Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411587 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 07:54:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: DOWNLOAD- New Version 4/24/11
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 46
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: DOWNLOAD- New Version 4/24/11  (Read 268261 times)
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 14, 2008, 01:21:46 PM »

Maybe there should just be blockable and unblockable special attacks.

Maybe we just need to give better signals to the "defending" player.

Like,

unblockable attacks = certain sound / certain graphic effect

blockable attacks = other sound / other graphic effect

If "red means unblockable" and "blue means blockable" or something along those lines, we could be creative without being limited too much and still keep a level of fairness.

Only problem I see:
- if lots of players are fighting, will you be able to really hear the sound that you need to hear so much?
- if we go with colors or something, is it too limiting?

I'd still say: A little red/blue sparkle for each special attack should be doable.  Beer!
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: August 14, 2008, 01:25:09 PM »

Or maybe we could just add sparkles for the unblockable attacks. Sort of like unblockable attacks in Soul Calibur are wreathed in flames.

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 14, 2008, 01:29:52 PM »

Or maybe we could just add sparkles for the unblockable attacks. Sort of like unblockable attacks in Soul Calibur are wreathed in flames.
Yes, that would make more sense, actually.

Easier to keep track of (Checking for the color each time might be... too much).

Also, since regular attacks are blockable, too (and don't cast any sparkles), its is coherent and makes perfect sense.  Beer!

EDIT: Oh, one more thing. When someone is close to you and does, say, a high-damage projectile move, you couldnt really tell you can block it until its too late with our old system. With that one = no sparkles = just block it  Cool
cyber95
Level 5

The Computer is your friend.

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 14, 2008, 03:40:08 PM »

There should be a crayon physics level, in a similar vein to the Pictochat level in SSBB, except instead of pictures, contraptions are made with shapes, obviously.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 14, 2008, 11:21:01 PM »

I think sparkles would be good, as long as they have a generic look to them. Taking the Soulcalibur example, I don't really like it because it gives every character a fire theme. I kind of want to know why an undead pirate can set his sword on fire. This just becomes more pronounced with a diverse lineup like in Indie Brawl.

But anyway, that's just a minor art quibble. Apart from that, sparkles would be just fine.

Corpus
« Reply #165 on: August 15, 2008, 08:36:24 AM »

Sparkles are the universal symbol for magic.
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 15, 2008, 08:38:05 AM »

Sparkles are the universal symbol for mojo.
medieval
« Reply #167 on: August 15, 2008, 12:05:58 PM »

Omagawd. This gon be so awesome.

Also, sparks +  GentlemanBeer!

It's a recipe that was unknown until now.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: August 16, 2008, 02:18:43 PM »

Here's the latest release of the engine.

The most notable additions are:
-Three player combat- two on the keyboard, one on a controller
-Naija's moves have been rebalanced
-Many of Naija's moves are now animated (Bless you, Derek)

At this point, full-fledged Naija vs. Naija battles with friends are possible. Tell me how the controller's working, whether or not you like Naija's move set, and whether or not you're satisfied with the current system of shielding.

One other note on shields: If we're using the sparkle system, each character will need at least one unblockable non-missile attack with significant knockback. Naija has two (whirlpool and spike seed), but it's something you'll need to keep in mind when designing a new character.

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 16, 2008, 03:53:59 PM »

The Golden Knight's charged bonesaw attacks will probably be unblockable.

Also, this is clearly turning into a large project. If we're going to go the whole nine yards, we should work on online play. I'm sure there's someone in the forums who knows how to put a game online WTF
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: August 16, 2008, 06:54:51 PM »

Here's the latest release of the engine.

The most notable additions are:
-Three player combat- two on the keyboard, one on a controller
-Naija's moves have been rebalanced
-Many of Naija's moves are now animated (Bless you, Derek)

Wow, the gameplay feels really smooth already. Great job!  Gentleman

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 17, 2008, 12:04:32 AM »

Nice work on the new engine test! The animations make it really smooth. A few minor quibbles:
- Using Whirlpool (up+S) from the ground can sometimes cause a weird flickering of animation. It might be just an animation glitch that will disappear once whirlpool gets an animation, but I thought I'd point it out.
- Recovery moves (up+A and up+S) are hard to use, at least when I'm testing them myself. The problem is that they go in whatever direction you're facing, and you can't change direction after you've triggered the attack. I feel like I should be able to direct the whirlpool/beast charge by pressing a directional key in the moment while it winds up. Instead I end up whirlpooling even further off the screen. This is compounded by the fact that the current jumping animation doesn't indicate which direction you're facing.

Still haven't had a chance to test it out with multiple players.

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: August 17, 2008, 01:36:41 AM »

Also, this is clearly turning into a large project. If we're going to go the whole nine yards, we should work on online play. I'm sure there's someone in the forums who knows how to put a game online WTF

Possibly goldbuick?  Shocked

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: August 17, 2008, 01:58:19 AM »

Great work, Nightshade!  My animations don't look as bad as I thought they would, hehe.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: August 17, 2008, 07:00:46 AM »

Nice work on the new engine test! The animations make it really smooth.
Woo!

A few minor quibbles:
D'oh!

- Using Whirlpool (up+S) from the ground can sometimes cause a weird flickering of animation. It might be just an animation glitch that will disappear once whirlpool gets an animation, but I thought I'd point it out.
It's because whirlpool doesn't have its own animation yet. It just uses whatever animation you were using last, and when that animation is 'preparing to jump', it looks really bizarre.

- Recovery moves (up+A and up+S) are hard to use, at least when I'm testing them myself. The problem is that they go in whatever direction you're facing, and you can't change direction after you've triggered the attack. I feel like I should be able to direct the whirlpool/beast charge by pressing a directional key in the moment while it winds up. Instead I end up whirlpooling even further off the screen. This is compounded by the fact that the current jumping animation doesn't indicate which direction you're facing.
The jumping animation does show you which direction you're facing, if you look closely enough. To change direction before executing an attack, you need to press left or right before the attack button.

Either way, the change you're suggesting would be pretty simple. You'd just need to add this code to the beginning of the whirlpool's first step (if you have the gmk version; I'll add this change to the next release):

Code:
if(r_check())
{
     xscale = 1;
}
if(l_check())
{
     xscale = -1;
}

Still haven't had a chance to test it out with multiple players.
Sad

MekanikDestructiwKommando
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 17, 2008, 11:22:45 PM »

Please put in custom controls! I use a COLEMAK keyboard.
Test worked fine, though I had to hit enter twice at the loading screen (it popped up a second time).

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
Yigguth
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 18, 2008, 11:02:38 AM »

I think it should just be a matter of trial and error for the player to find out which moves are blockable and which ones aren't
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: August 18, 2008, 06:01:57 PM »

Custom controls are coming! The game is not finished yet!  Tongue

If you have the gmk file, it's pretty easy to change the controls, though. Just go to the Control object, and change a few variables in the create event.

___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 18, 2008, 08:21:02 PM »

DONT FORCE FULLSCREEN RAauauahgugha

Game maker has a terrible fucking issue with fullscreen and it pisses me off.  I use two monitors, so game maker goes full screen, fucks up my left monitor to like 320 x 240 or whatever, then the game is displayed on my right monitor in a little window, while the monitor is still at 1600 x 1200.

fffffuck.

Feels good though.
Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 18, 2008, 08:23:11 PM »

Game maker has a terrible fucking issue with fullscreen and it pisses me off.  I use two monitors, so game maker goes full screen, fucks up my left monitor to like 320 x 240 or whatever, then the game is displayed on my right monitor in a little window, while the monitor is still at 1600 x 1200.

this is one of the reasons i dont like GM
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 46
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic