Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 11:33:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Platform Engine by Martin Piecyk
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Platform Engine by Martin Piecyk  (Read 1800 times)
Grumpy Moose
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 11, 2010, 01:23:49 AM »

Yesterday I found this excellent platformer engine developed by Martin Piecyk. Since I didn't find but a single mention of it (very briefly in a thread about tutorials) I thought I might pull peoples attetion to it again. It's the most solid platforming engine I've found for Game Maker so far. I've been playing with the thing for a while and have encountered no bugs so far (though I guess they're bound to exist somewhere). The engine has pretty much any feature you could wish for, except maybe hanging on to walls Knytt-style. Especially the curved solids are rather impressive (though you can walk over any slope as long as it isn't steeper than a 90° angle, which is a bit unrealistic).

You can use the engine in your own game and modify it however you want as long as you mention Mr. Piecyk as the original creator in your game. He was even kind enough to comment everything very decently and he even included a nice little tutorial on how to use his engine should you decide to use it in your game.  Hand Thumbs Up Left Grin Hand Thumbs Up Right

There's also a demo of the engine consisting out of no less than 17 rooms that show off all the features of the engine!  Hand Clap Well, hello there!

For more info and download check out: http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~mfp27/platformengine/

If anyone else allready made a post about, my apologies. I only want to bring this to the attention of people looking for a good engine because they want to play around with it or want to develop their own game but can't get the mechanics down (like me! Embarrassed)

P.S. Piecyk is also making a complete overhaul of his engine that will allow 360° movement like a Sonic game, but judging by the 'last updated' date (2008-10-07), the thing is no longer under developement  Cry

Clueless since 1886
Kazamman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 06:59:06 AM »

This engine is very good for GML beginners IMO.(rather than the crap that's on yoyogames.)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 07:08:24 AM by Kazamman » Logged

Travel<<Try it
[60%]=Engine
[30%]=Sprites
[20%]=Maps
[1%]=Sound
Grumpy Moose
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 05:51:45 PM »

I certainly learned quite a lot from this so far. I'm not going to pretend I get the entire engine, but I learned a lot more from having a look at this then from putting my own insanely messy GML stuff together.  Embarrassed

Clueless since 1886
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic