Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411672 Posts in 69398 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 16, 2024, 05:13:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)D-Pixel (Version 0.953)
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19
Print
Author Topic: D-Pixel (Version 0.953)  (Read 58660 times)
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #300 on: November 06, 2015, 12:21:50 PM »

Oh I see! Yes, I had misunderstood..

There is a 'Hue' paint mode which maps the colours to a 16 colour sub-palette. Basically the current colour has the the row (0 - 16) information changed to what ever row the current pen colour has while keeping the existing column (0-16) information.
I hope that explains it in any easier way than with the math!
surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: November 06, 2015, 01:10:18 PM »

Oh, cool. That works basically the same as in Pro Motion. Screenshot is messed up but I laid out the NES subpalettes like so: http://img.uninhabitant.com/d-pixel_nes.png

Still not ideal though as you'll get multiple colour variants of the same tile appearing in the tile palette.

EDIT:
BUG: I just minimised D-Pixel and cannot restore it.
BUG?: Is the hue mode intended to not work with a custom brush?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 01:16:33 PM by surt » Logged

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #302 on: November 06, 2015, 01:20:07 PM »

Thanks for the screenshot.. now why is the status bar at the top on a white background, it should be black..  Facepalm

The hue mode should work with a custom brush, except if the brush had colours from multiple 'rows'?
surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 06, 2015, 01:23:12 PM »

Thanks for the screenshot.. now why is the status bar at the top on a white background, it should be black..  Facepalm
That's just the messed up screenshot. Looks proper and black in use.

The hue mode should work with a custom brush, except if the brush had colours from multiple 'rows'?
Can't just % 16 all colours?

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #304 on: November 06, 2015, 01:28:20 PM »

Actually, it should just %16 all rows. I'll have to look into it.

Currently trying to work out why the new tileset window isn't scrolling right, and why the brushes panel no longer works!

Arghh.. who'd do programming eh? Sticking with graphics is much easier!  Giggle
Kasumi
Level 0

NES Homebrewer

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: November 06, 2015, 02:25:17 PM »

Oh wow. Hue Paint seems pretty legendary. Yes, that's exactly what I was looking for.

So I guess I wait patiently to see how the new tile palette and such will play out. Ultimately I don't know of another program that has an easy palettized tile workflow.

surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 06, 2015, 02:43:41 PM »

It'd be cool to be able to set a custom step size (4 in the case of the NES) for the hue mode so you could have a big-arse image with multiple screens with different subpalettes without running out of palette space so quickly.

Also a different name for the mode might be be more appropriate. I never even looked at the mode as I expected it to do a hue shift. Hue only really makes sense when using the default palette. Maybe row, range, gradient, modulo or something like that.

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #307 on: November 06, 2015, 11:55:05 PM »

Yes I was already thinking last night that I should change the name.

With regards to smaller steps (4 rather than 16 places), that's something I'd like to add. I really need to add a small settings panel for some of the paint modes. Again, that's been on my list for a while as things to do.
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #308 on: November 07, 2015, 09:28:13 AM »

I've fixed the problem where the brushes wouldn't work - thanks to one old line of code which I had left in by accident.

I've changed the name of 'Hue' to 'Range' and updated the preset brushes to include 2 x user-defined brushes, a 16 x 16 square brush and the 'grid tile' brush. This grid brush automatically resizes and snaps to a full grid square, and so is useful for changing ranges, and applying other paint modes when working with tiles.

Hopefully I will get chance to work more on the Tilemap part of the program tomorrow or next week. Smiley
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #309 on: November 09, 2015, 02:11:15 AM »

Ok, the tilemap window is now up and running. I still need to sort out scrolling, but it resizes to fit the window and picks a zoom which makes the tiles around the same size as an icon.

You can select a tile from the window and draw with it, but that also means I then need to turn off tilemapping.. I probably need a few buttons at the bottom of the window for the various options.

This also ties into what I would need for animations, layers, so I need to think about this some more..
Kasumi
Level 0

NES Homebrewer

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: November 10, 2015, 02:53:27 PM »

Sounds like good progress!

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #311 on: November 11, 2015, 12:35:04 AM »

Working on adding 'secondary tools' window - the idea is that you can select different modes, (canvas, palette, tilemapping, etc..) and then have those displayed to use. If you click on an icon the view changes to that mode and the icons change to show any option / tool icons. There will also be a home icon in each sub panel to return to the main icon list)

Here's how it currently looks with tiles extracted from my mini-rogue mockup:

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #312 on: November 12, 2015, 01:03:19 AM »

The tilemap window is now working properly and this means you can select a tile from the window and draw with it. If you have more tiles than can be displayed in the window then you can use the mouse wheel to scroll through the tiles a page at a time. This means that only a few scroll wheel movements should be necessary to access the full tileset.

The link icon in the tilemap window options is now working correctly, so you can turn it on to have a tile automatically remap to every location in the image where it is used when it is drawn on. Toggling the link icon on or off will also re-analyse the tiles and remove unused one and add new tiles.

I also have the image view window option and a mini palette options window (RGB & HSV sliders) working too.

I've got a few more things to fix, but hopefully I can get a release out for testing in the next few days.
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #313 on: November 14, 2015, 12:18:47 AM »

14th November 2015 - D-Pixel version 0.95 released.
  • Many bug fixes
  • Undo stack now saved on exit for all workspace images
  • Some cosmetic tweaks, more subdued icon colours, shadowed mouse cursors, small colour swatch top-left of fill cursor to avoid filling the wrong colour.
  • Secondary tool options panel featuring different modes, including palette RGB & HSV sliders, and a proper tilemap palette

http://www.retroidea.com/D-Pixel.zip

Smiley
Kasumi
Level 0

NES Homebrewer

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 14, 2015, 04:04:01 AM »

This latest version crashes on my tiled image in most ways I'd want to use it. It's 2160x1032 pixels, with exactly 256 unique 8x8 tiles.

It seems to crash when switching tilemap link on and off. I can load the image, then turn tilemap link on. (Default grid is 15x15). If I turn the grid down to 8x8, that doesn't crash. But turning tilemap off then crashes it. I assume it's due to its size, but I don't think it's unreasonably large.

Also, turning the grid to 8x8 after tilemap is turned on doesn't remap the tiles while the grid is changing. It ends up with tiles that are identical in the tilemap, which results in weird behavior like this:

All I'm doing in between strokes is ctrl+z.

If I start the program, turn the grid to 8x8, load the image, then turn tilemap on, it also crashes. If needed I can PM that file to you. (Well... provided tigsource has no restrictions of that sort of thing for new members.)

With a smaller image, it can crash if you right click quickly and then draw with tilemode active.

Not sure what exactly makes this happen, but I can get it consistently just by right clicking rather quickly.

Does there happen to be an "official" way (i.e., I don't edit things in the panels folder) to zoom without a mouse wheel? I've only got a tablet and a touchpad.

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #315 on: November 14, 2015, 04:19:35 AM »

Arggh!

Ok.. can you PM me the files and I'll see if I can duplicate it on my machine?

Thanks for letting me know, I'll have to look at this!

As for the zoom, not yet. I need to add something to do this still.
Kasumi
Level 0

NES Homebrewer

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: November 14, 2015, 04:35:21 AM »

PM'd you the files.

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #317 on: November 14, 2015, 04:47:01 AM »

Thanks, will look at fixing this crash..
surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 14, 2015, 10:21:59 AM »

Only had a quick play so far, but looking very nice.

Still a couple issues with tile brush grab:
  • Grabbing a box of tiles results in a brush one pixel too thin and short.
  • This is still happening for me:
    And another bug: when grabbing brush with brush mode tile the grab display rectangle disappears when dragging to grab a block of tiles so it's hard to tell just what you're grabbing.
  • Possibly related to the previous point: I can't single click to pick a tile. When in tile draw mode the RMB tile grabbing requires two clicks: one to toggle grab mode, one to confirm. Ideally it could behave just like colour picking (modeless).

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #319 on: November 14, 2015, 11:26:09 AM »

I think you are right about the one click tile mode drawing / grabbing. I will change that.

I'll have to look at the bugs.

I've sent Kasumi a test version that I hope will fix the crashing tilemap issues. If so I can update the download. Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic