Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 15, 2024, 06:15:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioEasiest music making program
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Easiest music making program  (Read 1326 times)
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: June 30, 2012, 09:09:13 AM »

Okay, I have been thinking about I would like to finally try my hand on making some music. Problem is that I don't know which tool to use.

So far I have tried FLStudio, AnvilStudio, Nanoloop and few others. FLStudio's interface intimidated me more than Blender from 2005 and I couldn't really make head or tails about it. AnvilStudio is more intuitive since it creates midis and works by notation, but to me its interface felt rather clunky to use :S Nanoloop was rather alien to me too though I didn't play too much with it.

So question is which tool you think would be best and easiest to learn for complete beginner like me? I have basic knowledge about notation and can play piano with one hand. As of now I don't care about the music format, midis and mp3s are okay both.

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 09:45:38 AM »

MODPlug Tracker is pretty easy to set up and get going with.

http://www.modplug.com/trackerinfo.html
JackMenhorn
Level 2

Sound Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 11:55:44 AM »

Everything is going to have a curve.  I would pick up GarageBand or REAPER, both are low cost and have docs/tutorials to help you out.  You should care about midi/mp3 as you will want something that can handle BOTH MIDI and audio files.

Sound Designer<br />www.jackmenhorn.com

Nova-111 OST: https://jackmenhorn.bandcamp.com/album/nova-111
PostPre
Level 1

Posted

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 03:02:02 PM »

Pick up Ableton, Reason, Logic, or Reaper and stick with it. They do everything.

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 04:46:08 PM »

I started in FLStuio, I thought, aside from having a bat-shit-crazy interface of 1000 floating windows it was fairly easy to drop in nice sounding synths and filters just to build confidence and feel like you're making rad music despite being a noob.

So in that sense I think it was good to begin on, but now that I've moved to Abelton Live I wish I had started on it, everything about it makes sense, is neatly organised and efficient
however, it is obviously harder to make decent sounding tracks at first, because synths and filters/effects have to be set up more manually, it's harder to be a preset-whore

albinoechidna
Level 0

Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 09:13:45 PM »

Really depends on what you're looking to do.  But I would agree with PostPre that picking up a standard DAW like Reason or Ableton would be the best start.  Better than a tracker, although I don't really like working with trackers so that might be kind of biased.

Collaboration is the best part of any project.
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 09:27:21 AM »

Everything is going to have a curve. -- You should care about midi/mp3 as you will want something that can handle BOTH MIDI and audio files
Of course. I don't fear having to learn a new tool, however so far each tool has felt rather unintuitive to me, perhaps because they differ so much from other computer software.

Also, at the moment I'm just trying to get something simple going on, to just dip my toes into music making. I'm looking for something which is easy to use, rather than all-in-one do anything package.

I'll take a look into Reaper and Ableton now.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 09:45:34 AM by Tumetsu » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic