Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411633 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: wcored

May 13, 2024, 05:44:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsWriting a book on game jams. Share your wisdom!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Writing a book on game jams. Share your wisdom!  (Read 1769 times)
McFunkypants
Level 0

Breakdance McFunkypants

View Profile WWW
« on: July 18, 2011, 02:38:19 PM »

I am writing a book on game jams.  As part of the research I wanted to ask you if you had any anecdotes or advice you’d like to share for achieving game jam success!  In particular, funny stuff is what I’d like to hear most. =)  One liners, haiku, yoda-like wisdom… you name it.

If you met a first-timer about to join Ludum Dare, a TIGJAM, the GGJ, etc what would be the most important single piece of advice you would give him or her? How do you survive a game jam and avoid death from starvation, overdosing on caffeine or suffering from lack of sleep/sunlight/basic personal hygiene? What is the best way to make it to the finish line? What kind of games are most likely to WIN? Do you have a list of “top-ten-tips”? What’s the best way to FAIL a game jam?

If you have any blog posts that are “postmortems” of your past game jam experiences or rants or wisdom you’d like to impart, I would be most grateful if you shared them.

Any advice for me regarding the book itself?  What would you like to read about in a book called “The Game Jammer’s Handbook” or “Game Jam Survival Guide”?  Please post a comment with your suggestions, words of wisdom, jokes, anecdotes and any advice you may have for me.

Thanks so much.  Keep on jamming!

McFunkypants
blog: http://www.mcfunkypants.com
twitter: http://twitter.com/McFunkypants
google+: http://gplus.to/gamedev

Breakdance McFunkypants - Indie Game Dev - www.mcfunkypants.com
Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 03:52:39 PM »

I think one of the most important things to remember is to keep the scope of your game very small. For example, your game may only have one level or one main mechanic.

You also shouldn't be spending alot of time on minor details like what colour your main characters top hat should be.

Keep it simple!

I think this book is a really nice idea. I hope it all works out! Smiley

McFunkypants
Level 0

Breakdance McFunkypants

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 04:28:09 PM »

Thanks for the tips!  Although TIGForums is quiet (quite likely because I'm a newbie here), the outpouring of support on the Ludum Dare website, twitter, google+ and my blog has been phenomenal.  In one afternoon I've received nearly one hundred suggestions, anecdotes, tips and even one haiku!  The guys from the Global Game Jam (Ian Schreiber and Foaad Khosmood) have offered to be interviewed or write sections.  The guys behind Ludum Dare (Mike Kasprzak and Phil Hassey) are also on board, along with Game Jam organizers and participants from a few other groups well known in the game jam scene.  I'm simply amazed at the response.

The book is a go - I have a publisher.  It will be available in print and e-book. 

People of TIGForums - I'd love to hear more tips.  If not here, then at http://ludumdare.com/compo/

In particular, what are the best ways to FAIL at a game jam. 

Breakdance McFunkypants - Indie Game Dev - www.mcfunkypants.com
Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 06:24:11 PM »

If i find the time i'll try to write something more substantial for you. I've done a few LD's myself, and i have a strong interest in games dev with constraints (time or otherwise).

I'm sure someone else will pop in this thread sooner or later.
You might have attracted more attention if this thread had been placed in the "Announcements" section. Get Togethers tends to go mostly unchecked unfortunately.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic