Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411562 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 04, 2024, 12:36:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBattleJuice Alchemist – Now in Early Access!
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 37
Print
Author Topic: BattleJuice Alchemist – Now in Early Access!  (Read 77182 times)
fioretto
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #640 on: June 09, 2023, 05:41:23 AM »

Congratz, the game looks great, the mood is spot on
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #641 on: June 12, 2023, 12:05:28 PM »

I'm impressed how much detail you are working into the base building process. Seems like an entirely different game! Are there other things besides relays that you can tuck under ground? Is there a basement (guess that could be an issue with a mobile base, but it is fantasy...)

Well, the foundation level is just 1 cube high. You can't go below that and you need a stone foundation to build most elements upon it. This means you can't really tuck anything down there than the relays for now. Glad you appreciate the details :D

Congratz, the game looks great, the mood is spot on

Thank you so much fioretto!

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #642 on: June 16, 2023, 06:25:28 AM »

I'm impressed how much detail you are working into the base building process. Seems like an entirely different game!

Complete agreement. This continues to look great and I'm shocked (power pun intended) at how much work you're putting into all the base building. When you first started talking about it, never expected it to evolve this much. Quite impressive.

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #643 on: June 18, 2023, 11:02:29 PM »

I'm impressed how much detail you are working into the base building process. Seems like an entirely different game!

Complete agreement. This continues to look great and I'm shocked (power pun intended) at how much work you're putting into all the base building. When you first started talking about it, never expected it to evolve this much. Quite impressive.

Thanks oldblood! The whole base building evolved quite a bit while implementing it and it might continue to do so when I add more structures that can be build. Let's hope people enjoy it as much as I enjoy working on it Wink

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #644 on: June 22, 2023, 11:28:36 AM »

BATTLEJUICE ALCHEMIST DEVLOG:
Award for Best Visual Art at DevGamm!

Hey folks,

I am super proud to tell you that BattleJuice Alchemist won the award for Best Visual Art at DevGamm Vilnius 2023. For those of you who are not familiar with it, DevGAMM was born in the Ukraine in 2008 and has been uniting game industry professionals from Eastern Europe and beyond for over 15 years now. Each conference features multiple networking opportunities, great speakers, and new games from all over the world.

Having taken part in DevGamm last year, I would have loved to go there this year in person myself. But although I could not make it, our producer Alex from ESDigital went and represented us and our game very honorably. We had a booth there where players could play BattleJuice Alchemist:

I still have to debrief Alex whether any hardware was destroyed out of frustration or if everything went smoothly.

We already knew BattleJuice Alchemist was nominated for the Best Visual Art award, but we were not expecting to actually win.

The visual style of our game has always resonated quite well with people when I posted about it, but about two years ago, it was still quite rough around the edges (literally, the lines were way too rough). I think we could never have won a visual art award, if it wasn't for our art director Felix and our 2D/3D artist Patrick, who ironed out our art bible with me and made essential changes so the game could look how it does today.

So everyone here at Alchemical Works and ESDigital is very proud Alex can bring home this heavy beast of a trophy.

Thank you for reading! In our next bi-weekly devlog I'll return to normal and tell you more about what we are currently working on inside the game.

Alain

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #645 on: June 23, 2023, 12:40:06 AM »

Very cool, congratulations! Smiley

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #646 on: June 23, 2023, 06:58:01 AM »

Congrats Alain! More exposure at the event plus an award? Can't ask for much more than that.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #647 on: June 25, 2023, 06:54:05 AM »

Congrats Alain!
dangerz
Level 0

~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #648 on: June 25, 2023, 07:27:35 PM »

That's a really interesting approach to your enemies, thank you for sharing.

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #649 on: June 28, 2023, 12:02:26 AM »

Very cool, congratulations! Smiley

Congrats Alain!

Thanks you two! I really appreciate you always posting and cheering for us here Smiley

Congrats Alain! More exposure at the event plus an award? Can't ask for much more than that.

Thank you! That's right, even if the event is not the biggest in the world, it is relevant, fun, and the organizers are nice people. I can recommend taking part in it!

That's a really interesting approach to your enemies, thank you for sharing.

Glad you like the enemy design! Are you referring to the visuals or mechanics?

vdapps
Level 5

Head against wall since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #650 on: June 30, 2023, 12:11:41 PM »

Wow, big congratulations Alain! Hat off! Gentleman This is every indie dev's dream!

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #651 on: July 03, 2023, 02:05:15 PM »

Wow, big congratulations Alain! Hat off! Gentleman This is every indie dev's dream!

Thank you so much! I am amazed, humbled and can't wait to show you the visual stuff we are currently working on. In my opinion we stepped up our game with the 3d assets recently. A lot of this is credited to Patrick, who is raising the bar with the new characters.

kevin andersson
Level 1

Producer/ Designer by day and Programmer by night

View Profile WWW
« Reply #652 on: July 03, 2023, 08:09:53 PM »

Hey Alain, so glad to read this! Congrats on the award! Hope the development is going well!

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #653 on: July 05, 2023, 01:32:21 PM »

Hey Alain, so glad to read this! Congrats on the award! Hope the development is going well!

Hey Kevin, thank you for the congratulations and for checking in! Development is going great, we are currently implementing new locations, new characters and quests while also preparing for Gamescom Smiley

Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #654 on: July 06, 2023, 04:41:24 AM »

Congratulations Alain!

This game development turns out to be an awesome life event experience as well

Gentleman

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #655 on: July 07, 2023, 03:14:56 AM »

Congratulations Alain!

This game development turns out to be an awesome life event experience as well

Thank you Ramos!!!

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #656 on: July 07, 2023, 03:24:24 AM »

BATTLEJUICE ALCHEMIST DEVLOG:
Making New Creatures

Hey folks,

this week I'd like to take you on a deep dive of how Patrick and I created a new enemy for BattleJuice Alchemist. Although I enjoyed being a solo dev a lot, I love working collaboratively like this. But this brings the challenge to establish pipelines and workflows as a team, where ideally everybody does what they are best at. So let me tell you how this little raven fella came into existence!

Patrick is an illustrator and animator by trade and has been helping me out for years before joining on a permanent basis now. He helped ironing out our art bible, so I did not need to explain to him any details of our guidelines and what we go for thematically and visually. I thought it best to make the skeleton and animations for our new winged enemy type myself, because Patrick does not work with them inside Unreal like I do. I wanted to get this done quickly without a lot of tinkering, so I asked Patrick to make a concept for our general bird skeleton. He came up with this within a few hours:

You can't imagine how much time this saved me. I am not good at visualizing concepts so I usually go into 3D right away and this sometimes turns out to not be very time efficient. But with Patrick's concept, I was able to create our bird skeleton really quick.

I then made the animations while Patrick started making the 3D model for the raven. As you can see, the bones in the skeleton are not bones as you would usually shape them for a flying creature: You would usually only make the bones of the wings, not the wing itself (a bit like Patrick illustrated them in green in his concept). I shaped the bones like full wings to be able to see how they overlap due to our segmented style.

In BattleJuice Alchemist we do not skin our characters, we segment them into individual pieces. This is not just an economic decision, but also because we are nostalgic for this art style. I asked Patrick if he wanted to say something about this...

"I’m a big fan of highly stylized game looks. Also working with segmented low poly characters, hand-drawn textures and cel shading creates unique design challenges.

For instance, imagine you’re trying to draw a classic cartoon chracter but it has multiple demon forms and was just frozen and shattered. Now you’re searching for pieces - wait which head is this or is it an arm? Will this edge be cel shaded or do I draw this outline myself? And remember, squares are divine and green is for demons! Well, working on BJA designs almost feels like ritual magic and I’m loving it."

In case you are wondering, he is referring to our color palette here, which does not allow the color green in any type or form Wink So Patrick made our raven model and textures and also designed the mutated variations.

I really like how everything came together and had a blast working on this. The raven is a very simple creature and I am sure you will be blown away with the more complex characters Patrick is currently designing.

This devlog has become long enough so I have to end it now. Have a great weekend everyone!

Alain

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #657 on: July 10, 2023, 10:11:53 AM »

Aww what a cute flying ravDEAR GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #658 on: July 12, 2023, 01:30:32 AM »

Aww what a cute flying ravDEAR GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Hahaha, I think these mutations are quite cool, especially those tiny hands that come out of its chest in the last form Wink

mobilelast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #659 on: July 15, 2023, 02:40:03 AM »

That’s a great animation: sympathetic and disgusting at the same time.

It resembles wriggling worms emerging from the bird’s stomach. An unfortunate consequence of not chewing before swallowing.

Avaruustaistelupeli (ATP) - a space combat game
- Free download from itch.io or IndieDB
- Dev diary here
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 37
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic