Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411630 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 12, 2024, 10:40:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingUniversal All-Stars Battle Royale
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Universal All-Stars Battle Royale  (Read 916 times)
TestTrek
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 10, 2013, 03:47:46 PM »

This project has been discontinued.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 09:00:36 PM by TestTrek » Logged
deathtotheweird
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 06:45:56 PM »

muffin knight clone

which is a clone of super crate box

player movement is too slippery
collisions between enemies often fail (pass right through them)
kassadin's hitbox is too large, making it hard to make vertical jumps.
delay on kassadin's riftwalk makes it difficult to time properly (and is not a very useful skill anyways)
mario's fireball travels too slow
having that chip select dialog show up every time you get megaman disrupts flow. I would remove it, as well as the "battle start" thing.
map feels too small.

the entire game uses the arrow keys and shift key but when you get viewtiful joe you add more buttons. would be better if you keep it simple, give each character a single defining move with one key and perhaps different movement functions using the arrow keys (like you did with mario) and that's it. viewtiful joe is the farthest I got so I can't comment on the characters after him.

also it's a bit confusing that some characters can jump on enemies and kill them but some cannot. in my opinion you should give all of them that ability or none of them should have it.

it's an interesting idea for a fan-game, but it's still a fan-game (the lowest form of game imo). and it's not just a fan-game is a clone of game that's a clone of another game. so it's like you're trying your hardest to not be original.

(sorry for no caps I'm lazy tonight)
TestTrek
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 08:03:18 PM »

player movement is too slippery

feels fine to me. its supposed to be fast paced.

collisions between enemies often fail (pass right through them)

When specifically do collisions not work? If you mean after changing characters then its because after collecting a muffin you gain temporary invincibility indicated by the spinning star located on your character.

kassadin's hitbox is too large, making it hard to make vertical jumps.

Then its working as intended. The difference of size between some characters adds to the challenge of the game requiring you to think twice before moving somewhere a smaller character could easily travel to.

delay on kassadin's riftwalk makes it difficult to time properly (and is not a very useful skill anyways)

I'll consider shorterning the delay.

Also, being able to clear out a whole row of enemies in few seconds seems pretty useful to me.

mario's fireball travels too slow

I disagree. Making it faster would just increase the chance of it hitting a wall than an enemy. Try to estimate the direction and enemy would go in before shooting a fireball.

having that chip select dialog show up every time you get megaman disrupts flow. I would remove it, as well as the "battle start" thing.

I thought about that. I'm not going to remove it as I'll be adding in many better chips in the future, but I'll probably add in an option to disable the chip select screen when you first change into megaman EXE. Do you think that will help perhaps?

map feels too small

Adding in more maps is on my to do list.

the entire game uses the arrow keys and shift key but when you get viewtiful joe you add more buttons. would be better if you keep it simple, give each character a single defining move with one key and perhaps different movement functions using the arrow keys (like you did with mario) and that's it.

I think the mulitple abilities of some characters adds to the fun of the game. Also it creates new opportunities to escape a crowd of enemies or to take them down. For example using VJ's zoom.

also it's a bit confusing that some characters can jump on enemies and kill them but some cannot. in my opinion you should give all of them that ability or none of them should have it.

It does take some getting used to, but I am thinking about adding in a powerup that allows everyone to jump on enemies.

it's an interesting idea for a fan-game, but it's still a fan-game (the lowest form of game imo)

I disagree. Some fan games are excellent and a blast to play. See: Psycho Waluigi and Toad strikes back.

and it's not just a fan-game is a clone of game that's a clone of another game. so it's like you're trying your hardest to not be original

I tried to make the core mechanics (enemy types, level design, etc) the same as those two, but as far character usage and character ability goes, I'd say its pretty unique.

Thanks for the feedback dude.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 08:25:00 PM »

it's slippery because when I let go of the left/right key I expect to stop, not slide.

and I didn't know what that star meant, I barely even noticed it actually. but I think that's why I thought the collisions weren't working.

Then its working as intended. The difference of size between some characters adds to the challenge of the game requiring you to think twice before moving somewhere a smaller character could easily travel to.

that sounds good in theory, but in practice it actually feels clumsy and awkward.

I'll probably add in an option to disable the chip select screen when you first change into megaman EXE. Do you think that will help perhaps?
no. honestly you shouldn't be afraid to remove things in your game that simply don't work. this is definitely one of them. if you wanted to keep the chip select thing, make it separate from the gameplay. add an option in the main menu to adjust the chips and leave it at that.

or, since you seem so adamant on keeping the extra keys (like for joe), just have X open up the dialog. but I wouldn't ever have it pop open unrequested, it just feels out of place.

Some fan games are excellent and a blast to play. See: Psycho Waluigi and Toad strikes back.
even a broken clock is right twice a day.
TestTrek
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 08:51:50 PM »

it's slippery because when I let go of the left/right key I expect to stop, not slide.

I see it now. After letting go of the key the character continues moving for a little less than half a second. Definitely not TOO slippery though. Infact, it's barely noticeable and has little affect on gameplay in my experience.

I'll probably have to get some more opinions before I change that.

that sounds good in theory, but in practice it actually feels clumsy and awkward.

At first yes, but after testing Kass for awhile, his Riftwalk ability more than makes up for it.

no. honestly you shouldn't be afraid to remove things in your game that simply don't work. this is definitely one of them. if you wanted to keep the chip select thing, make it separate from the gameplay. add an option in the main menu to adjust the chips and leave it at that.

or, since you seem so adamant on keeping the extra keys (like for joe), just have X open up the dialog. but I wouldn't ever have it pop open unrequested, it just feels out of place.

That's not what I was saying. I'm adding in an option that lets the chip select screen never pop up unless the player requests it, so that the game flow is never interrupted by something out of the players control.

even a broken clock is right twice a day.

yep, which is why I would never categorize all fan games as the lowest form of game.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 09:42:35 PM »

At first yes, but after testing Kass for awhile, his Riftwalk ability more than makes up for it.

except it doesn't. the hit-box causes issues on vertical jumps, which is irrelevant in regards to riftwalk which is a horizontal movement modifier.

Infact, it's barely noticeable and has little affect on gameplay in my experience.
small annoyances add up over time, why dismiss this concern when you could test it yourself to see how it feels?

not even sure why you're asking for feedback when you're just brushing aside everything I say.
TestTrek
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 05:00:28 AM »

except it doesn't. the hit-box causes issues on vertical jumps, which is irrelevant in regards to riftwalk which is a horizontal movement modifier.

It's relevant because you can use riftwalk in combination to get to some platforms more safely than many other characters. Yeah, its harder to make some jumps, but by using Kass you have to compromise some mobility for safer travel.

Infact, it's barely noticeable and has little affect on gameplay in my experience.
small annoyances add up over time, why dismiss this concern when you could test it yourself to see how it feels?

I did test it, which is why I said 'I see it now' in my previous post.

As I said earlier its barely noticeable to me and not an annoyance at all.

not even sure why you're asking for feedback when you're just brushing aside everything I say.

It's actually quite the opposite. I've addressed all your points and gave my opinion on them. 

Just because I don't say 'sure allen I'll change that' to all your suggestions, doesn't mean I'm brushing them off.

The chip select comment was a great suggestion and it will be changed in the future.
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 05:21:59 AM »

I think having different speeds is really annoying.

The game was somewhat gentle and casual, not sure if this is what you're looking for. Maybe change the music?

You need to take the star off the person. Maybe have him flash or something instead. It was difficult to see.

I agree with allen, the Rift guy was pretty useless.

Um, some characters have a shadow that makes them taller?

Overall, good try, just needs to be a heck of a lot more polished.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
TestTrek
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 07:21:23 AM »

I think having different speeds is really annoying.

yeah, I'm thinking of setting a global movement speed. it is kind of hard to adapt to a new characters speed on the spot.

The game was somewhat gentle and casual, not sure if this is what you're looking for. Maybe change the music?

yep, this is a casual game. was it too easy for you? what is your highscore?

You need to take the star off the person. Maybe have him flash or something instead. It was difficult to see.

flashing sounds good. added to my to do list.

I agree with allen, the Rift guy was pretty useless.

Try to use riftwalk whenever you can. If done successfully, kass can be almost always invincible, which is far from useless.

Um, some characters have a shadow that makes them taller?

I assume your talking about bomberman. I think his shadow is colliding with the ground instead of his feet. Will fix.

Overall, good try, just needs to be a heck of a lot more polished.

Keep in mind this is version alpha 0.1, which means its in heavy development. I still have a tremendous way to go.

Thanks for testing, and for the feedback man.
TestTrek
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 01:57:14 PM »

project over...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 09:00:59 PM by TestTrek » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic