Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411574 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 05:53:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Game Maker or MMF2?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Game Maker or MMF2?  (Read 10715 times)
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2010, 05:55:42 AM »

Of the game building software, I've only used Construct and Game Maker.  I preferred Game Maker (mostly), but there are certainly things that annoyed me to no end about it.  I think either would be perfectly fine for your needs, and I'd recommend trying both to see which fits your preferences better.
Currently, I'm using Panda3d (Python not C++), and I'm loving it.  If you have any desire to learn Python (and given that just about every game you are going to make in any of the game building suites will require you to do some coding on the level of what you would need to do in Python), then I would definitely tell you to give it a shot.
Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2010, 08:21:22 AM »

Hello , what a well put question!

If we are recommending other languages/libraries too, i'd recommend Blitzmax
It's geared towards 2d games, cross platform (linux mac win) runs very fast, and is a clean and simple language to write in. (as opposed to c++ & OGL/DX Terror)
I'd recommend BlitzMax as well, but only if you want more control over what crap does.
...which you'll eventually need if you work with things like GameMaker.  Gentleman
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2010, 11:09:03 AM »

I know this post will sound ambitious, naive and a bit stupid but, can you make RPG's using flixel?

Shocked Are you mad‽

Yes, you can probably make any kind of 2D game you can dream of! All Flixel does is handle the graphics rendering and a few other technical things, I think. It does not prevent you from giving each character an extra few variables for stats to turn your game into an RPG.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 11:12:19 AM by Skofo » Logged

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2010, 12:40:15 PM »

actually it should be pretty painless using flixel and AS3 for a RPG. With AS3 being OOP and shit.
You really need to use inheritance and shit like that to code a RPG.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Desert Dog
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2010, 01:59:58 PM »

As I haven't really used GM, I can't say how much it compares to it, other than that the Construct runtime is a lot faster than GM's. The downside is that right now Construct is single-platform only, Windows, whereas MMF2 can export to Java (though with limited extension support) and soon Flash and GM getting a Mac port someday. Construct 2 will be built with cross-platform support in mind, though, but it'll still be quite a while before we get that far.

Well, currently, GM is windows only, but there is a mac port being made, and apparently, have got GM games running on the PSP. (with restrictions, of course)

Grumpy Moose
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2010, 01:44:01 AM »

I've mainly been fiddling around with Game Maker this week. I was actually surprised how it was both easy to use and relatively powerful. And I allready know some very basic GML. There are a few problems though. Despite the rather large community there are but a few tutorials I could find that actually discuss GML. For Game Maker I'm mainly interested GML, not the D&D. I actually skipped all the tutorials on the YoYoGames website and started with Derek Yu's tutorial here. That was a very fun tutorial, too bad it was a little short. Also, the room editor is pretty terrible, which is a shame as it's a very important part of the game (No level = no game, right?). I had somewhat hoped that this would have been improved in version 8 from what I saw in 7, but I think it's pretty much the same.

I've managed to put a terrible little platformer together so far. Gameplay-wise it's kind of sucky, but it's written entirely in GML, so I'm pretty satisfied with that. I'm currently only worried about the technical aspect, when I get more confident (and when I've chosen which platform is best for me) I'll start worrying about the actual gameplay. Even though I tried really hard to keep the entire 'code' as clean as possible (because I like it that way), it ended up as a complete mess. Perhaps it was because I didn't think it through enough before I started working on it. It's just sort of a 'test-game' after all. Perhaps I'll post the latest version of the 'game' later on.

After I had a taste of Game Maker, I think I'll check out either ChevyRay's FlashPunk or Construct next week. It's a shame I have so little time. I have to work pretty hard for school since I'm not doing too well there, so I'll see where I manage to squeeze a few hours of game-making in.

So much stuff to check out...
Screamy

Clueless since 1886
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2010, 01:57:27 AM »

for gml i'd recommend skipping the tutorials and just reading through the gml sections of the help manual, several times through. after that you'll have everything you need to know.

Grumpy Moose
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2010, 02:07:30 AM »

for gml i'd recommend skipping the tutorials and just reading through the gml sections of the help manual, several times through. after that you'll have everything you need to know.

Yeah, I found that the manual was pretty well documented and explained in a very clear and simple manner. It helped me out a lot so far. I should take time to sit down and go through the entire thing like you said though. Until now I only looked at it when I was searching for something specific.

Clueless since 1886
Grumpy Moose
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2010, 03:43:34 AM »

If we are recommending other languages/libraries too, i'd recommend Blitzmax
It's geared towards 2d games, cross platform (linux mac win) runs very fast, and is a clean and simple language to write in. (as opposed to c++ & OGL/DX Terror)

What is the difference between Blitz Basic and FreeBasic? As far as I understand it, FreeBasic has some built in graphical libraries which are used to render simple 2D games, no? It's also crossplatform and is supposed to run quite fast. And it's completely free too (as opposed to the 80$ of BlitzMax). I'm probably not getting something here, but as I said, I'm a programming noob.

Clueless since 1886
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2010, 05:45:05 AM »

blitzbasic and blitzmax are two different products (by the same company) blitzbasic doesn't have proper OOP behaviour.
I don't know anything about freebasic, well i guess it's free Wink (it could be good i don't know..)

The thing i really like about the Blitz products is that theyve been building programming languages since the Amiga days (!!), they have a helpfull and professional community, and is not one of these products that suddenly stops updating (PTK anyone?) And most important its especially geared toward 2d graphical game programming.

Grumpy Moose
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2010, 04:29:42 PM »

blitzbasic and blitzmax are two different products (by the same company) blitzbasic doesn't have proper OOP behaviour.
I don't know anything about freebasic, well i guess it's free Wink (it could be good i don't know..)

Don't know how I managed to mess those two up. Anyway, it's obvious that BlitzMax should be the way to go then. Perhaps I'll check out FreeBasic first to see if Basic is anything to my liking.

On a somewhat different note, I decided to show my current 'testproject' because I uploaded it for a buddy of mine anyway.

Here's the .exe:
http://www.mediafire.com/?in1hngwtdyu
... and here's the .gmk: (WARNING: may cause eyes to bleed!)
http://www.mediafire.com/?c3mzez2v42c

They're both pretty huge, but that's because I was retarded enough to include MP3 files I think. I'll try to not make it happen again!

The game itself is EXTREMELY short and easy! I was just fiddling around with what I could do in GM and this is the result. I may make some more (and actually decent levels) if I have some time and when I've polished the technical aspect some more. Also, I know the code is messy, I should think the entire things a bit more through next time...

The controls are mega-simple:
Left Arrow - Walk Left
Right Arrow - Walk Right
Z - Jump
X (Hold 0.5 seconds) - Shoot beam

To proceed to the next screen you usually have to press X, only press space to respawn.

Before playing the game you should note that pretty much none of the actual resources are mine.
  • For the music I used three songs on the following website: http://mp3.tom7.org/t7es/
  • The tileset and background was viciously stolen from Derk Yu's GM tutorial.
  • All character sprites are basically edited sprites of the main dude from Spelunky.
  • All sounds were taken from free sound sites.

I don't claim to own any of these and they were only used for the sake of technical experimentation and prototyping. I hope noone takes offense to this (especially those Spelunky sprites).

The game may require some explaining though, so noone thinks I'm a complete lunatic. If you're not interested in where the "game"s origins lie, then by all means skip the /quoted part below.

I came up with the entire thing due to my lack of inspiration. The game is called Apo's Adventure because it's the adventure of an alien called Apo. Apo is actually *roll drums* a teddy bear/cuddly animal (don't know what it's called in english) I had when I was 8 years old. Unbeknownst to me, he was actually the cartoon character Widget The World Watcher, even though I seem to recall vaguely that I saw a few episodes when I was like three years old. I only found out years afterwards that he was based on a cartoon character. Another cool fact is that his name was taken from Abe, which in turn comes from Abe's oddyssey, because I thought they looked kind of similar. Anyway, being the annoying 8-year old I was, I constantly used Apo (the Teddy Bear) as a way of speaking for me. This naturally drove everyone insane in the house. I even began to invent an entire history/mythology behind him. He was the self-crowned emperor of the Apo Empire. He was an over-the-top dictator that charged 99% taxes on the Apo population and decided to redirect the ENTIRE economy of the planet to the production of Latex Dolls of himself, which he then used to deceive his enemies and deviously escape the most dangerous crime scenes. He had a highly unstable mental state and was know to change moods instantaneously and have changes of heart all the time. He would often wage war agains his brother's empire, the Oppie empire. Oppie (just a blue version of Apo) was never responsible for the war because he was actually the most well-manared man in the universe who spent his days reading scientific magazines and building helicopters out of tin cans. Apo was also a very obsessive character that had his periods of being obsessed over a particular subject. There was this time he spent 2 weeks immitating Hitler (which must have offended more than a few people), the time he spent hosting a spanish-like comedy/game show in which he would pit his brother (which he had kidnapped) against an ox, while putting a bunch of lame sound effects and laughtapes over it. He also had a period of like 3 months where he would only talk nonsensical-spanish and often appeared at press conferences where he did not belong to give false interviews. One of his biggest hobbies was the reenactment of Star Wars battle scenes with frightening realism. Usually these reenactments took place on the planets of smaller races, which would afterwards be extinct. To add insult to injury he was both the most wanted man in the universe AND councilor of the galactic council, making him immune for all his crimes since he had unlimited vetos. ALL OF THIS TOOK PLACE IN MY DERANGED MIND OFCOURSE!

Why is any of this important you say? Because the idea of the entire game is that the game is made by Apo himself (the imaginary madman) and was freely distributed (by throwing huge amounts of copies out of choppers) to the poor people of the Apo Empire. The game is just a piece of propaganda that wants to make the population believe that the Oppies are communo-fascist (realy!) assholes that are hell-bent on destroying Apo empire with a huge stack of nukes. Apo himself goes rogue and infiltrates the vile empire. You may see some very subtle idicators that APOPROPAGANDA CORP. was involved in the making of the game...

I tried to make this a clean and simple testgame to see what I can in GM and instead I ended up with my fantasy taking over and spending no time on the technical aspect or the actual content! Anyway, I was pretty impressed by how quick you can cook something up with GM8.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 08:48:41 AM by Grumpy Moose » Logged

Clueless since 1886
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2010, 06:56:16 PM »

Surprisingly good! Since this is a first game I expected it to be horrible, but I found myself actually enjoying it. Well done! Hand ClapSmiley My biggest gripe was the camera; it would have been nice to see more in the direction I was facing.

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Grumpy Moose
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2010, 04:47:19 AM »

Thank you Smiley! I'm not satisfied with the camera myself either. I wanted it to be a camera that scrolled when I reached a certain border on the screen so that the camera wasn't focused on the character at all time, but I think it should scroll faster indeed. I also don't like how it scrolls when you fall, but I'm still working it!

Thanks for the input Hand Thumbs Up LeftWink

Clueless since 1886
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic