Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411656 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 02:52:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioRecognisable melody for your game or not?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Recognisable melody for your game or not?  (Read 1046 times)
petertos
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« on: June 21, 2012, 08:40:18 AM »

Hi all,  Cheesy  Cool  Waaagh!  Noir  Hand Any Key

I was wondering what kind of music you prefer for your games: recognisable melodies or ambient (without melody or weak one) songs.

Im a game developer and composer and I'm always struggling to make a strong recognisable melody but it might not be the current standard... That's why I ask here. What do you think? Do you have any advise on this? The truth is that games like Mario Bros or Monkey Island or many others rely on a beautiful, memorable melody that helps the game (in my opinion).

Comments are open...

Petertos

PS: If you want to check out some of my free music for games, please go to http://www.pedroalonsopablos.com/en/free-music/

Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 08:41:06 AM »

Depends on the game and situation.

petertos
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 08:47:19 AM »

LOL. If there is anybody who wants to explain that short answer above...  Wizard  Shrug

HernanZh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 09:25:23 AM »

I think if you have a game with a lot of action, you should go for recognisable, if it's not (for example if the game is more about exploration) ambient is better.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 11:28:45 AM »

LOL. If there is anybody who wants to explain that short answer above...  Wizard  Shrug

if you need that explained you need to listen to more music and play more games and in general think more

but basically how it works is this: ambient music is good for setting atmospheric/environmental moods, and melodic music is good for character themes, main themes, final boss themes, and other things for which memorability or recognizably of a track is required

generally games with good soundtracks use both types of music; they use ambient music for situations like dark caves, forest areas, etc., and melodic music for things like character themes, etc. -- the balance tends to vary from soundtrack to soundtrack, but most good soundtracks have both types of music

example soundtracks with a good balance between the two are:
- chrono cross http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL04ADB121151A2C5E&feature=plcp
- xenogears http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC537D1513657B4E2&feature=plcp

paulhousemanmusic
Level 0

Music Composer / Audio Guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 09:28:53 AM »

Yeah it does come down to the genre a lot, as it does with movies as well. A modern horror game could get away with just textures and atonal stuff, but a classic adventure game or sidescroller is generally expected to have a hummable melody. The rules are there to be broken though!

In my opinion, try to come up with a recognisable melody for your next project. People don't really come up to you and say "Hey you're the guy who composed that "KLINGGG RRAAAAARRGHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHH SHHHHHHHHHH" for that game!"

Paul

Miko Galvez
Level 7

Designer & Engineer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 09:48:01 AM »

Shadow of the Colossus:

Ambiance - Searching for the Colossi, Reaching the Colossi
Theming - Riding the Colossi

Sometimes events may also trigger what kind of music will play. Similarly, Super Metroid did this for the entire game. All the areas of Planet Zebes was ambient because its setting demanded it (something eerie or atmospheric similar to what others have said) but when it comes to Boss Battles you know you're going to get some THEME MUSIC which is basically background music that has this melody indicating the game's event (there is something happening so the game's music must also represent this)

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic