave up trying to kill him

Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 486
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic