Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411636 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: Danque_Birbington_II

May 14, 2024, 12:41:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsPsychotronix [SF Bay Area-- bad film festival]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Psychotronix [SF Bay Area-- bad film festival]  (Read 1704 times)
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« on: August 02, 2011, 08:28:28 PM »

This is a little off format, but I thought this might be of some interest to the indie game crowd as CONNOISSEURS OF NONSTANDARD ART. This is happening this Saturday; anyone interested in a group pilgrimage?

http://kfjc.org/promotions/psychotronix/index.php

Foothill College and their radio station KFJC 89.7 has a periodic event they call the Psychotronix Film Festival, in which they show what I believe the curator calls "disposable media": commercials, Scopitones, animated shorts for kids, and terrible, terrible movies. Film created not with the goal of being watched and treasured for years but with the intent of being watched once and forgotten forever. In other words: total garbage. If you are interested in camp, Psychotronix is basically the finest source of camp I have ever found. Imagine watching MST3K, except instead of three robots as company you have 100 or so people who really liked MST3K.

I've gone a few times, and have been treated to the following experiences:

- A soap commercial starring Ronald Reagan
- The first 3D film ever made, from like the 30s (it was basically 20 minutes of things-jump-at-camera scares)
- The Charlie Brown Christmas Special, as sponsored by Coca-Cola
- Lurch from The Addams Family performing a song called "Do The Lurch"
- An experience completely lost to our generation: Getting to watch Looney Tunes cartoons in a crowded room full of laughing people

If you are interested in this, it's Saturday Aug. 6, 7 to 11 PM (though it's a good idea to arrive at 6 or 6:30), at room 5015 at Foothill College-- it's about an equal drive from SF and the south bay. You need to bring $5 CASH and another $2 cash for parking (and carpooling is advisable because of the pay-to-park thing). Anyone piqued?

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 08:49:52 PM »

OKAY AND JUST AFTER MAKING THIS POST I discovered I can't go this time.

But you should go because it is awesome.

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic