Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 11:43:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLast in the Void - Atari 2600-like Survival Game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Last in the Void - Atari 2600-like Survival Game  (Read 1325 times)
16soft
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2015, 08:49:37 PM »

Last in the Void, in one sentence, is a throwback to the Atari 2600 games of old, as well as being what I consider the essential survival horror game.

Now wait, you scream and point fingers at me saying that the market is oversaturated with survival horror games, why couldn't I do something simpler? This game isn't about combat, or crafting, or even pretty graphics, it's just about exploring a large pseudo-random world and getting a high score. I'm taking everything that's unnecessary and stripping it down to the basics, the fear of losing. It's not complex, nor is it the greatest, but it's something I've wanted to do, and decided that this way would be the best.

Gameplay
The clock ticks down, and you begin to hunger. You search frantically for a bit of food before your hunger depletes, but then you realize that you're starting to get sleepy as well. What do you decide- sleep for a few hours so you could get the food you need faster, or do you slog on, moving slower because of exhaustion?
You get points for merely surviving. Not surviving well, just surviving.

Pre-Alpha Gameplay Footage

(Yes, it's missing like 95% of assets and gameplay, it's just a minimum viable product at this point)

Most updates will be here. No idea how else I'm going to take this, but I'm already happy with what I have.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 08:35:03 PM by 16soft » Logged
EddieBytes
Level 1

I have ideas, and I'm not afraid to use them

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 11:59:45 PM »

This game isn't about combat, or crafting, or even pretty graphics
In a nutshell, everything gamers actually care about. If you are going the experimental route, I would at least suggest you excel in graphics. It is your business card and your attention grabber, without that nobody will care enough to find out more about your awesome, unique, out of this world etc gameplay.
I hope this is useful feedback to you.

Check out our thread for Boltus
marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 12:53:45 AM »

I think its a great idea and follows the principle of scrum if I am not mistaken. It's something I would like to try myself, good luck on sticking to the path for the final 95%

beeglebug
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 03:25:37 AM »

In a nutshell, everything gamers actually care about.
lol

16soft
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 04:22:48 AM »

In a nutshell, everything gamers actually care about. If you are going the experimental route, I would at least suggest you excel in graphics. It is your business card and your attention grabber, without that nobody will care enough to find out more about your awesome, unique, out of this world etc gameplay.
I hope this is useful feedback to you.
It's a university student's game experiment, it's not going to be amazing or even with a price tag on it exceeding a dollar (and honestly, I'm like 99% sure that I won't even charge that). I know my limits, I'm not going to try and beat them, this is why that's this game's art style. I don't know how to make good AI, I don't have everything set up amazingly, nor do I feel like forcing players to race against the clock trying to make a shovel and a blow up doll from a jug of water, a razorblade, and 3 beanie baby dolls. Don't think I'm not grateful for it, I just don't see it as being applicable in this game.

If I wanted to, it would take me a short time to set my background tile to transparent and load up a bunch of static backgrounds as well as a tile for the walls so it would look pretty and random (because that's the hot thing right now), but at that point, it would just look like The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth but with survival elements.
16soft
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 08:34:52 PM »

Update 1

Well, today was surprisingly productive, even though I only had like 4 hours to work on this. Basic scoring was implemented, the time mechanic was implemented, a few background stats were implemented (but they don't render yet), and what's this?

Items can now be found, which give boosts to your stats, allowing you to survive for longer.

I'm not sure how to better draw a water bottle in a 8x8 tile using one color per horizontal line & transparency, if anyone has any ideas or examples from Atari games, I'd love to see them.
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 03:33:28 AM »

Code:
..####..
..#..#..
.#....#.
.######.
.######.
.######.
Something like that?
16soft
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2015, 05:44:59 AM »

Code:
..####..
..####..
.#....#.
.######.
.######.
.#....#.
.######.
.######.

Just went with this, and it looks as good as it'll probably get. Maybe I should work on its palette, but for now, it works.
16soft
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2015, 12:30:26 PM »

Made a player sprite that I should really fix, and now this features the complete UI and a sandwich!

You're going to have to explore a bunch, but you also have to remember to keep your items up and full or else you will die from starvation and thirst. And they don't respawn, so be sure when you eat something whether or not it's something you need now or will need later.

Sleep was removed because I realized that then it's not as fun.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic