Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 15, 2024, 02:49:33 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioBest tracker?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Best tracker?  (Read 5140 times)
s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« on: May 21, 2012, 09:03:29 PM »

Does anyone have a favorite tracker software? I have tried a bunch and so far my favorite is renoise, I am looking for a tracker with an emphasis on modern features and ease of use. Any recommendations?

Think happy thoughts.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 09:14:45 PM »

Does anyone have a favorite tracker software? I have tried a bunch and so far my favorite is renoise, I am looking for a tracker with an emphasis on modern features and ease of use. Any recommendations?

Isn't Renoise just that? I don't know what you mean with "ease of use". If you are finding trackers in general hard to use, then you should switch to other type of DAW's. But from trackers, I would say that Renoise and Jeskola Buzz are the easiest together with most features.

s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 09:22:32 PM »

Thank you, renoise fits all those requirements, true, but I just want to see if there are any I hadn't heard about, for example I hadn't heard of buzz till just now

Think happy thoughts.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 05:55:38 AM »

Buzz is nice, and it is different than Renoise. But easier? Hard to comment on that :D But I know that at least both have pretty much the same features, but Renoise is much more stable as a software.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 06:02:59 AM »

last time I tried (long ago) buzzmachines was way to buggy.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 06:04:34 AM »

last time I tried (long ago) buzzmachines was way to buggy.

Yes it is completely a matter of chance how you get it running. I have been lucky...

pgil
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 02:27:20 PM »

I used Buzz for a few years, but after getting a new computer, I couldn't get any of my old songs to work. 

Renoise is excellent, though.  Best interface of any tracker I've used. 
tipp
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 03:46:48 PM »

milkytrackermilkytrackermilkytracker

s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 10:45:55 PM »

milkytrackermilkytrackermilkytracker

looked it up, it's pretty sweet  Smiley

Think happy thoughts.
trq
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 03:38:57 AM »

I'm using Bero Tracker Classic, because it has piano roll.
For me, value of trackers is not their interface and way you work with it, but their file format.
Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 02:58:02 PM »

I've used Skale Tracker for many years but am beginning to suspect that it is a piece of junk (or more accurately, a good but incomplete program for which support has been abandoned). Still, i have fallen hard for it, in a Stockholm Syndrome sort of way. I tried hard to like Buzz, but i think it's kind of not a very intuitive or fun design for a music program at all - at least, if you try to use it like a tracker it isn't. I think there might be other ways to use it that would be alright. I really need to try Milky Tracker and Renoise...

retrohelix
Level 1

Hip hop array

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 05:30:07 PM »

I have been toying around with SunVox today... it's effin' beautiful.
Benjamus_Prime
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 05:46:07 PM »

Milky Tracker is really good. I use Mad Tracker now though, it's pretty much everything I liked about Milky Tracker plus a lot of options to get a more modern sound. I haven't tried a whole lot of trackers but Mad Tracker has sustained me perfectly for years now.
noah!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 06:48:55 PM »

Heh, I remember buying SunVox when it used to cost money...could never get into it though... It's the same with Klystrack, which I really want to like, but just can't. I think it's because it exists in that weird gray area where there are not enough limitations to enforce creativity at the micro level, but not enough freedom to let me do whatever at the macro level.

Or maybe it's because I can barely remember the shortcuts and effect commands for even my main tracker...
s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2012, 10:25:09 PM »

Downloaded the pc one and bought the android version, it is exactly what I am looking for, I love pretty much everything about it. I have found my tracker  Beer!

Think happy thoughts.
retrohelix
Level 1

Hip hop array

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2012, 07:26:52 AM »

Heh, I remember buying SunVox when it used to cost money...could never get into it though... It's the same with Klystrack, which I really want to like, but just can't. I think it's because it exists in that weird gray area where there are not enough limitations to enforce creativity at the micro level, but not enough freedom to let me do whatever at the macro level.

Or maybe it's because I can barely remember the shortcuts and effect commands for even my main tracker...

I know what you mean, things like Famitracker force you to experiment and see what you can do with a limited number of channels and you really have to work to get the best sounds out of the chipset whereas in SunVox, everything is pretty much there. I mostly play instruments, but I am interested in and have a vague knowledge of sound synthesis - SunVox takes the appeal of a tracker and makes it easier to put your ideas into the program, something I've tried with other trackers but so far I have been unable to. 

Downloaded the pc one and bought the android version, it is exactly what I am looking for, I love pretty much everything about it. I have found my tracker  Beer!

I believe SolarLune from this forum has some SunVox tutorials on YouTube, I would check them out!
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2012, 11:17:21 AM »

Comparing trackers is futile unless we decide what features we want from tracker. Trivial things like midi and VST support make quite huge difference.

berniek
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2012, 01:21:01 PM »

It's strange noone said OpenMPT. It's the definitive tracker of this age, like Protracker was on Amiga.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2012, 02:25:24 PM »

It's strange noone said OpenMPT. It's the definitive tracker of this age, like Protracker was on Amiga.

Seconding this, it's also very easy to use and supports VSTs.
s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2012, 02:03:13 PM »

Looked up the  solarlune tuts, quite informative

Think happy thoughts.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic