Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411646 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 07:36:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSuper Jet Pack Game Devlog: Costs, Insights, Logs, Information all inside!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Super Jet Pack Game Devlog: Costs, Insights, Logs, Information all inside!  (Read 420 times)
codejoy
Level 0

Daddy Coder Gamer Photographer

View Profile WWW
« on: September 19, 2015, 07:32:42 PM »

The Super in it is a homage to the Super Nintendo.  My favorite game system of all time.    So here is the start of the log of the game, it has actually been in development for 14 months in off/free time.  It is amazing how fast that time goes.  During that time the game has gone from a simple fly around and avoid stuff get the item exit level to a more jump shoot fly with actual platformer like physics.  The game is made in Unity inspired by a Lynda training I took.  I have always wanted to make a platformer so I went ahead and got crazy starting it.  Did I bite off more than I could chew?  Yes and no.  I have made games before (even some published on old gaming systems like the Tapwave Zodiac, yah never heard of it?  I know... a lot didn't)  So I was up for the programming task though I was 14 months ago very new to Unity.  I have a learned a lot in that time. 

I will share things I guess here as they come mostly if anyone wants to ask specific questions on how to make/plan/build a game of this nature and I will even reveal the numbers involved (art cost, music costs etc).

The art I am not making but do contract an artist for and the music I will also be contracting, sound effects as well.

The plans for the game are just to make a game start to finish.  The other inspiration was the now defunct release of the Unity Play Station mobile to make games on the vita.  It seems to no longer by supported so yah, the other final inspiration was to make a game start to finish and have it on a console.  In my original case that was Ouya (me and my defunct systems) Smiley

I put a post for the game to be play tested here:

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=50369.0

(no hits yet) but I will keep the links to the game demos there most likely.

Some screenshots of it:

codejoy
Level 0

Daddy Coder Gamer Photographer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 07:34:02 PM »

A new version of the physics code I am using came out (it is a great asset in the unity asset store for very platformy physics).  I got my code base up to this new version and now have interaction between physics objects AND the non-physics based stuff like the movement and characters.  For anyone who cares it is called the Corgi Engine and is pretty awesome!

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/26617
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic