Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411674 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 17, 2024, 06:46:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSoulstice - A Tale of Two Souls
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Soulstice - A Tale of Two Souls  (Read 710 times)
yhsper
Level 0

Game Designer and Developer

View Profile WWW
« on: October 21, 2016, 12:34:23 PM »

Hi, folks!

Soulstice is a co-op puzzle platform we created for GBJam 5. It landed 20th place (out of 402 entries) and the positive feedback we received made us want to expand it beyond what the time constraints of the jam allowed. So here we are! Gomez

LINK FOR THE JAM VERSION: https://yhsper.itch.io/soulstice

The game is actually based on a short story by Brazilian writer Machado de Assis called "The Academies of Siam." In this story, the two protagonists, the prince of the Kingdom of Siam and its lover, learn a magic spell that allow them to exchange bodies. Mechanically, this comes up in the game in the following sense: each player has a different skill (player 1 can double jump, player 2 can push crates around) and the only way both players can get to the end of each stage together (otherwise they can't progress) is by swapping their bodies and sharing their powers.

This is Kinn, being controlled by the Day player (player 1)...

...and this is Kala, being controlled by the Night player (player 2).

We consider that the game is not far from being completed, but there are still some things we want to do with it, and, at this point, we'd really appreciate your feedback! Does Soulstice looks captivating? Would you call a friend or loved one to play this game with you? What would you change?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Ygor, Werther (from Midipixel) and Wilson (from Vaca Roxa)
yhsper
Level 0

Game Designer and Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 05:16:06 AM »

Well, I hope double posting is not an issue over here (I'm new to the TIG, so be kind!) Just wanted to share with you folks some news about the game Gomez

I've been sporadically adding stuff to Soulstice since GBJam 5 ended. One of the first things I did was to add a collectible. I wanted to do this for the jam, since collectible items are a great way of inviting players to fully explore all stages. Since the original short story (it can be read here, in case anyone is interested) which inspired the game presents fireflies in almost mythological fashion, I decided to use them. So there you go: the fireflies!

Another thing that was very hastily implemented in the jam version were the "cinematics." I couldn't add text to explain what the animations meant or to narrate what was happening. Although this might have imparted these with an enigmatic aura, this was not my intention! Smiley Now I added some story to go along with these animations. Each player, as one of the "souls" of the game, reads a slightly different version of the events, as if through the lenses of his or her own perception.

There are still many things I want to do in the game. Hopefully, in the next update, I'll be able to share some news about new mechanics and new stages! But I'd love to know what you think of the game so far!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic