Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411637 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: Danque_Birbington_II

May 14, 2024, 03:09:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsOhio (Toledo) meet-up anyone?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Ohio (Toledo) meet-up anyone?  (Read 4639 times)
SplinterOfChaos
Level 3

View Profile
« on: May 19, 2011, 09:37:40 PM »

I'm here in Toledo, Ohio and i've been wondering for a while what other devs are in the area. Even google didn't find me anything. I'm sure there are others in the area and i doubt we couldn't find a way to meet up if anyone else is interested.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 06:20:11 PM by SplinterOfChaos » Logged

unsilentwill
Level 9

O, the things left unsaid!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 10:11:28 PM »

I'll be around NW Ohio too for a while. I figured I'd go to the Chicago jam someday, but if we can manage to find people around here I couldn't say no.

Linx
Level 0

I like Cookies

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 08:17:12 AM »

Funny, i live in Toledo (Maumee) Ohio Shocked.  I'm only 16 though so im not sure i'd be able to make it to any meetups Tongue

noah!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 08:22:36 AM »

I live pretty close to Toledo, so I'd totally be down for something.
Acid
Level 1

A ninja is you!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 09:30:29 PM »

I'm moving up to Toledo in August to start my Fall freshman year at UT.

I've been dying to go to a jam for years and now that I'm 18, it won't be a problem. :D
SplinterOfChaos
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 02:57:40 AM »

August works for me and i'm also at UT. That time good for anyone else?

Acid
Level 1

A ninja is you!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 05:42:40 PM »

Well, I won't get my class schedule until later on, but I feel like sometime in late August could be good. Does anyone have an idea for a place? I've only been to Toledo twice, so I don't know any of the area except for the streets adjacent to the school.

Just to be helpful, here's a list of stuff we NEED to decide before we can move on to the fun part (themes/game jam name/etc):
Where we're going to have it
How long it will last
Whether people can stay the night(s)

I am so excited for this!
unsilentwill
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 09:18:38 PM »

You two should definitely be homies and proud parents of some new amazing games.

I'm a recent grad and am actually hoping to be somewhere new by August, so maybe a series of Jams, one earlier and one in August. Maybe some post E3 nerdout, reserving a spot for a day or so of coding then food and beverages. And depending where people are at, Bowling Green is a solid small town that might be great for this sort of thing.

SplinterOfChaos
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 04:21:52 AM »

2 of us are going to UT.
2 more live near Toledo.
And 1 recent grad who will be leaving by August.

Ok, it i think it's obvious that Toledo should be the base-of-operations. As for where... I can't think of a single place. A library, maybe, but we'd have to be pretty hush. I just don't know many places around Toledo--not from here. When? unsilentwill, when's the latest you could do? Acid, could you do any earlier than August? Perhaps before your move?

As for what: I don't know that we all agree on this. At the bare minimum, i just wanted to meet other local developers, see what they're doing, be social, share, and learn. Meeting at a coffee shop with a laptop, showing each other projects or talking about ideas could fulfil that (thus: bare minimum). unsilentwill mentioned something about a jam, and i realize i never specified. So, if anyone wants to do a jam, we'll need a little more planning. Find a good location where they won't kick us out.

Durration: A meetup would probably last a day or several hours. So far, there's between 4-5 of us going so an extended social event might not make too much sense. If we do a jam, then numbers don't really matter and we can socialize or work on a project all day.

What do you guys want to do?

Acid
Level 1

A ninja is you!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 04:49:50 AM »

Well, I'm moving there early August. I don't think it'd really be feasible to come earlier than that because it's pretty far from where I live and the gas and possible overnight stays will be a little bit expensive right now. Being a college student, I'm trying to save up as much as I can so that college can be as painless as possible, from my checkbook's perspective. Tongue

Also, I was hoping for a jam, but I'll take what I can get. It will be nice to finally talk to other people about stuff I care about. Where I live geeks aren't looked down upon, but there are few computer nerds. And NOBODY who follows indie games.

But, as sort of a contridiction to my last statement:
I know a couple of people, 2 or 3, who live in the areas nearby Toledo and might be able to make it. (Bowling Green and some parts of Michigan)

Acid
Level 1

A ninja is you!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 03:42:17 PM »

I don't think I'm allowed to bump, but I really want this thing to happen, guys.
noah!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 07:09:30 PM »

If it's any consolation, I fully support the bump. I'd love to see this happen.
unsilentwill
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 07:33:18 PM »

Same. SplinterOfChaos, are you hosting this thing?

SplinterOfChaos
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 02:22:20 AM »

Hosting? Nah, I just got the idea that i wanted to see this happen and posted on a forum. Any of us could host, coordinate, or whatever. For one thing, we need a location.

Acid
Level 1

A ninja is you!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 10:44:03 AM »

I definitely cannot host this year. But maybe in a couple years, after I have established a routine and feel reasonably comfortable with my surroundings and the area, and know of places that would allow us to hold the event, I might be willing to host, with the help of others. But right now I'm going to be a freshman in college, and a kid living on his own for the first time, so I don't really want to maintain a leadership role of this capacity just yet.

Hopefully someone else will be able to host - from the age of 12 I've been trying to find someone who had the same interests and passion as I have for making little games and user experiences. But I've been very unsuccessful in those endeavors. This would be my first chance to really grow as an artist, a hobbyist, and a gamer.
SplinterOfChaos
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2011, 05:09:03 PM »

Well, the only place i can think of, still, is the University of Toledo library. Or perhaps another library in town. Does that sound good to everyone?

In terms of timing, it sounds like not everyone can come at the same time. So let's set two dates. For those of us in the area, going to this event twice shouldn't be a problem. Hell, i'd do it even if i only got to meet one person. How does everyone feel about this?

It's always difficult when it comes to sacrificing the few for the many...

Acid
Level 1

A ninja is you!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2011, 12:12:30 PM »

The UT library sounds perfect. What do you guys think about doing a weekend thing, if you're still interested, I setup my classes already and I have the whole weekend starting from 2PM Friday open every week. But classes don't start until the 22nd, so before that pretty much every day is fine.

I'll post here when I'm finally moved up there.

:D
Acid
Level 1

A ninja is you!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2011, 03:17:56 PM »

Again, sorry for the double posts, but I feel like I'm the only one in my area who wants to do this. Sad

Please SOMEBODY help me make this happen. I didn't want to organize this myself, and if I'm going to it's probably going to have to happen sometime next year, but I want this to happen. I want to hang with like-minded people who have this same hobby/interest/passion. I wanna make games and act stupid with new friends! I know we can do this, Ohioans and other surrounding residents!
SplinterOfChaos
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2011, 06:19:41 PM »

Arg, i stopped frequenting this site and totally forgot i started this thread! I have no idea how to organize something like this, so i apologize for not doing much for this.

Acid, you said you were living here now (student?) so at least we can meet up. If anyone is still fallowing this thread, i'd still like to do something, but it's incredibly apparent to me that the only thing that can be done at this point is just picking a date and time to meet in the library, if that's even feasible at this point.

noah!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2011, 08:14:20 PM »

Just dropping by to say that I'd still be interested in making this work. What dates do we want to shoot for? (I'm free weekends and most evenings)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic