Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411673 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 17, 2024, 05:02:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTORQ challenge - 3d openworld off road ATV game (Alpha Stage?)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: TORQ challenge - 3d openworld off road ATV game (Alpha Stage?)  (Read 710 times)
MrniCeguy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: October 10, 2016, 04:29:25 PM »

Hello everyone, this is my first game in about 10years. I spent much of my teenage nerd years messing around with blender, but i haven't done anything like since. I happened to notice about six months ago that unity was free, and here we are 100s of hours later ha.

Let me Present TORQ Challenge (might do "TORQ Racing" too someday if there's demand for it)..

here's the website http://www.torq.site

and a quick overview of some features.. and planned features.. it's still lacking A LOT of content(money/upgrade system, more challenges, rider experience level, and on and on and on and.... Wink ) but it's playable and the map and physics are pretty solid.. i'm not really sure how this works but i think that would make this "late alpha" stage? Anyway, I digress, back to the point...

(heres the youtube video, wasn't sure how to link the image to it...anyone know?)  youtu.be/Pmij--VTHH0
TORQ Challenge

Fast paced off-road action for mobile! Jump, slide, twist and flip your way through an open world environment.
Earn upgrades and experience by completing challenges, gaps and more...

Innovative Controls...

Separate controls for rider and machine. Tilt to move the rider and shift your weight, while at the same time using the on-screen interface to control the quad. The independent setup allows for an intense level of depth and variation that rewards the player with a more connected feel that takes time to truly master.

Open World Environment...

Explore an expansive handcrafted map. No auto-generated terrain here, every path, bush, bump, and mountain were created one at a time with detailed attention. You're rewarded for exploring, go out and see what you can find...
or just have fun flying around!

Challenges and Level Objectives...

Find and complete challenges, ranging from easy to hard, scattered across the map. From "Collect TORQ" to "Hill Climb Survival" and "One Flew Over the Canyon" every challenge is unique and will challenge you in different ways. Their counterpart, Level Objectives, can be performed anywhere (ex. land a double backflip) but must be completed before your player can advance to the next experience level

Arcade Game Built From a Simulation Base...

Months were spent refining and improving the simulated suspension, friction, and control mechanics, all involving involving many many variables and factors for a truly fun and believable off road vehicle. However, the actual level design/objectives are geared towards performing the impossible, 300+ft jumps, multiple flips, driving on walls, while riding a "real" simulated vehicle.

Action Based Experience System...

Earn experience for everything you do. Not just challenges and level objectives, but wheelies, jumps, gaps, flips and more. The better you do the bigger the reward. Improve your landing so you can land bigger jumps. Widen the balance point for wheelies. The more you do, the better you CAN do!

well, thats my little intoduction. I've taken a few days off to get my first footprints down online but progess updates should be coming in pretty regularly, just for my own records if nothing else ha.

Thanks for checking it out, and I'm looking for more testers who won't be quite as "nice" as my friends Wink. I need some unbiased input. If you're interested just let me know.

[EDIT] I want mention somewhere at the start, I don't think advertisements have any place in a video games, mobile or otherwise. I was appalled enough the first time i saw "real" billboards in NFS years ago. Things have just gotten ridiculous in my opinion. There's a building trend/mindset that i think is really hurting the gaming industry as a whole. I can understand the position, and financially they're right, I just don't agree. It's nice to see some like minded people on here.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 07:19:19 PM by MrniCeguy » Logged
MrniCeguy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 07:18:46 PM »

I, MrniCeguy, being of sound mind and body, do hereby declare an update.

A sound update that is.

I've spent the last few days getting some audio in place in the game. After many hours of throwing bags of tools around my apartment and making a public spectacle of myself sliding an empty shoe through the dirt I've finally got something i think works.

There's 5 different "crash" and 5 "soft hit" noises that randomly cycle and crossfade between each other, increasing and decreasing in intensity depending on the force of the collision. The guy has 6 "hurt" sounds that play if damage is taken in rag-doll mode. He also will make the "hurt" noise if your landing was really close to knocking you off(so you know you BARELY landed it). There's also tire-roll, tire-slide/burnout, and character body-slide noises that change pitch and intensity depending on speed/amount.

I did my best using multiple rpm samples/cross fading and editing to try to get a decent engine noise, but ATV's are really hard to emulate. I need better samples really.. these were taken from the best of the best youtube vids but it's still pretty embarassing.. but it KINDA sounds like a quad? Hopefully before the actual release I'll find something better...

Which brings me to the second half of this update,

ALPHA DEMO NOW AVAILABLE!

here's a link https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ihng2165a67pk4/TORQchallenge.apk?dl=1
you can also visit the website and look under the "NEWS" tab if you'd prefer a pointless harder way to do things.

There's no challenges turned on, and only a few un-marked gaps, but the whole world is there to explore and play with. I know playtesters are hard to come by, but if you're bored it's actually a lot of fun! more to come soon...
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic